Home

Hind leg catch on cat?

Posted By: BC-Buck

Hind leg catch on cat? - 01/07/24 01:14 PM

Caught cat in coyote set using the 9"x4" spacing dirt hole set. Had 4" log as backer with side brush as guides. Cat came in up wind and hole had been excavated back about 3" before finally stepping on pan. Drilled hole way more horizontal than vertical, so coyote would need to work set. Thinking cat rolled log back under him working set backwards before working the correct way. Had on trail cam but all I could see was eyes at that distance. Question is it common to catch cats on back paw?
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: Hind leg catch on cat? - 01/07/24 01:39 PM

Caught a big Tom this week by the back paw. I seem to catch a few each year by the back paw. Eric [Linked Image]
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Hind leg catch on cat? - 01/07/24 02:45 PM

Bcats work sets from very unusual angles......rarely the same from cat to cat.....hence the need for more blocking.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Hind leg catch on cat? - 01/07/24 02:54 PM

Haha, ole boy was backing up to take a dump.
Most cats on camera approach from the back and step over the hole.
The back leg catches they were going to take a dump or mark the spot.
I prefer a front paw catch just because it’s easier to get the release stick around them. That back foot gives them a lot more reach, lol. I really don’t care which foot it is as long as they’re caught.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Hind leg catch on cat? - 01/07/24 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Bcats work sets from very unusual angles......rarely the same from cat to cat.....hence the need for more blocking.

Coyote set, not a lot of blocking on those.
If I make a dedicated cat set they have only one place to step, blocking is real heavy for cats, but I rarely set for cats, seems I catch enough in coyote sets.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Hind leg catch on cat? - 01/08/24 11:26 AM

I like to see a back foot catch if I have to release it, I find it easier to stay away from most of its weapons when releasing the trap.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums