Home

NO-BS K-9 Jrs

Posted By: coalminer7755

NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/01/23 01:00 AM

Has anyone used these extensively? And If so what are your thoughts on 2 coils versus 4 coil? Are the two extra coils needed? Or are they plenty strong with two? Thanks
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/01/23 01:54 AM

I have 2 dz. Wire lever 4 coil NO BS jrs. They are a great trap. IF i lost 184 MJ 600 Sterling and had to start over. I would buy 4 coil Wire Lever NO BS traps. Only 2 traps out there for = Everday. Set for 60 plus days in ground and still catch a coyote. MJ 600s and NO BS traps. I trap 365 a year and everything else is junk in my opinion! LoL!

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/01/23 01:56 AM

Forgot about LPCs. They are good too!!
Posted By: jtg

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/01/23 11:20 AM

I would not leave Jakes out.

Originally Posted by steeltraps
I have 2 dz. Wire lever 4 coil NO BS jrs. They are a great trap. IF i lost 184 MJ 600 Sterling and had to start over. I would buy 4 coil Wire Lever NO BS traps. Only 2 traps out there for = Everday. Set for 60 plus days in ground and still catch a coyote. MJ 600s and NO BS traps. I trap 365 a year and everything else is junk in my opinion! LoL!
Posted By: The hammer

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/01/23 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by steeltraps

This^^^^^^
Posted By: canebrake

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/01/23 12:31 PM

At $38-40 each, do the wire lever Jrs come with the coyote already in it?

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/01/23 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by canebrake
At $38-40 each, do the wire lever Jrs come with the coyote already in it?

Nope. You have to do that yourself!!

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/01/23 05:43 PM

At 370 a dz shipped to my house. K9 Extreme 4 coil inside and outside laminate wire levers comes out to = 30.84 each. So get 10 dz and go to work !!!! LoL!
Posted By: CountryCletus

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/02/23 02:28 AM

I ran a combination of solid lever juniors, solid lever Extremes, Alpha’s, and MB 650’s last year… this year I bought 5 dozen wire levers juniors, two dozen steel lever Extremes and 1 dozen wire lever Extremes. Oh… and two more dozen Alpha’s…. Those No-BS traps are incredible and will be my go to.

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/02/23 02:52 AM

IF you want a trap that will fire no matter what No Bs wire levers are it !! 23 days. 3 rains caught coyote. IF you want to = double up screen wire AND use a underall type thing under pan ? They are unstoppable!!!!
Posted By: sneaky

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/06/23 01:22 PM

Kendall makes a fine trap
Posted By: Arrowhooks

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/13/23 04:39 PM

How do they set with the wire levers. Easy enough to hand set? Or do you need a setter?

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/13/23 04:41 PM

I set them by hand, but they are stout
Posted By: Tom Riley

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/13/23 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Arrowhooks
How do they set with the wire levers. Easy enough to hand set? Or do you need a setter?

Depends on how stout you are.

I have some of the extreme wire lever 4 coils, I can set by hand but prefer to use the setter.

The 2 coil solid levers are a good trap too and a breeze to set by hand.
Posted By: WV222

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/13/23 06:14 PM

Held a 115-125 pound bear in a 2 coil Jr
He wasn’t going nowhere
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/13/23 09:35 PM

Good 2 coil traps are plenty strong for any animal I trap, and I don't need setters or have to struggle to release an animal if necessary.
Posted By: NorthMtntrapper

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/14/23 12:32 PM

How do the jr's do on deer?
I have some mb550s that are great, but these intrigue me as a dogless option.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/14/23 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by NorthMtntrapper

Waiting for someone to answer this…releasing deer isn’t something I really want to experience, lol.

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/14/23 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by NorthMtntrapper

They will hold younger lighter deer with out a problem if they get there hoof below the jaw.

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/14/23 04:30 PM

I caught a 60# yearly last spring, no way it would have gotten out of the trap on it's own.

Scared to death it was going to be difficult to release but it wasn't. Kind of tackled it with a big furniture pad that I had in the truck and it calmed down an just laid there until I released it. A 100# doe or buck may be a bit more difficult.

Have a video on my phone of the release but I'm not sure it can be uploaded here.

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/14/23 04:45 PM

Deleted pic because it may violate the rules. No non target catches.

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/15/23 08:57 AM

I talked to people at Minktoberfest who trap professionally and they don’t use No BS traps on the ranches because they have such good lock-up and holding ability. I think their check laws are different too. I run a daily check so while it’s not ideal to have a deer in my set when I get there, I’d like to think odds are good that I could get it released unharmed- possibly with help.

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/15/23 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by CountryCletus
I talked to people at Minktoberfest who trap professionally and they don’t use No BS traps on the ranches because they have such good lock-up and holding ability. I think their check laws are different too. I run a daily check so while it’s not ideal to have a deer in my set when I get there, I’d like to think odds are good that I could get it released unharmed- possibly with help.

I've heard of the full sized Extremes holding deer but not the Jrs. I'm not sure that they have the jaw spread necessary to hold a hoof.

I've never used either trap though. And I'm not going to use a trap that will hold a deer.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/15/23 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by canebrake
Originally Posted by CountryCletus

I've heard of the full sized Extremes holding deer but not the Jrs. I'm not sure that they have the jaw spread necessary to hold a hoof.

I've never used either trap though. And I'm not going to use a trap that will hold a deer.

Looks like I’ll be sticking with the MB550’s, lol. Just don’t want to deal with the “possibility” of catching one. I know they can get out of a 550.

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/15/23 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be

Looks like I’ll be sticking with the MB550’s, lol. Just don’t want to deal with the “possibility” of catching one. I know they can get out of a 550.

Me neither. Deer can be a real problem where I trap, especially if urine is used. I use some inside laminated 650s but they won't hold deer either. I don't need a trap any bigger than that to catch a coyote. The extra large traps have their own share of problems.
Posted By: Jess Matthews

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/15/23 08:25 PM

I have 4 dozen no bs k9 jrs and I’m having a heck of a time with pan tension on them( trying for 3-4 lbs). I played with a dozen of them and ended up buffing off the powder coating where the pan engages and that helps some but there are some no matter how loose I have the pan or have the pan adjusted down can I get it to adjust. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. Thanks
Posted By: jtg

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/15/23 08:32 PM

I have never caught a deer in a trap, but release many from fences and raise a bunch of them. The best that I have found is to cover their head with a dark blanket. It calms them right away.

Originally Posted by Tom Riley
I caught a 60# yearly last spring, no way it would have gotten out of the trap on it's own.

Scared to death it was going to be difficult to release but it wasn't. Kind of tackled it with a big furniture pad that I had in the truck and it calmed down an just laid there until I released it. A 100# doe or buck may be a bit more difficult.

Have a video on my phone of the release but I'm not sure it can be uploaded here.

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/15/23 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by jtg
I have never caught a deer in a trap, but release many from fences and raise a bunch of them. The best that I have found is to cover their head with a dark blanket. It calms them right away.

jtg that's exactly how this deer acted, once it's head was covered it did not struggle at all.

Originally Posted by Tom Riley

Posted By: NorthMtntrapper

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/16/23 02:06 AM

I looked into it and was told even k9 Jr would regularly hold deer.
Alpha 2 seem to be the best dogless option.

What do you mean about how we should antifreeze?
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/16/23 02:23 AM

I've never used the NoBs juniors, but I've only ever held one deer in my life, and it was in a big, modified wolf trap. Every other deer I've ever had step in a trap, wolf, big coyote, or small coyote, coilspring or longspring, pulled out easily without even leaving a catch circle. Unless the jawspread is big enough to grab them above the dewclaws I think it would be a real rarity to hold a deer.
Posted By: Seldom

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/16/23 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by bearcat2
I've never used the NoBs juniors, but I've only ever held one deer in my life, and it was in a big, modified wolf trap. Every other deer I've ever had step in a trap, wolf, big coyote, or small coyote, coilspring or longspring, pulled out easily without even leaving a catch circle. Unless the jawspread is big enough to grab them above the dewclaws I think it would be a real rarity to hold a deer.

This!

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/16/23 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jess Matthews
I have 4 dozen no bs k9 jrs and I’m having a heck of a time with pan tension on them( trying for 3-4 lbs). I played with a dozen of them and ended up buffing off the powder coating where the pan engages and that helps some but there are some no matter how loose I have the pan or have the pan adjusted down can I get it to adjust. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. Thanks

File the lug welded to the jaw at a slight angle sometimes there welded at a angle.
Posted By: PARich

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/16/23 10:10 PM

Kendal told me at a convention to use bow sting wax on the lug. just scrap it on the bottom of the lug. Leaving a little residue. this will bring the tension down. I carry the wax in my shirt pocket. I have not seen any refusals or dug traps. Works for me.
Posted By: Carolina Foxer

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/17/23 12:11 AM

I de-bur evwey pan/dog engagement regardless if the style ir maker just as a precaution. 5 light swipes with a file on all contact surfaces just in case. Then waxed. With a floppy pan and waxed traps, i never run over 3 lbs on any of my traps. Im picking up a big pile of no bs jrs at our convention in 2 weeks and will set them all with confidence. I think sometimes 4 coiling can be more problematic than helpful depending on the traps style design and lock up.
Posted By: Short Grass

Re: NO-BS K-9 Jrs - 09/17/23 02:46 AM

I’ve had several deer in K9 extremes, 2 left a slight circle before they pulled out, the rest hit the end of the chain and were gone, I’m not worried about it but do avoid trail sets where there’s lots of deer still. Antelope worry me more but have yet to catch one of them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums