?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/09/24 03:48 PM

How do you guys configure 330 triggers?
-Like an upside-down V
- just together as is
-one trigger L shaped
-more rounded ( ) shape
-twisted together to form one wire
-other

Should I use different trigger configurations for different sets, say deep channel vs. castor set?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: ?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/09/24 05:09 PM

Completely submerged I would spread the trigger wires In V with the dog on top. In a castor set with the trap partially submerged I bend the triggers In the shape of a T with dog on the bottom. I don't what those trigger wires In that beavers face.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: ?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/09/24 06:26 PM

[Linked Image]
I'm stuck with these trigger regulations.
The only real downfall is smaller beaver get too far in and get caught too far back
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: ?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/09/24 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Completely submerged I would spread the trigger wires In V with the dog on top. In a castor set with the trap partially submerged I bend the triggers In the shape of a T with dog on the bottom. I don't what those trigger wires In that beavers face.

Holy Crap I'm agreeing with the Beav!!
Posted By: Brooktrout906

Re: ?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/09/24 09:38 PM

I pretty much run mine the same as The Beav suggested. I will move the triggers to the side in a muskrat rich environment. I hate suitcasing smaller beaver, but blowing a good beaver set on a $2 rat trumps that.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: ?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/09/24 10:30 PM

I set mine more like field goal posts mirrowing the jaws of the trap. Trying to keep muskrats from firing them off. Only have a limited amount of time to run beaver lines when I hit them so don't want secondary critters causing issues
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: ?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/10/24 08:11 PM

Hern, here's a different idea. When my trigger wires break I make new ones from a coat hanger. A buddy showed me how he did it and now I do the same thing.

I take a new coat hanger and cut the ''hook'' off so I can straighten the wires to work with it. I make a 5 to 5 1/2'' circle with long legs. I cut the legs to fit into a new trigger with a lock nut on it and I center the circle inside the jaws. I twist the circle one time to give the ''legs'' a longer life. Now I get rats, mink, otters, and beaver. Since I started doing this I catch a lot more beaver right behind the head and they die instantly. Sometimes they never move the trap. It gives otter a good spot to center up on and small beaver don't go to far into it.

[Linked Image]

I also have a lot of drainage ditches here. The beaver don't leave much sign but travel them. Circles have gotten me a lot of ''extra'' fur over the years.
Posted By: Hern

Re: ?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/10/24 08:34 PM

Larry, do you have a picture of coat hanger trigger? Reason I ask, I have a trigger need of replacing.

PS-
in background of your picture... Is that a Grey Squirrel washed up on a limb?
Posted By: DV IN MN

Re: ?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/10/24 08:52 PM

Has anyone tried the weed cloth barrier staples or spikes you can buy at Menards? MIght be a bit short but seem to be strong enough.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: ?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/10/24 09:00 PM

Hern,

I use two trigger configurations for my 330s. The first way is to twist the first 4" of the trigger wires together then bend the tips down to make a T to be set dog down. This gives the trap the appearance of being open, rather than having the opening blocked with trigger wires.

The second way I use is to twist my trigger wires together to form a single post so that I can center or offset the trigger to possibly avoid a few non-targets, and this configuration will withstand just about anything without breaking.

I replace my 330 triggers with 11 gauge tension wire. It's stiff, but it's strong. I cut a piece thats twice the length of a trigger, and then I place the centerpoint over a piece of flat metal about the width of a trigger. I bend the wires at a 90 then hammer the corners, and I get nice, crisp angles that fit and stay neatly in my triggers.
Posted By: Hern

Re: ?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/10/24 09:18 PM

Thanks Jeff and others.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: ?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/10/24 09:21 PM

You fellas that use coat hangers must have better quality hangers that the ones I have. Try to bend one of mine 15 or 20 degrees and they break. I would not waste my time trying to use them for trigger wire.

I replace the factory triggers when they fail with the SS Terminator triggers and forget about them.
Posted By: ack

Re: ?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/16/24 05:24 PM

https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...-wire/1611760/p-1444421524998-c-5776.htm
Posted By: The Beav

Re: ?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/16/24 06:10 PM

Brazing rod works well. It's pliable and will never rust.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: ?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/16/24 10:52 PM

I think Paul sells stainless steel ones. Never break.
Posted By: ChadDaniel

Re: ?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/17/24 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Baer
Hern, here's a different idea. When my trigger wires break I make new ones from a coat hanger. A buddy showed me how he did it and now I do the same thing.

I take a new coat hanger and cut the ''hook'' off so I can straighten the wires to work with it. I make a 5 to 5 1/2'' circle with long legs. I cut the legs to fit into a new trigger with a lock nut on it and I center the circle inside the jaws. I twist the circle one time to give the ''legs'' a longer life. Now I get rats, mink, otters, and beaver. Since I started doing this I catch a lot more beaver right behind the head and they die instantly. Sometimes they never move the trap. It gives otter a good spot to center up on and small beaver don't go to far into it.

[Linked Image]

I also have a lot of drainage ditches here. The beaver don't leave much sign but travel them. Circles have gotten me a lot of ''extra'' fur over the years.

I would like to see a pic of this next time you can please.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: ?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/17/24 04:27 AM

I bought some at a convention, they seem indestructible, but I don't like the attatchment brackets (too much fiddling to get tuned). The wires are top notch though, probably what these other guys are talking about.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: ?? 330 trigger wires ?? - 01/17/24 04:31 AM

The ones that Paul sells are the SS Terminator Triggers.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums