Home

Weasel trapping entry hole questions

Posted By: JimBurns

Weasel trapping entry hole questions - 12/26/22 01:45 PM

Just bought some of those green/plastic ammo boxes from Walmart. A Victor rat trap featuring the big yellow pro pan nicely fits inside each one. Plan on using them for weasel trapping. Question: Should I drill the 2" diameter entry hole just above the inner box trap pan height or should I drill the hole higher up which would force the weasel to hop up and down into the box in order to enter?
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Weasel trapping entry hole questions - 12/26/22 01:51 PM

I drill mine up a few inches not to make it hopd down but to keep the opening ubive the snow as the season progresses. Many times I find the weasel has jumped over the trap and I've caught it on it's way out. An entry closer to ground level might eliminate that. For now I add a handful of grass in the box and make it work the bait a bit more. I would think there are better/cheaper boxes to use than the plastic ammo boxes.
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: Weasel trapping entry hole questions - 12/26/22 03:41 PM

Check your mailbox.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Weasel trapping entry hole questions - 12/26/22 03:57 PM

Set your trap, with a large pan trigger, right at the hole so the weasel must step on it when entering. Never a miss. [Linked Image]
Posted By: JimBurns

Re: Weasel trapping entry hole questions - 12/26/22 05:02 PM

There may be cheaper boxes but not boxes that would hold up as well. The ammo box I bought was only $5.00. Making a box out of a cedar plank would be more expensive as not only the wood is higher priced but all the time/labor and fasteners to put it together would add to the cost. Plus I like plastic containers that can be regularly disinfected/cleaned out.
Posted By: victor#0

Re: Weasel trapping entry hole questions - 12/26/22 07:52 PM

I put the hole about 3/4 up the front of the box and put the trap pan right in front of the hole. I also drill small holes on the sides and back of the box to help the bait/ lure smell out.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums