Home

Lure placement at dirt hole

Posted By: Wildandrooted304

Lure placement at dirt hole - 10/09/23 01:29 AM

At a baited dirt hole set for fox and coyotes do you put the lure down the hole or on the backing?
Does lure placement depend on weather its a food, or gland, or curiosity lure?
How do you do it?
Thanks for any and all advice
Posted By: Bison88

Re: Lure placement at dirt hole - 10/09/23 01:37 AM

Lately, I haven't been using any lure with my dirt holes. Just commercial bait or chunks of muskrat. The muskrat idea came from Robert Waddell. Usually put a flat set nearby. The dirt holes with no lure or urine have performed well.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Lure placement at dirt hole - 10/09/23 02:39 AM

I usually put it on top lip of hole if bait is down hole
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Lure placement at dirt hole - 10/09/23 02:50 AM

IF you feel you must use a dirt hole. Dig it so deep. That the only way a coyote can get the bait is IF another coyote is holding its tail!!!! LoL! Put lure on back lip of hole like Yes Sir said
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Lure placement at dirt hole - 10/09/23 03:50 AM

I place my lure about 2" to the right of my dirt hole. Use a tuft of grass or a small stick.

My call lure Is placed several yards away from the set and place it up high so the wind will catch It and give you more calling power.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Lure placement at dirt hole - 10/09/23 11:06 AM

I use a double dirt hole with two different baits, one in each hole. If I carry any lure these days it is from a different animal than coyote I’m targeting. Something like beaver castor or mink gland lure. It goes right in between both holes, three points of focus for the coyotes nose and some feet shuffling to work all three is done right over the centered trap out front of both holes.
Jim
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Lure placement at dirt hole - 10/09/23 06:21 PM

I put most lures on the top lip of the hole but I have had a few work better down the hole. I like to keep the separate smells.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Lure placement at dirt hole - 10/09/23 07:46 PM

I use popsicle sticks bought in bulk, usually at WalMart or any craft store.

I put a wad of bait down in hole..stick and all.

If I lure the dirthole...a small dab of lure goes in hole too...stick and all.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Lure placement at dirt hole - 10/09/23 09:33 PM

Since my trap Is offset to the right at about 5" to 6" from my post or dirt hole I want my lure placement off to the same side I just think It gets the critter moving It's feet around a bit more.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Lure placement at dirt hole - 10/09/23 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Since my trap Is offset to the right at about 5" to 6" from my post or dirt hole I want my lure placement off to the same side I just think It gets the critter moving It's feet around a bit more.

I don't offset as much as Beav, but I usually put urine or any other lure 1" to the left of the baited dirt hole. Same concept. To get the coyote to step again, to put its nose on the other side.
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Lure placement at dirt hole - 10/10/23 12:14 AM

I guess I'm an oddball, but if I'm using lure at a dirt hole, it goes in the bottom of the hole every time.

And that would be a call lure, curiosity lure, or food lure. I don't use gland lures at dirt holes.
Posted By: Seldom

Re: Lure placement at dirt hole - 10/10/23 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by canebrake
I guess I'm an oddball, but if I'm using lure at a dirt hole, it goes in the bottom of the hole every time.

And that would be a call lure, curiosity lure, or food lure. I don't use gland lures at dirt holes.

If you are, than we both are!
Posted By: LDW

Re: Lure placement at dirt hole - 10/10/23 04:08 PM

I use very little lure, just bait. If your on location, not much else is needed. On the occasions that I do use lure, it goes down the hole.
Posted By: 2cylinder

Re: Lure placement at dirt hole - 10/11/23 11:41 PM

I’ll put it by the rim of the hole or if I’m using a backing stick/log/rock/chunk of grass I put it on the base of that
Posted By: Boy Named Sue

Re: Lure placement at dirt hole - 10/12/23 02:46 AM

Sometimes I put bait in the hole, sometimes I put lure in the hole. I also put a little lure, bait or urine just past the trap rite inside the hole. Often I don’t use a backing or much of one. I think it brings him around to the side of the trap. I also think little or no backing makes them more comfortable working the set.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums