Home

White primer dip, wax?

Posted By: Average Joe

White primer dip, wax? - 08/13/23 02:44 PM

I’m thinking about dipping a couple new traps with drags in white metal primer and then waxing them to be used for exposed bobcat sets when there’s snow on the ground. The goals being that the white will provide some camouflage and reduce absorption of heat from the sun, and the wax will prevent freezing up.
Does anyone do this?
Anything that makes this a bad idea?
Other suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/13/23 03:11 PM

I run white painted traps in the snow, I've used Rustoleum cut with acetone as is often recommended on here, but last year I'm not sure what was wrong with the paint I bought, maybe it had been frozen, but it came out all rough like spackle. So this year I am using a latex paint/primer in one. Cut it with water and dipped the traps in it, came out looking nice, we'll see how it holds up over the winter.

I've thought about waxing over the paint but haven't done it. I would like to but don't know if it would leave the traps as white, and it would be a pain to remove the wax completely in order to repaint when they need touched up. I wanted to get a powder coating gun and try that this year, but never got set up in time, so did the paint again.

You'll be amazed at how much less heat white traps absorb and how much less they melt out.

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/13/23 03:19 PM

Thanks bearcat!
If I end up trying the wax I’ll report back on the outcome.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/13/23 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by bearcat2
I run white painted traps in the snow,

You'll be amazed at how much less heat white traps absorb and how much less they melt out.

I've often wondered about that,I've seen where other guys do that in deep snow country but I've never met anybody or talked to anybody that's done it.

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/14/23 02:59 AM

My black traps, even under two or three inches of fresh snow would absorb heat and melt out if the sun shone, even at quite a bit below freezing. Once I started painting them white however they will stay covered and even if a corner gets exposed it won't absorb heat and melt the rest of the trap out.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/14/23 04:02 AM

I have several traps that are painted and then waxed. Although they are painted dark green, I have never had any problem with the paint or wax flaking off. I might have to do a few in white now.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/14/23 07:04 AM

If you HOT wax over paint I'm thinking you are going burn that paint and end up with mess.
I don't see any reason to wax over the paint. It's a lot easier to re do your paint job if you don't have to first remove the wax.

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/14/23 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
If you HOT wax over paint I'm thinking you are going burn that paint and end up with mess.
I don't see any reason to wax over the paint. It's a lot easier to re do your paint job if you don't have to first remove the wax.

Mine have been hot waxed and as stated, no problems.

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/14/23 02:01 PM

Are you melting your wax on top of water or immersing your painted traps In pure heated wax?
If It works for you great but I would have thought that 200 degree wax would have had some effect on the paint.

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/14/23 07:21 PM

Are you melting your wax on top of water or immersing your painted traps In pure heated wax?
If It works for you great but I would have thought that 200 degree wax would have had some effect on the paint.

Pure wax. Just make sure the paint is fully cured first or I can see problems like your talking about.

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/15/23 01:24 AM

Shifting topics slightly.

Bearcat (or anyone) - Everyone talks about solid trap bedding, no wobble, how can you do that in snow on frozen ground? Seems like packing snow around would just lead to a frozen down trap. Or do you just hope they step in the right spot the first time?

Thanks again!

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/15/23 02:29 AM

I put wax paper under the trap, then press the trap down into the snow, wiggling it a little as I press it down. Similar to bedding in sand. Depending on snow conditions you might have to either add snow under the trap and pack it before bedding (light fluffy snow) or actually fluff the snow some so the trap will press down in it (frozen nasty snow, or very wet snow). You have to adjust to the exact conditions, but generally I find bedding traps in snow faster and easier than bedding them in anything but pure sand. Unfortunately around here you get lots of practice at it, because it either dumps snow over your sets or rains in the snow and melts it off regularly, so you are constantly remaking snow sets.

To an extent you hope they step in the right place the first time, because even if it is bedded solid so it doesn't rock, you can't pack snow over the trap or it will freeze into a block, so if they step on the jaws or lever it is going to feel different than the surrounding snow. Honestly haven't had much issues with that however.

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/15/23 02:37 AM

Thanks bearcat, much appreciated
Posted By: Bob

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/15/23 02:50 AM

I would NOT paint drags white and then use them in snow lol. A lot of the trappers in this country who use drags paint them fluorescent pink or orange to help locate an animal. Bobcats are not bothered by it, not even a little.
Posted By: Bob

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/15/23 02:52 AM

And for the bedding, in an exposed set, just use pencil size sticks under your levers. Holds it up off the ground and helps keep it from freezing, and it sets on there pretty solid. Solid enough anyways, you’ll be guiding so heavily that stepping on the jaws or levers isn’t really a concern.

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/15/23 02:55 AM

Good point Bob.
Maybe I’ll dip the trap and a few feet of chain white, leave the rest au-naturale.

And thanks for the bedding advice.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/20/23 11:04 AM

I thought about wax temperature the other day 'cause I'll be waxing this week.

Here's what I Googled.
Paraffin wax is solid at room temperature and melts between 120°F and 150℉. This wax type is colorless and appears slightly translucent or white in its solid state.

If you get wax too hot it will smell burnt.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/20/23 11:06 AM

Don't ask me what the mumbo-jumbo behind the 150 is. I simply changed font color using the toolbar.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 08/20/23 12:40 PM

A bit different....I used Andy Stoe's White Speed Dip for a few years and didn't have any issues. The dip was cut like I usually cut my petroleum based dips...6 to 1 and worked fine. It was thin but it blended the traps well.
As as far as bedding, I used a heavy hammer and pounded out trap bed and then placed plastic down in the trap bed wriggled the trap down solid, plastic covering over pan then brushed snow to cover. Slick.

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 10/04/23 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Average Joe
Thanks bearcat!
If I end up trying the wax I’ll report back on the outcome.

Update.
Waxed these painted traps today and they turned out pretty good.
I was surprised and disappointed though that after a month I could still smell paint. Not sure if I did something wrong? Will be used for bobcat so shouldn’t be a big deal, but to would like to learn.

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 10/04/23 03:58 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 10/04/23 05:10 PM

I think what happened Is you cooked the paint and the odor was absorbed by the wax. I really see no reason to wax over paint.

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 10/05/23 02:46 AM

The paint smell was before waxing. After waxing it was gone, I suppose the wax sealed it up?
I decided to wax to help prevent freezing up.

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 10/05/23 04:29 AM

I don't think waxing your traps will prevent freezing. It's how you bed and cover your trap that prevents freezing.
Posted By: Seldom

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 10/05/23 11:30 AM

I don't think waxing your traps will prevent freezing. It's how you bed and cover your trap that prevents freezing.

This ^^^^^

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 10/05/23 12:11 PM

Very true, but it will help with the trap freezing to stuff, or the moving parts freezing together; to a limited extent. It will make the traps smoother and faster, however.

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 10/05/23 01:31 PM

All those things may be trure but Is the extra effort In waxing over paint worth the time? Since the wax Is basically removed after the first catch.

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 10/06/23 12:59 AM

Beav, with all due respect, you have 5 anti-wax posts on this thread.
The extra effort was a few minutes since I was waxing some land traps anyways, and I did these 2 traps last.
There’s no doubt that waxed traps are less likely to stick to snow, ice, frozen ground. Wax is hydrophobic (water hating, repels water)
I only have one cat tag, so one catch and done is fine with me.
It is just an experiment.

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 10/06/23 01:43 PM

Good luck.

Tie some type of flagging to your drag It will show up a lot better In snowy or none snowy conditions.

I would have just waxed my traps LOL

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 10/07/23 12:42 AM

Thanks Beav, I appreciate you.
Next time I’m going to wax, then paint, lol.

Was it you that I remember had powder coated some traps? I’m thinking about trying that too.

Good luck out there, this weather change sure has me pumped for the season.

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 10/07/23 04:08 AM

I have powder coated lots of traps. I started out doing all my 160s. I made the mistake of leaving them In the set with safeties on. I lost a bit of power but It wasn't enough to make much of a difference.
Then I did most of my canine traps. In my opinion it's the ultimate coating. But It's a bit expensive. But Like most of my trapping gear I know some one that makes It for me pretty much free of charge.
Give It a try you will like It. And you won't have to paint or wax over It. LOL
Posted By: Teacher

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 10/10/23 08:42 AM

I use Full Metal Jacket over all my painted foot traps.

To get the traps cleaned of paint and FMJ, I tumble them with 1/2 inch gravel in a cement mixer for 5-10 minutes. Then I repaint and FMJ again. I do this ‘deep cleaning’ about every 2-3 years.

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 10/10/23 02:33 PM

I guess I don't get why that some use the 2 coat system Are we trying to protect the trap or protect the first coating.
When I waxed traps I just waxed them. And when I went to painting traps I just painted them.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: White primer dip, wax? - 10/10/23 08:52 PM

Tradition, I guess, Beav. If I missed a spot while spray painting and my basement gets damp before season, they may rust. If I painted and then dipped in FMJ, they won’t rust while in storage.

After a coon catch, the FMJ, paint and every is polished off and it’s time to replace the trap. But I’ve caught several coyotes in the same trap. Any scratches or a little rust didn't seem to bother them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums