Home

Blind setting foot holds for mink

Posted By: k snow

Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/08/23 10:28 PM

When blind setting trails beside bridges with foothold for Mink, do you bed the trap? Or just set in on the hard ground? This is in a tall grass area, trying to actually bed it would leave quite a noticeable spot in the trail.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/08/23 11:08 PM

If there is open water set the foothold where the mink enter or leaves the water(trap just under water)
If you set on the dry land crossover trail use a 120.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/08/23 11:34 PM

I use a Duke 1 1/2
Posted By: BRONZEBACK

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/09/23 12:40 AM

I use 150’s or any 1-1/2 with light pan tension
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/09/23 12:44 AM

Do what Boco said.

But if you feel a need to use your footholds in a dry trail through grass make a depression just deep enough to level trap & cover lightly with area grass.
A finger sized stepping stick on one side of trap can be used

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/09/23 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by patrapperbuster
Do what Boco said.

But if you feel a need to use your footholds in a dry trail through grass make a depression just deep enough to level trap & cover lightly with area grass.

Thanks. The water is open right now, but with cooler temps coming, the edges will start freezing up.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/09/23 02:40 AM

I like using #11's in blind or trail sets.

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/09/23 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by CTRAPS
I like using #11's in blind or trail sets.

Thats what I am planning to run. I'll try just getting the trap flush with the trail surface and breaking up the outline a bit.
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/09/23 05:16 AM

Use a mink box with bloody meat in the back of the box.
Posted By: Archeryguy

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/09/23 11:22 AM

Victor #2 with expanded pans for blind sets and pocket sets in the water. It's a mink catching machine.
Posted By: BRONZEBACK

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/09/23 12:03 PM

When I'm minking I walk to a new spot with (5) 150's, (5) KB Stabilizers, and a spool of wire. I set a spot quick and hard (may have all 5 traps within 10' of each other at times) and make them run the gauntlet when they come through. High Bank, Middle Bank (if there is one), Lower Bank and Bottom Edge are always my first thoughts...Then running logs, etc. No Pockets...No bait...No lure...It's humbling at times in the snow when you see that you missed a few still but that'll make you a better trapper.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/09/23 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
I'll try just getting the trap flush with the trail surface and breaking up the outline a bit.

Try using your hammer to pound out bed. No digging. Just pound size/depth you need. Hern style bedding method for land blind sets, just saying...
Posted By: Hern

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/09/23 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by BRONZEBACK
It's humbling at times in the snow when you see that you missed a few still but that'll make you a better trapper.

How 'bout it!
Posted By: Bass1

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/10/23 12:40 AM

Here are some picture of a blind set on the out flow side of a @5' culvert. These are with 1 1/2 Dukes. Killer spot for mink.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/10/23 01:57 PM

Yep. Mink are corner and wall huggers.
And they love to check out any noticeable nooks and crannies. Most trappers overlook these
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/10/23 03:33 PM

http://thebeav.us/Setlocationimages/minksetlocations.html
Posted By: YaYa

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/10/23 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by patrapperbuster
Do what Boco said.

I agree. I have some old victor #2 square jaws for this. I also carry some
pruning shears to trim the grass over the trap.
Posted By: EricS

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/15/23 05:30 AM

Great info Beav, thanks!
Posted By: Spike369

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/15/23 11:33 AM

Probably a stupid question but how do you anchor the trap in the rocks if there aren't any trees big enough to tie off too?
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/15/23 01:04 PM

[Linked Image]
Gerry was checking baits yesterday and this guy didn’t want him around.

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/15/23 02:25 PM

I will use a tie plate or a window weight for an anchor. Just make sure your weight Is heavy enough If you catch a coon.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/20/23 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hern
Originally Posted by k snow
I'll try just getting the trap flush with the trail surface and breaking up the outline a bit.

Try using your hammer to pound out bed. No digging. Just pound size/depth you need. Hern style bedding method for land blind sets, just saying...

Do this.

Mac
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/20/23 10:24 PM

Almost every mink I catch is an incidental while setting for rats. I don't set any bridge or culverts etc. for mink. All of mine are blind set as there is no pocket, hole, bait or lure.
I catch about 1 mink for every 15-25 rats on the streams. Way less on the marshes.
find those shallow shelves under the under cut banks with say 1-2 inches of water flowing over them. They are where I catch most of my mink. Rats build feed beds there too and coons will ruin them if you catch them. I try to protect them with a PVC pipe set with a 1.5 coil on drags but I still get the most off those shelves.

Bryce

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/21/23 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I will use a tie plate or a window weight for an anchor. Just make sure your weight Is heavy enough If you catch a coon.

X2. I have used both also.

But these days when i use a foothold drowning set for mink i rely on sand bags like i do for my beaver trapping.
Bags are easy to carry in & fill with rocks or gravel ON SITE.
I like the 14x26" size in black or green. You can get them from ULINE in bulk

Re: Blind setting foot holds for mink - 12/22/23 04:30 AM

Take your tile spade and dig a vertical slot In the bank just like If you were going to plant a small seedling.
Dig It as close the the waters edge as you can Then drop In a rat carcass and stomp the slot shut. Place a trap at each edge of the slot. It sure beats digging pocket sets. And It catches mink coon and rats.
Might be a little known fact but rat meat makes a very good rat bait.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums