Home

Fox vs coyote densities

Posted By: Wanna Be

Fox vs coyote densities - 02/02/21 09:44 PM

I have no direct knowledge except what I’m seeing and read on here, but I have a question.
Is it “true” that a higher fox population would mean a lesser coyote population? Or a higher fox catch vs coyote catch would mean the same thing? Do fox roam like coyotes or is their home range much smaller.
Referring to Greys and coyotes.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Fox vs coyote densities - 02/03/21 12:54 AM

I think most of the observations about Coyotes reducing fox density are referring to red fox.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Fox vs coyote densities - 02/03/21 02:22 AM

These are all fox tracks and we have a healthy coyote population in the same area. They seem to cohabitate just fine around here. [Linked Image]
Posted By: MNEric

Re: Fox vs coyote densities - 02/03/21 02:29 AM

I have been told if u have a lot of red fox there is not coyote around and vice versa. I was told gray fox and coyote coexist together and red fox and timber wolves so. On one property I had three sets within 30 yards of each other I caught 6 red fox and 4 coyote. My experience is that it depends on the surrounding habitat.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Fox vs coyote densities - 02/03/21 05:51 AM

Grey fox will co-exist with coyotes. Ive seen high grey fox numbers and good coyote population in same areas many times over the years. Greys can climb a tree like a cat...to escape the chase.

Grey fox home range is smaller...a few hundred acres. Reds cover much larger areas...similar to coyotes...thousands of acres.
Posted By: loosanarrow

Re: Fox vs coyote densities - 02/03/21 08:45 AM

Around here it’s clear - as coyotes increased through the late 1980’s and 1990’s the red fox numbers dropped sharply. Then about 6-8 years ago the coyote numbers went down for whatever reason. Last year the local buyer had a shop full of reds hanging and very few coyotes. This year that buyer is out of business.
The past year or so we have been seeing and hearing more coyotes again, so it remains to be seen if the fox numbers are plummeting again. I did not trap either this year.
The drop in coyote population does seem to have coincided with the boom in coyote pelt value.
Posted By: TJK68

Re: Fox vs coyote densities - 02/03/21 04:15 PM

I have a small trapline on my farm here in Southern WV. I have about 30 foot holds set, which is all I have time to check before work every morning. I have caught 6 Reds, 5 Yotes (along with other critters), but not one Gray all year. Go figure....
Posted By: 3fox

Re: Fox vs coyote densities - 02/03/21 09:38 PM

Coyotes will kill every fox they can catch. as mentioned above grays can climb to elude them. Any red caught in the wide open is history. any red in a trap that a yote comes across they will kill. you will only have a mangled ball of red fur in your trap. Red fox definitely have a smaller home range than Coyotes.
Posted By: MNEric

Re: Fox vs coyote densities - 02/03/21 10:03 PM

Sometimes they don’t get to the red fox [Linked Image]
Posted By: possumcatcher

Re: Fox vs coyote densities - 02/03/21 10:09 PM

Where I am in nebraska, we have lots of coyotes and few foxes. The foxes are plentiful in towns, but once you get outside town, there are no fox. Every once in a while there will be some foxes around an old abandoned house, but majority of the time never see or catch a fox outside of town. In my trappin career, ive only ever got one that wasnt right outside of city limits. I believe it is due to the coyotes, and I would also say habitat loss contributes as well. Most of our hedge rows are gone, and the timbers are cut way back, and waterways are being phased out due to tiling.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Fox vs coyote densities - 02/03/21 10:42 PM

Fox just keep moving closer to houses and people to get away from coyote where I live.
Posted By: 3fox

Re: Fox vs coyote densities - 02/04/21 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by MNEric
Sometimes they don’t get to the red fox [Linked Image]

Awesome picture. good job MNEric.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Fox vs coyote densities - 02/04/21 01:01 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how fast fox find, and re-populate areas the coyotes have been knocked down in.

You can go from no fox anywhere to pockets of fox here and there seemingly overnight.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums