Home

bobcat help needed.

Posted By: curtisd

bobcat help needed. - 11/27/22 10:26 PM

i found a deer carcass yesterday. could tell something was feeding on it. set 4 snares around in places that looked like something was coming in.
i put a camera on it. this morning all snares just like i left them. checked camera and had 5 videos where a bobcat visited it last night 4 times. maybe more than one cat.

have never put out blind footholds sets before.
was wondering what best way to set this. thinking of putting about 3 in the ground next to carcass on the side he coming in ????.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: bobcat help needed. - 11/27/22 10:44 PM

Don’t think I’d set right next to a carcass. Don’t know about up there but down here you’d have a buzzard in every one of them.

Re: bobcat help needed. - 11/27/22 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Don’t think I’d set right next to a carcass. Don’t know about up there but down here you’d have a buzzard in every one of them.

this in the woods. its really thick with a lot of small trees and bushes. not over 2 or 3 days old. didnt notice any smell and these bushes would make it hard to see from the air. you have to walk bent over just to get through it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: bobcat help needed. - 11/27/22 11:47 PM

Cover it and guide heavily.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: bobcat help needed. - 11/27/22 11:53 PM

If it's as thick as you indicate snares should work well' Just set where it is walking as indicated by your pictures.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: bobcat help needed. - 11/28/22 12:03 AM

If their are leaves around I`m serprised the bobcat doesn`t have it covered up already.You can block down all around the deer with brush or briers or whatever and only leave a couple little trails into it and set traps or hang snares on the trails.Change doesn`t bother a cat.

Re: bobcat help needed. - 11/28/22 12:44 AM

ill give that a try. this place is loaded with cats. i have no problem catching coyotes, but have never set a trap specifically for cats. i catch 4 or 5 cats every year here in coyote sets.

thanks.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: bobcat help needed. - 11/28/22 02:34 AM

Coyote snares are generally to large for bobcats. They will jump thru the snares. Use a 6.5 -7 inch loop set 10 inches off the ground for bobcat. Cats can be crowded with no problem.
Posted By: AJE

Re: bobcat help needed. - 12/16/22 02:59 AM

Good thread. I plan to try this with a beaver, but I suppose I should wire the beaver down after chopping into it a little. If I have a cable avoidance issue like this OP, I may stick a couple blind footholds in the trail (of course in Wi we have a setback rule for exposed bait).
© 2024 Trapperman Forums