Home

Cage trapping

Posted By: Wanna Be

Cage trapping - 11/26/22 09:29 PM

So my son has been running some cage traps and DP’s at the plantation for coons/possums/armadillos. This morning he FaceTimed me with a first for him or me…a bobcat in a cage. Five minutes later he FaceTimed with a grey in a cage, lol. He catches grey's on almost a regular basis, but the bobcat was completely new.

I asked what kind of cages they used and he said they had bought a bunch of Pied Pipers. I looked them up and they’re a little too rich for me. Anyone heard of them or use them?
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Cage trapping - 11/26/22 09:47 PM

Pied Piper traps are made in Texas. Probably over 1700 miles from where you are. It’s probably the shipping that cost so much. They’re sold in all the farm stores and like that where I live. Probably the reason you’re not catching bobcats in the traps is they’re not tall enough. The taller traps are more expensive. They need to be at least 15 1/2 to 16 inches tall to be the most productive for bobcats. The trap that is tall enough isone of the most expensive traps and would be very expensive to ship.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Cage trapping - 11/26/22 09:56 PM

They buy in bulk and money is no object to them, lol. I don’t use cage traps, but if I did I’d buy whatever our local TS or AG store had in stock.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Cage trapping - 11/26/22 11:16 PM

Is Norm Blackwell still selling his bobcat cage? They were nice cages and weren't bad priced... Though thats been 6-7 years ago and metal prices have skyrocketed since
Posted By: bgfur3065

Re: Cage trapping - 11/29/22 05:09 AM

I pick up a few here and there at flea market and yard sales if the price is right. Mostly Coon sized.. they are a nice cage trap for the money.
Posted By: Short Track

Re: Cage trapping - 11/29/22 01:31 PM

I had this guy build a guillotine door on my wrecked havaheart cage trap. Tugnet or something was his name. He welded on sliders and a door rod. I fine tuned it, and I have been catching everything in there. Even a Squirrel.

It's more challenging to cage a raccoon than 160 a coon.
Posted By: JBR

Re: Cage trapping - 11/29/22 06:56 PM

Comstock custom cage traps have been excellent for me for armadillos. Built like a tank. Price is more than double what you buy at a farm store but they’re much more durable. Shipping is what kills you buying them though
Posted By: Jakeland

Re: Cage trapping - 11/30/22 04:07 AM

In Washington cages are our only legal way and yes bobcats are the easiest to catch in cages my cages are 10”W by 18”T by 40” L with a conibear trigger and spring loaded doors as I trap in the snow and it keeps civets from triggering the door
Posted By: Dragger

Re: Cage trapping - 12/03/22 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by JBR
Comstock custom cage traps have been excellent for me for armadillos. Built like a tank. Price is more than double what you buy at a farm store but they’re much more durable. Shipping is what kills you buying them though

Best trap I've ever used. (Comstock Bobcat Double Doors) However, if I have to walk very far I prefer Lawning's bobcat traps.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Cage trapping - 12/05/22 02:12 AM

Look up Ztraps. They have bobcat cages and they’re not overly expensive
Posted By: AJE

Re: Cage trapping - 12/16/22 03:07 AM

Little Wolf Trapping Supply sells a lot of bobcat cages in Wi. I have a couple & plan to use them for my season starting 12/26. Should I hang beaver in the back of the cage or set it on the bottom?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums