Home

Trying to avoid bobcats

Posted By: Redtail Hawker

Trying to avoid bobcats - 10/25/23 10:42 PM

Hi All,
I haven’t trapped for many years, so please bear with me. For various reasons, I am trying to avoid catching bobcats when setting for coyotes. I’m thinking the best bet for coyotes in my location is probably dirt hole sets, and I am looking for recommendations for a bait or baits that are attractive to coyotes, but not (or at least less so) to bobcats. I am just getting back into trapping, and things have changed a lot in the past 30+ years. There are so many bait choices out there, it’s hard to figure out what might be best in this situation. Any help is appreciated!
Thanks-
Mike
Posted By: kinley31

Re: Trying to avoid bobcats - 10/25/23 10:53 PM

Have you looked at the fur market? You need to figure out how to keep coyotes out of cat sets.
Posted By: Cattrapper77

Re: Trying to avoid bobcats - 10/25/23 10:57 PM

I would never! Lol
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Trying to avoid bobcats - 10/25/23 11:44 PM

You can probably avoid cats a bit with set construction, but I dont think theres much that a cat wont pay attention to.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Trying to avoid bobcats - 10/26/23 12:36 AM

Set a heavy pan 4.5 or even 5 pounds of pan tension. You may have to release the bigger toms , but I would think you should eliminate the rest.
Posted By: Crappiekiller

Re: Trying to avoid bobcats - 10/26/23 12:42 AM

If you catch any ‘Big Tom’ give me a call. I will bring my ‘ catch pole’.
Posted By: curtisd

Re: Trying to avoid bobcats - 10/26/23 12:54 AM

seems like a strange question.................why are you wanting to avoid bobcats..?
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Trying to avoid bobcats - 10/26/23 01:28 AM

I wouldn’t use dirt holes if you’re trying to avoid cats. They seem to check out anything new, especially if there’s a scent of food coming from it.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Trying to avoid bobcats - 10/26/23 01:39 AM

What avoid cats? Maybe they’re not in season. Maybe you don’t have permission to take the cats. Maybe you’re being paid more to get the coyotes. Lots of reasons.

As for avoiding them, avoid the “catty” locations. Cats are dumb and easy to catch if you’re already where they want to be.
Posted By: jtg

Re: Trying to avoid bobcats - 10/26/23 12:29 PM

I don't like catching cats either. I call JC Conner to asked. His wife told me that they try to avoid them too.
Posted By: Redtail Hawker

Re: Trying to avoid bobcats - 10/26/23 10:39 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Sounds like I need to find a different method!
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Trying to avoid bobcats - 10/27/23 01:43 AM

Cats are easy to turn loose but you have to be careful about how you do it.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Trying to avoid bobcats - 10/27/23 04:53 AM

Try pee posts or flat sets with coyote gland lure, and as said avoid the catty locations. I to try to avoid cats, and turn loose those I catch. Because I would rather catch them with my hounds. I don't think you can completely avoid them without seriously impacting your coyote catch, but you can significantly reduce them by avoiding baits and lures that they prefer.
Posted By: trappingwi

Re: Trying to avoid bobcats - 10/29/23 10:25 PM

In WI, all you have to do is have a cat tag in your pocket. That will keep them out of your traps.
Posted By: learch

Re: Trying to avoid bobcats - 10/30/23 05:16 PM

I too try to avoid cats early season and have turned a few loose . A cat caught at the beginning of the season will not be the same cat come February. It will be the difference between night and day. Like what was said above I would definitely avoid anything flashy like a dirt hole. Cats are more about what they can see than what they smell.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums