Home

Beaver ticks?

Posted By: Harvester

Beaver ticks? - 04/01/23 04:11 PM

Been trapping a while and don’t remember seeing this before it looks like a bunch of ticks around the mouth area on a few beaver caught this year. Anyone ever see or know what it is? [Linked Image]
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/01/23 04:59 PM

It sure looks like ticks, but I'm surprised to see such a large number in one small area. Did you look closely to see if they were actual ticks or jut some kind of wart like growth?

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/01/23 05:19 PM

[Linked Image]
They look like ticks to me but I don’t remember ever seeing this before
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/01/23 05:45 PM

Is the above pic from a beaver?

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/01/23 05:59 PM

Yes sir went down and looked when you asked
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/01/23 06:08 PM

Didn’t think they’d like beaver with all the water time. Just the mouth? Are those different types of tick?

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/01/23 07:55 PM

That’s why I’m asking, never saw this before, yes for the most part just around the mouth area.
Posted By: Trappeur Gunny

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/01/23 11:39 PM

I pulled out some of my notes I took on beavers in a class and found that beavers can be infected with the bacterial disease tularemia, which is transmitted by ticks and biting flies as well as contaminated water. According to my notes, its not uncommon for a beaver to be infested with ticks or fleas to the point of making the pelt worthless.
Posted By: Richyb

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/02/23 02:57 AM

I have been starting to find quite a few ticks on beaver here in ontario. Most of the ones I see are in the ears.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/02/23 06:57 AM

Beaver do travel and can pick up ticks any time the weather is warm and they are out of the water , in the spring I get them full of fleas sometimes.
Posted By: Keystonekiller

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/03/23 08:43 PM

I've never caught a beaver that didn't have fleas ...now ticks havnt seen much of that
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/03/23 08:58 PM

I've caught 1000s of beaver and never seen a tick on any of them. Fleas yes but ticks no.
Posted By: Muskratwalt

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/04/23 12:33 AM

I posted last year about a beaver I caught in Chippewa County in April that was crawling with deer ticks on the back and neck most were embedded I couldn't even hardly get a comb through the fur. It seems like almost all Beaver have the small fleas and other assorted bugs on them at times. I caught my first beaver in 1967 and my last one was last week with many in between. The one I caught in Chippewa County is the only one I've ever seen with ticks on it. This was several years ago with a real mild spring in Wisconsin. When I got to the truck at that particular spot with the beaver I too was crawling with deer ticks just from walking 50 yards through the brush to my truck
Posted By: Archeryguy

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/15/23 11:18 PM

Maybe this?? Our beaver are crawling with them

https://bugguide.net/node/view/1468396
Posted By: Seek

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/17/23 01:01 AM

Don’t tell Pfizer or Moderna…
Posted By: Furfool12

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/17/23 01:25 AM

I had a beav with a tick in its ear this year. I also ended up with one on myself after a night of skinning
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/17/23 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Harvester
[Linked Image]
They look like ticks to me but I don’t remember ever seeing this before

one of the common ticks found on beaver is in the Genus[b] Ixodes banksi[/b][/i]

a couple of years ago Boco got one beaver with some and sent it through to the Canadian Tick experts and they confirmed it.

Being in the Genus[i] Ixodes
one should always be careful about some of the diseases they carry

Originally Posted by The Beav
I've caught 1000s of beaver and never seen a tick on any of them. Fleas yes but ticks no.

Beetles yes it should be
https://bugguide.net/node/view/1468396
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/17/23 01:36 AM

Ixodes have a different front mouth piece that extends forward but is usually broken off because of the way they "glue" then attached
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/17/23 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Harvester
Been trapping a while and don’t remember seeing this before it looks like a bunch of ticks around the mouth area on a few beaver caught this year. Anyone ever see or know what it is? [Linked Image]

Just caught a beaver doing ADC work that had two spots on its back with the same tick's. Both spots had a circle of ticks about an inch in diameter maybe 20-30 ticks in each spot. They where full and white like that. Caught a second one from the same stream with no ticks and was shocked figured it would be covered since they where a mating pair from last year. Certainly looked like pale beaver ticks when I searched it up on the internet.
Posted By: Muskratwalt

Re: Beaver ticks? - 04/30/23 04:09 PM

I have caught my second beaver in a lifetime of beaver trapping that was infested with Beaver ticks just like the one shown in the pictures on this thread. This beaver was also caught in Chippewa County Wisconsin in an area I normally do not trap but was doing damage control trapping. The beaver was around 35 lb and should have weighed considerably more but was very sickly looking and I did not skin it. I think it was a loan Traveler and have not caught any more at this site.

Re: Beaver ticks? - 05/17/23 12:04 PM

Caught another one in a nuisance job. Small spring fed pond, the male was covered in them and the female did not have any on her. I would have expected both to be covered in ticks, small pond and one small lodge.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: Beaver ticks? - 05/17/23 07:06 PM

The beaver I caught with ticks a couple years ago was the only beaver I had ever caught in near 50 years of trapping that had ticks.
In the same year another trapper who has trapped as long as me and taken likely as many beaver,also caught his first and only tick infested beaver the same year.
What is interesting is the tick beaver I caught came from a different watershed than the one He caught.

It is a result of global warming,no doubt with new species of parasites moving north with the milder,shorter winters now.Limes (Tick bourne disease) has been moving north last few years also,itis now in Sudbury,a couple hundred miles south of here.
Posted By: spinner

Re: Beaver ticks? - 05/17/23 09:12 PM

Catching more and more beavers with ticks lately. A couple years ago our local health unit wanted me to send off 3 live ticks in various stages of engorgement to our National Micro-biology lab in Winnipeg MB. for Lyme testing...results came back negative for Lyme disease. They are very hardy. Caught an Otter this spring that had a tick on it, from the same pond I also caught beavers with ticks. The world is changing!
Posted By: Spike369

Re: Beaver ticks? - 05/17/23 11:57 PM

Is the fur still good?

Re: Beaver ticks? - 05/18/23 12:14 PM

This one did not make the trip home. The couple I skinned in the winter where damaged, red/black marks on the leather and noticeable on the fur side. Plus they are a pain to deal with.

They are getting more reports of it in Southern Ontario according to the MNR, Climate change and a bad year was the words in the email.

All three this year where from different watersheds, spread out over at least 100KM.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Beaver ticks? - 05/18/23 12:37 PM

Sask those ticky beaver should probably be burned.
Posted By: d2009

Re: Beaver ticks? - 05/21/23 06:32 PM

Several of the beaver i trapped this Spring had ticks, never seen it before. Seems to be more and more of them everywhere tho.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums