Home

Beaver Casters

Posted By: chicken

Beaver Casters - 02/14/21 07:13 PM

I use mostly my own lure that I make. Ground up casters and some other secret items.
My question is - I leave my casters soaking in Vodka for about 5 -10byears
Date em and they are sealed up. When I open a year and get ready to use what I need- my casters have a sweetest smell and seem to be a different change from a fresh set.

Do casters age and if so how long is too long or how much time should you let em set ..

Both coyotes and beaver love my lure !!!
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/14/21 08:34 PM

How does the Vodka taste?
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/14/21 09:56 PM

Yes, castor does change with age. I like to age my ground castors for at least 6 months. They just get sweeter and sweeter smelling as time goes by. They don't have that kind of acrid side smell to them after some time. I reckon it's like wine as far as aging goes. But I don't drink castors - lol.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/15/21 02:34 AM

Caster is like sour cream. It can't seem go any badder.
I have a 30 year jar of it. Well, some of it is 30 years old. When it starts getting low, I make some more and add to the jar. I don't add anything but glyserin to it. I don't want to risk any long term taint. If I need a change up. I have sack oil in a separate jar. Now that does get loud over time.

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/15/21 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
How does the Vodka taste?

Never!!!!!

I will let you try it!!
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/15/21 03:54 AM

Caster is approved by the FDA as an additive for quite a few food products. And I know folks who brew their on beer and put a touch of caster in that too.
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/15/21 11:38 AM

It’s good in vanilla ice cream I here. HAHA.
Posted By: nate

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/20/21 02:41 PM

So if I save my castor for lure, how do I age it, do I grind it? Then add what to it? Then would it be ready to use for lure?
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/20/21 08:50 PM

Clean all the red meat and fat off the castors. You can cut em up or leave whole. Cover them in a glass jar with glycerin. I have some that are 10 years plus old. Been catching beavers on it for years. I just pour off the gylcerin as I need it and use that as the lure.

I have a gallon glass jar of oil sacs done same way....10 plus years aged. Use the glycerin as the lure.

Im about to add more glycerin. Im sure it'll last the rest of my life...makin beaver lure...

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/20/21 08:56 PM

The oil sacs lure do you use it on castor mounds? Do they both work for canine? And lastly can propylene glycol be used in place of glycerine?
Posted By: Koss2005

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/20/21 09:22 PM

Chicken why is the rest of your magic potion a secret? Are you going to start selling it?

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/20/21 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Koss2005
Chicken why is the rest of your magic potion a secret? Are you going to start selling it?

Nothing special.. I just use vodka as a tincture.

Nothing more then what everyone else uses!!
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/21/21 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by chicken
Originally Posted by Koss2005

Nothing special.. I just use vodka as a tincture.

Nothing more then what everyone else uses!!

Still very cryptic lol
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/21/21 02:00 AM

Here’s a good one.... 1 cup ground beaver castor, 1/4 cup glycerin, 1 heaping table spoon of cinnamon or allspice mix thoroughly. Another alternative is to mix in a tablespoon of sac oil

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/21/21 03:02 AM

Mchewk
How is that for canine?
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/21/21 05:09 AM

Castor...Castor....Castor....Castor...Castor....Castor...Castor...Castor,,,,Castor ..Castor....Castor...Castor...love me some Castor
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/21/21 09:27 AM

Nate it is just average on canines....here coyotes. But if you are in gray fox country it is a good one.
Like Paul mentioned the mixture just improves as it ages. I like to experiment and try to come up with a new concoction yearly attempting to keep the beaver off guard.
Instead of cinnamon or allspice an old time recipe I have used called for a spice called mace. But like Nessy “mentioned” it is usually the castor that gets the job done.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/22/21 03:51 PM

I mixed last years castor with some nut meg and glycerin, now it is covered in vodka. I won’t try it until next fall , I’m guessing it won’t out perform Back breaker .
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Beaver Casters - 02/23/21 04:09 AM

Tonquin musk, bergamot, asafetida and valerian are a few additions for beaver lure if you want to play around.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums