Home

Pan cover?

Posted By: BC-Buck

Pan cover? - 01/06/24 07:47 PM

Wanted metal screen for pan covers. HD only had in bright silver so bought invisible screen that sounded like good idea. Think was carbon and had a odor hunters soap did not remove. Did not have much spine and was PITA bedding traps. Ended up laying over bedded traps but where also covering jaws. Don't like thought of screen being between trap and coyote paw for holding. Been setting traps using Mark Zagger hammer in bedding with hole under for rain. Afraid animal stepping on jaw might move wax paper giving trap location away. Using leaves and grass to hide trap rather than dirt. Does not look 1/2 as sexy as dirt but what's what being used for now.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Pan cover? - 01/06/24 07:50 PM

Gotta get real metal screen if you are going to go that way. I like to use the blue shop towels for my traps.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Pan cover? - 01/06/24 07:53 PM

Don’t set until you have the proper equipment. No BS used to sell screen. Theirs is the THICK stuff too, works prefect for that application.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Pan cover? - 01/06/24 11:26 PM

We have a huge roll from Craig Ogorman it works well
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Pan cover? - 01/06/24 11:40 PM

I use regular screen and don’t have any problem with it. One edge rests on the front jaw so it doesn’t sag under the pan. So cheap and easy.

Don’t even worry for a second about the animal pulling out with screen between the paw and trap.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Pan cover? - 01/06/24 11:59 PM

Your over thinking things. No such thing as scent free. If dogs (canines) can detect cancer cells in humans, you tell me how I can make my sets scent free. Your best bet is to give them something else to focus on. Set on sign, bed your traps solid and use a good bait/lure. If done right you'll have coyotes waiting for you. Of course you can't catch what isn't there.
Posted By: Coyotero7

Re: Pan cover? - 01/07/24 12:20 AM

I have tried numerous types of pan covers over the years and keep going back to sifted peat moss. I use native dirt to pack outside the jaws and use sifted peat inside the jaws. Once leveled off, sift about 1" of native dirt over the entire set. Problem solved.

As a disclaimer, coon will sometimes pick at your sets because of the grub smell within the peat.
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: Pan cover? - 01/07/24 05:07 AM

I have tried all different types of screen and it doesn't work for me. I spend way too much time fiddling with stiff screen when I could have been off to make another set. It also let's my waxed sand sift through so I use wax paper.
Posted By: Tony1967

Re: Pan cover? - 01/07/24 12:18 PM

I strictly use the stiff screen for grass covering. For bedding in dirt I use poly fill under the pan.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Pan cover? - 01/09/24 02:48 AM

I went to sifted peat under the pan a few years ago and see no reason to go back to pan covers. I sift a 1/4” or so of native dirt or waxed dirt over the peat to make it stay on windy days and forget about it . I caught a coyote Thursday in a trap that had been setting at least a month.

Re: Pan cover? - 01/09/24 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Golf ball
I went to sifted peat under the pan a few years ago and see no reason to go back to pan covers. I sift a 1/4” or so of native dirt or waxed dirt over the peat to make it stay on windy days and forget about it . I caught a coyote Thursday in a trap that had been setting at least a month.

Yep, the only time I would use a pan cover with peat is if you're setting in sandy soil and you're worried about sand washing in under the pan.

Or you're really stingy and trying to reduce how much peat/waxed dirt/sand you use at a set.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Pan cover? - 01/09/24 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB
Or you're really stingy and trying to reduce how much peat/waxed dirt/sand you use at a set.
Me.
cool
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Pan cover? - 01/09/24 04:07 PM

I have never use other than well crumpled wax paper and have not noticed any serious problem with it.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Pan cover? - 01/09/24 11:08 PM

Buck
I went out to Zag's school many years ago along with Tony1967. I mostly use bridger#2 dogless and duke #2 round jaw. When I bed the trap like Marks Pipe Dream with the deep hole underneath I use the black fiberglass window screen sometime its call pet proof window screen. And this is going to sound weird but with my smaller traps I place it under the trap pan. It cut so its just inside the jaws to support the grass that you sprinkle over. The reason I did this was I was having trouble with coon coming up and messing with the screen or flipping the trap. Ever since I did this if they mess with it 9 time out of 10 I'll catch them. Zagger uses Jake traps and has a hard wire rigid mesh that worked excellent for him. For my regular dirthole or flat set I either use 1/2 pipe insulation under the pan or wadded up wax papers. I tried the aluminum window screen and never could get it to lay out like I wanted it to. I can post some picture tomorrow if you want me to.
J

Re: Pan cover? - 01/10/24 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by illinideer
Buck
I went out to Zag's school many years ago along with Tony1967. I mostly use bridger#2 dogless and duke #2 round jaw. When I bed the trap like Marks Pipe Dream with the deep hole underneath I use the black fiberglass window screen sometime its call pet proof window screen. And this is going to sound weird but with my smaller traps I place it under the trap pan. It cut so its just inside the jaws to support the grass that you sprinkle over. The reason I did this was I was having trouble with coon coming up and messing with the screen or flipping the trap. Ever since I did this if they mess with it 9 time out of 10 I'll catch them. Zagger uses Jake traps and has a hard wire rigid mesh that worked excellent for him. For my regular dirthole or flat set I either use 1/2 pipe insulation under the pan or wadded up wax papers. I tried the aluminum window screen and never could get it to lay out like I wanted it to. I can post some picture tomorrow if you want me to.
J

They always say a picture is worth a hundred words. All help is much appreciated.

Re: Pan cover? - 01/10/24 03:34 AM

Here you go I have my screens cut to fit my bridger 2 dogless. When I use my duke 2's I take my scissors and cut the corners off and make a notch to straddle the pan hinge point. I know some people use the ridged screen to also increase the pan target area but with my smaller traps I need them to hit right on the pan if its at all possible
J

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Pan cover? - 01/10/24 09:31 PM

If you have anymore questions let me know

Re: Pan cover? - 01/10/24 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by illinideer
If you have anymore questions let me know

Like, thanks for pics. Will try because bubbled up screen deals me a fit.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Pan cover? - 01/11/24 11:43 AM

Illinideer, I take stiff screen cover one step further by adding a pocket for pan to slide into.
Stiff screen fits just inside jaws.
I use window screen for pocket because it's flexible to slide onto pan.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Pan cover? - 01/11/24 01:11 PM

I just punch the dog the steel screen, no problem
Posted By: LDW

Re: Pan cover? - 01/11/24 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by coyote 1
I have tried all different types of screen and it doesn't work for me. I spend way too much time fiddling with stiff screen when I could have been off to make another set. It also let's my waxed sand sift through so I use wax paper.

I had the same problem. Never could get it to work for me. I used NO BS screen on NO BS traps. Had nearly everyone scratched up by coyotes, not coons. Gave up on it and went back to pipe insulation under the pan. Works so good, don't know why I was trying anything else.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums