Home

Best Commercial DP Bait?

Posted By: ZAC

Best Commercial DP Bait? - 09/21/21 09:49 PM

Just wondering what the best DP bait is I can buy. Not homemade catfood/corn/fish food mixes but something commercially available and something that actually tastes appealing to coons.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 09/21/21 11:49 PM

Marshmellows
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 09/21/21 11:53 PM

For me it's Hal's Sugar Berries. Had good luck with the NoBS glow in the dark bait too.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 09/22/21 12:36 AM

These 2 are excellent.

https://www.molnaroutdoor.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=SFRbait

https://www.northerntrapping.com/cg...l13&title=-Jameson-Fireball-ADC-Bait
Posted By: Raizmup

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 09/22/21 12:44 AM

Dunlap lures DP Bait. Smoked fish
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 09/22/21 01:03 AM

Grape Jelly, and I bought a large jar of Mint Jelly that works great as a change up.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 09/22/21 01:42 AM

Zac, don't discount cheaper alternatives. Yes lots of awesome commercial DP baits put there.

At $10 a pint plus shipping unless you buy it off of shelf, or, you can spend about $5 bucks for a cheap bag of cat food PLUS 2 or 3 other ingredients from local dollar general and have a whole gallon of bait. Will take more coon with more bait on more traps and locations. Guaranteed.

Even just plain old simple whole kernel corn works just fine too. Even dog food...all of those edible to coon. Box of fruit loops will fill a lot of DPs too.

Lots of us on here use other options in DPs than commercially available baits. Set on location. Take pickups loads of coon too.

Only commercial made stuff I ever used besides cat food for base wasn't even coon bait...it was on old baggie of little dog treats in salmon flavor and those worked great too.

If you do want commercial baits, lots of good supporters and vendors on here. Many already mentioned in the responses. Good luck and hope you find something you like.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 09/22/21 02:21 AM

Plain fish-based cat food. It was no record but I racked 700 something coons on it one season. Location is still super important.
Posted By: wrh1971

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 09/22/21 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by USMC47 🦫
Plain fish-based cat food. It was no record but I racked 700 something coons on it one season. Location is still super important.

Yep. why buy coon bait if you are on location? they eat anything. I use shelled corn and fill just above the DP trigger. doesn't stink or attract ants or get sticky.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 09/22/21 05:48 AM

Since you asked, I'm a little biased toward these... http://iowatrapperstalk.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/112441/ADC's_2021_-_Baits_&_Lures#Post112441
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 09/22/21 07:13 AM

Iowa has coons? Lol.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 09/22/21 09:50 AM

I’m with a lot of the previous guys. Unless you’re selling DP bait it’s hard to beat cheap cat food. If you have a factory in your area ask to shovel up some left over “fine” or food that can’t be processed into pellets to sell. It’ll be the cheapest raccoon bait you could find. The last time I bought it around 2014 or so it was $0.10 yes 10 cents a pound I believe. I bought about 1800 lbs of it that year and fed more coons in feeders then I care to remember. They dig it.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 09/22/21 10:33 AM

This is a trail cam pic of spot in my own backyard from earlier this year. Plain shelled corn. Thats it, and look how they work it. I bought a 50 pound bag for $10 from local tractor supply store to feed a few deer so I could watch them out my back window. I get a few deer, but man do coon love corn and corn at $10 for 50 pounds....its a lot of DP fillers!!

There are 10 coon in this picture. Guess I will be trapping coon in my property this winter and will only be using corn at my traps, LOL.
[Linked Image]

If you look in archives Wade has a super cool thread on bucket feeder coons and then cleaned them up when season rolled around. grin
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 09/22/21 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by WadeRyan
I’m with a lot of the previous guys. Unless you’re selling DP bait it’s hard to beat cheap cat food. If you have a factory in your area ask to shovel up some left over “fine” or food that can’t be processed into pellets to sell. It’ll be the cheapest raccoon bait you could find. The last time I bought it around 2014 or so it was $0.10 yes 10 cents a pound I believe. I bought about 1800 lbs of it that year and fed more coons in feeders then I care to remember. They dig it.

Until you're in areas with cats, cat food isnt a good idea. Especially areas where people like the cats
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 09/22/21 01:28 PM

cheap cat food with bacon grease melted and poured over it has worked better for me than any commercial dp bait but like the marine said location is still key.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 09/22/21 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by USMC47 🦫
Iowa has coons? Lol.

Well, they don't have near as many since I started using ADC's baits!!!
grin
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 09/22/21 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Originally Posted by WadeRyan

Until you're in areas with cats, cat food isnt a good idea. Especially areas where people like the cats

X2 Start catching the farmers best mousers or the kids favorite and goodbye trapping permission.
Posted By: JAK1970

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 10/05/21 03:37 AM

I agree shelled corn. If I get ambitious I’ll put 3 or 4 drops of anise in 2 or 3 gallons.
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 10/05/21 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Marshmellows

This along with Caven's Moonshine if there are domestic cats around, if not, I use the cheapest seafood flavored cat food with the Moonshine.

I've seen trail cam pics from different cameras just like jabNE posted. I've got to get some corn...

I have a jug of Bridger berry nuggets but haven't tried them yet.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 10/06/21 01:09 AM

https://fb.watch/8sHW0ihcq1/
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 10/10/21 02:05 PM

A lot of DP coons have came home with me, just using dry cat food coated with molasse's
Posted By: LDW

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 10/11/21 01:36 AM

Keg Creek makes a real good dp bait if you want to go that route. Floating fish food with strawberry jello dumped in works great for me. Sweet bait just about eliminated grinners and skunks.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 10/11/21 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mousey Trapper
A lot of DP coons have came home with me, just using dry cat food coated with molasse's

Yep, and if ya want big coon add some red fox urine.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 10/11/21 06:51 PM

The cat food and fish food are a concern around cats but mix in an ounce of anise oil to a gallon of either and the cats won’t bother it , but the coon will be even more attracted !
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 10/12/21 05:06 PM

thanks for that golf ball im gonna try a batch that way this year
Posted By: Cameron Kelsey

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 10/13/21 12:50 PM

Some years back I used some bait made by Keg Creek called Coon Crunch. Worked real well and had a strong cherry smell to it.

Ron Jones (Jonesie) makes some real good coon baits. They are paste baits designed to be edible by coon. A little smear on a marshmallow, or a small dollop mixed in with cat food gives off a nice odor and works well.
Posted By: sconsintrapper

Re: Best Commercial DP Bait? - 10/13/21 03:16 PM

I have had great luck with Mark Junes Coon Chum.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums