Home

Question on fur put up

Posted By: Yes sir

Question on fur put up - 01/04/24 12:33 AM

When I put up a pelt that you leave the feet on I'm assuming you split the front legs down the back and pin them out flat to dry or do leave them cased? This would be on badgers or cats. Thanks
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Question on fur put up - 01/04/24 12:51 AM

I split to the pad, then make a little cardboard form to pin them to.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Question on fur put up - 01/04/24 01:29 AM

I split cats from the pad almost to the elbow. Don't wait too long to turn them or you will have a hard time turning the toes and may have to dampen them a bit to get them turned. I use rolled up newspaper in the leg when they are skin out and when I turn them I put half a plastic clothes hanger down the leg. I picked up some knitting needles at the thrift store, and I put the point of one of them down the leg (towards the body) and slide the head of the needle up into the foot as far as I can to hold the leg and foot out. Also I put borax in the toes when I turn them.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Question on fur put up - 01/04/24 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
I split to the pad, then make a little cardboard form to pin them to.

X2 Stuff borax into the feet. When I turn the fur I remove the forms and leave the feet inside the cased fur.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Question on fur put up - 01/04/24 02:18 PM

What bearcat2 said.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Question on fur put up - 01/04/24 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by bearcat2
I split cats from the pad almost to the elbow. Don't wait too long to turn them or you will have a hard time turning the toes and may have to dampen them a bit to get them turned. I use rolled up newspaper in the leg when they are skin out and when I turn them I put half a plastic clothes hanger down the leg. I picked up some knitting needles at the thrift store, and I put the point of one of them down the leg (towards the body) and slide the head of the needle up into the foot as far as I can to hold the leg and foot out. Also I put borax in the toes when I turn them.

If you're getting them tanned yourself, dont even bother with turning them.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Question on fur put up - 01/04/24 04:00 PM

Thanks guys for ur input. And good point Sniper.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Question on fur put up - 01/05/24 02:26 AM

Yes, if I was having them tanned myself I wouldn't need to turn them, but I do some of my casty bellied cats and small cats with the feet on for the craft market. They go to the auction and the fur buyers bid the same regardless of feet on or off, but the craft buyers often bid more for feet on, off bellied cats than the straight fur guys will pay. If a craft buyer isn't interested, all I'm out is my time, I'm still getting as much as I would have if I just whacked the feet.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums