Home

Making a 660 bodygrip?

Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Making a 660 bodygrip? - 02/16/21 05:59 AM

What size and grade rod would be best to expand a Belisle 330 into a 660? I can drill out the ends myself and weld, but want to make sure I use a quality rod that doesn't flex or bend easily.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 02/16/21 03:37 PM

You can use the same size high carbon rod (7/16"?) and braze short sections of 3/8" brake lines to splice them together. Using the same size allows you the convenience of not having to modify the triggers much. I use heavy wire from electric fence for replacing the triggers but wire from yard sings works too. Done this with a few of my 330 Belisles and have had very good luck with it.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 02/16/21 05:14 PM

Or just lay your spreader rod next to the original jaws and tac In place.
Posted By: glf

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 02/17/21 12:45 PM

I have used the brake line method with wire weld. I do like Beav's idea

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 02/17/21 04:11 PM

I did that with a Duke and liked how it closed up the jaws like that on a Belisles but prefer to splice them on my Belisles. I find it easier to splice them as its less of a hassle in lining things up properly before welding things together.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 02/19/21 06:51 PM

I'm no help, I bought mine ready to go.
I figured it up and it only costed 8.00 per trap. More
Than I could of made them, so that was fine by me.
You will like got ten of them and use on every job.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/02/23 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
You can use the same size high carbon rod (7/16"?) and braze short sections of 3/8" brake lines to splice them together. Using the same size allows you the convenience of not having to modify the triggers much. I use heavy wire from electric fence for replacing the triggers but wire from yard sings works too. Done this with a few of my 330 Belisles and have had very good luck with it.

I think scout must have meant putting 5/16”rod into 3/8” brake line.So I’m going to modify a couple this summer any more advice?What exactly is high carbon rod?Thanks in advance guys or gals.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/02/23 01:18 PM

Metal isn't my strong suit but my understanding is that cold rolled is tougher that hot rolled.
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/02/23 05:55 PM

High carbon steel will respond to a normal heat treatment to harden and strengthen. Hot rolled and cold rolled metals most commonly come in very low carbon when heat treated it will only be case harden. The low carbon steel has to go through a much different heat treatment process to introduce more carbon during the heat treatment and is how most tool steels are made.
Cold rolled steel is a little stronger the hot rolled but really only it’s outer case is for it’s formed cold and the material is left under stress. But once you cut, grind, weld, or heat cold rolled you relieve the stress it’s under and is no stronger then hot rolled at that point.

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/02/23 07:20 PM

Mad Scientist is right, it's 5/16" round stock but you want to use high carbon steel or it will be soft and bend possibly preventing a clean catch. Rebar is high carbon but not ideal for this application due to the exterior surface being textured and not smooth like regular round stock.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/02/23 08:37 PM

Just watch what rebar you get most rebar is made of a lot of recycled metal and junk and doesn’t contain proper amounts of carbon to be harden. Rebar is not hard steel just stock you can bend it easier than 1018 round stock. Metal behind high carbon doesn’t mean much unless it’s been through it’s proper heat cycle first 1070 or 1080 steel rods bend very easy but after proper heat treat good luck bending it.

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/02/23 09:38 PM

So I asked the guy at fab shop if they had high carbon 5/16 rod and I got that are you from a different planet look and he said they have cold rolled and hot rolled.So can I heat treat myself and what would I buy to start with.I see a 1018 and 4041 steel rod online and the 4041 seems to be a very hard steel.Anyone know about the the steel numbering system and which one would work for these traps.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/03/23 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Metal isn't my strong suit but my understanding is that cold rolled is tougher that hot rolled.

Nope, you got it backwards!

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/03/23 05:37 PM

If I were placing BGs In wide channels I would just use 2 330s and just stagger them a bit so they weren't right next too each other.
Seems like a better option then re building some 330s into 660s
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/06/23 04:36 AM

1035 - 1045 ... First two numbers are the alloy class, the last two numbers are the percent of carbon.
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/06/23 12:56 PM

Benefits of Cold Rolled Steel

Compared to hot rolled steel, cold rolled steel offers a variety of advantages, such as:

Greater strength: Cold rolled steel can exhibit strength up to 20% greater than that of hot rolled steel, which makes it more suitable for use in high-stress applications.
Better surface finishes: Parts and products made from cold rolled steel generally have a smooth and shiny surface that is free of rust and scale.
Higher precision: Unlike hot rolled steel, cold rolled steel does not shrink after the forming process. This quality allows for the creation of highly precise components that require little to no secondary processing.
Applications of Cold Rolled Steel

Cold rolled steel is often used for applications that require tighter tolerances and better surface finishes. Typical parts and products include:

Aerospace structures
Home appliances
Metal furniture
Strips, rods, bars, and sheets
Mechanical Components
Key Differences Between

https://www.grobinc.com/blog/hot-rolled-steel-vs-cold-rolled-steel/
Posted By: loosanarrow

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/06/23 01:15 PM

Maybe we should define “tough”. When you start bending/pressing steel, cold finish will crack and break long before hot rolled, so in that sense hot roll is “tougher”. Cold finish is more resistant to bending, so if we are talking stiffness and keeping shape without bending under stress, cold finish is “tougher”.

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/06/23 02:23 PM

I’m seeing the harder rod priced at $5-10 a foot so I’ll try the cold rolled and see what happens.

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/07/23 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
I’m seeing the harder rod priced at $5-10 a foot so I’ll try the cold rolled and see what happens.

The softer rod will bend and sometimes will not give you a clean kill. Nothing worse than a very upset XXL otter in your BG! Sometimes you can salvage some harder materials off of old farm equipment, much cheaper.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/07/23 06:16 PM

I agree with the beav.Why limit yourself to one catch at a location when you can make two or more catches on one check.

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/07/23 07:09 PM

I really don't even see the need for a BG the size of a 660. If you can't find natural pinch points It's pretty easy to create your own where needed In those wider channels.

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/07/23 07:40 PM

I sure do like the 2 1022s I have-makes the days more interesting.
Posted By: Muskratwalt

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/08/23 02:03 AM

I really like using the Bridger 1216 size body grips on my Caster Mound sets. With the taller and wider jaw spread you don't have to crowd the beaver As much.

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/08/23 04:38 AM

As long as you keep the trigger wires out of their face It's not a big deal. A beavers head Is about the size of a soft ball.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Making a 660 bodygrip? - 06/14/23 08:54 PM

The best one's I've seen (and used) were made by Scott Balts of Pine City , Minnesota.

* On Trapperman, I believe he goes by : 330 Trapper
© 2024 Trapperman Forums