Home

Trap lubrication

Posted By: Nick27

Trap lubrication - 02/19/24 03:57 AM

First year trapper. Is there a way to lubricate leg hold traps without using the wax method? I got two weeks left and have some rusty traps (I have dye for them for next year) but they are moving hurky jurky. Thoughts? I got my eyes on a bobcat and i don’t know enough a scent or anything.
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: Trap lubrication - 02/19/24 04:23 AM

Wax is all I would use. You could just wire brush heavy rust, boil to clean the trap then wax. I have no experience with cats but oil is a definite no go for canines.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Trap lubrication - 02/19/24 12:19 PM

OR... using a JC Conner tip....clean traps the best you can, wire brush if necessary rinse off in water and then fire them a few times. Then take a piece of paraffin wax and rub along areas where trap springs on long springs and trap jaws and levers on coil springs make contact. The wax acts as a lubricant and speeds firing.
Posted By: Trappeur Gunny

Re: Trap lubrication - 02/19/24 12:27 PM

I don't know if it will work where you are at, but down here in south Louisiana I don't wax any of my traps. The reason is wax holds scents. If a wax trap gets contaminated in my side by side or pirogue, I have to bring it home and remove the wax and start over. Now I just use a dip of 50/50 acetone and rusty metal primer. Two coats will last several seasons. I trap everything from brackish water to high acid soil of piney woods. My traps hold up really good and clean up fast. But I don't deal with frozen ground and everything you guys up north have.

How effective is this coating for keeping them fast? I was given a rusty MB 750 that when it fired it was like it in slow motion. I didn't have time to do my normal routine, so I just used a rattle can of rusty metal primer. Now it fires like a champ and is going on the line this week.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Trap lubrication - 02/19/24 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by MChewk
OR... using a JC Conner tip....clean traps the best you can, wire brush if necessary rinse off in water and then fire them a few times. Then take a piece of paraffin wax and rub along areas where trap springs on long springs and trap jaws and levers on coil springs make contact. The wax acts as a lubricant and speeds firing.

This...
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Trap lubrication - 02/19/24 03:29 PM

Just soak in vinegar…pull it and you have a brand new looking trap that should function.
Posted By: Fourcoil

Re: Trap lubrication - 02/20/24 01:17 AM

Just dye um wax um. And use um. Tune um first.
Posted By: iayogi17

Re: Trap lubrication - 02/20/24 01:53 PM

if we are talking land sets for bobcat, take your traps dip them in floor wax if you feel that they need some type of treatment then put the traps to work
© 2024 Trapperman Forums