Home

Weasels in Georgia

Posted By: Rick Johnson

Weasels in Georgia - 02/07/24 03:24 AM

Have any of yall trapped weasels in Georgia? Would like to try but I am not sure that any are around here.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Weasels in Georgia - 02/07/24 03:44 AM

If you ever see one write it down, they are that rare.

I've seen one in my lifetime and that was on video of one of my clients in Newnan.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Weasels in Georgia - 02/07/24 12:45 PM

Have caught 2 in my 60 yr life.....in the 1980s.

Both in Berrien County, Ga. One in a dh set on a field edge. One in a coon set in a dry creek bed. Both were long-tailed weasels.

This was b4 I knew anything about pan tension...or it likely would've never happened.

Re: Weasels in Georgia - 02/07/24 05:26 PM

I have never seen one, would like to catch some but don’t want to waste time I could be spending on paying gigs

Re: Weasels in Georgia - 02/07/24 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rick Johnson
I have never seen one, would like to catch some but don’t want to waste time I could be spending on paying gigs

I think you would have a fair chance of catching one using the methods of northern trappers with the boxes on trees, small traps, and the correct baits.
Posted By: BigGaDawg

Re: Weasels in Georgia - 02/07/24 08:14 PM

I never caught one in Georgia but found what I believe to be a weasel skeleton, skull included. Can’t imagine anything else it could have been. This was in Peach County. I also found sign in a small creek bed in Monroe County that was likely a Weasel but could have possibly been a mink. Fifty years trapping, hunting and fishing in Georgia, I never saw one yet.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Weasels in Georgia - 02/07/24 08:46 PM

Saw a recent post on FB of one caught in western NC. Long tail, if I remember correctly. Only ones I ever saw in NC was back in the 50s in our chicken coop.

Re: Weasels in Georgia - 02/08/24 02:14 AM

It will make a nice experiment
Posted By: warrior

Re: Weasels in Georgia - 02/08/24 02:21 AM

Next door in Alabama they are off limits due to the rarity. Same for pocket gophers.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Weasels in Georgia - 02/08/24 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

This was b4 I knew anything about pan tension...or it likely would've never happened.

Haha, back in the day we thought hair triggers on our sets. I’m guessing that’s what you’re referring to?

Re: Weasels in Georgia - 02/08/24 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

Haha, back in the day we thought hair triggers on our sets. I’m guessing that’s what you’re referring to?

One of em was caught in a #2 Victor double longspring with floppy non-adjustable pan. Other was in a Victor 1.5 coilspring with that hair trigger...lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums