Home

PA Cable Restraint Building

Posted By: washxc

PA Cable Restraint Building - 02/16/24 11:06 PM

I've been enjoying running cables this year and I'm looking to buy components to make a bunch for next year. From reading on here and the little bit of experience I've had thus far, I'm looking to run 1x19 cable with a microlock.

I'll hammer on nuts for the stops.

Do you guys hammer on an annealed nut for the end stops, or use the swagger to do an aluminum stop button or ferrule? I've got a swagger.

Curious what the more experienced PA (or other CR states) have found works best.

Thanks!
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: PA Cable Restraint Building - 02/16/24 11:42 PM

I've made and used thousands of snares. Never had one bit of trouble with properly swagged aluminum stops and ferrules. I used a hammer when I first started building my own, is sucks. A swagger is much more enjoyable to use.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: PA Cable Restraint Building - 02/17/24 01:39 AM

Although it is an extremely rare occurrence, ADC is right.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: PA Cable Restraint Building - 02/17/24 02:04 AM

Not swinging a hammer is one of the main reasons I prefer to run snares. Known some longliners that have had to get cortisone shots for their elbow before season because they pounded on hammers thousands a time a season for years.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: PA Cable Restraint Building - 02/17/24 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Although it is an extremely rare occurrence, ADC is right.

[Linked Image]

Re: PA Cable Restraint Building - 02/17/24 03:24 PM

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'm thinking a swaged stop on the loop and and a swaged double ferrule on the swivel end. Time to round up some components.
Posted By: JEckman

Re: PA Cable Restraint Building - 02/17/24 07:44 PM

A 600 or 800 lbs barrel swivel. Like fishing swivels.. Put that as close to your loop as you can is a huge help and a must for me..

Re: PA Cable Restraint Building - 02/18/24 11:31 AM

Thanks JEckman. I'm going to add a #6 barrel swivel as you suggested and that will be my stop for maximum loop size.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums