Home

Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link

Posted By: shortliner16

Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/26/21 03:31 PM

So, ive been tinkering and thinking. I have always used J hooks crimped closed at the set location so not welded, on my disposable 1/8" cable. Im debating going to quick links but wondering which you think would fail first. Im talking a coyote spinning enough to someone open a quick link or a wolf or big coyote opening up a heavy duty J hook.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/26/21 05:11 PM

Put the quick link on the j-hook and weld the j-hook shut.
And a 3/16" quick link tightened will not come loose
[Linked Image]
Like the end of this chain.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/26/21 05:12 PM

If you use 3/16" links and properly tighten them with a wrench then you shouldn't have any issues. Your other option would be to weld your J-hooks and carry a cable cutters if you can't pull up your ground anchors. Your chain is only as good as it's weakest link or in this case your J-hooks. The only time I have ever had any open up on me was using a puller in frozen ground so no weld all of mine shut. Also have been seeing more wolf sign and don't need to be losing any traps to them guys. My set up is just like Wetdog's.

Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/26/21 05:37 PM

I have NEVER had a 3/16” quick link open. My traps are like the above except my quick link attaches to the swivel.
Posted By: Arrow B

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/26/21 06:26 PM

Planning to weld all the jhooks on my coyote traps this spring. Was thinking of setting them up like this. What's everyone think good or bad. [Linked Image]
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/26/21 06:28 PM

What do the welded washers do?
Posted By: Arrow B

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/26/21 06:59 PM

3/16 quick links don't fit chained super stacks and easy hook up in the cold. If I use that set up plan to build a pull to hook to the 5/8 welded lock washer
Posted By: trapperdan93

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/26/21 07:05 PM

I'm moving from quick links to J hooks. I've used quick links for a long time, but they end up rusting shut, which is aggravating.
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/26/21 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by shortliner16
So, ive been tinkering and thinking. I have always used J hooks crimped closed at the set location so not welded, on my disposable 1/8" cable. Im debating going to quick links but wondering which you think would fail first. Im talking a coyote spinning enough to someone open a quick link or a wolf or big coyote opening up a heavy duty J hook.

For wolves definitely weld the J-Hooks shut. They can open those which I've seen on shock springs I've added to the chain in a loop and not welded shut. I've used 3/16 quick links for years and never had one fail. Went to 2 links on the terminal connection after having one stretched and come close to failing. It was on the end of 10 feet of chain connected to a 1/8" cable extension around a tree.

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/26/21 07:57 PM

I squash my chain links open enough to slip in a 3/16" quick link. Doesn't take much to do. Put them in a vice or heat them up a bit and use a channel locks. I'm sure the lock washers work fine but just seems like a lot more work to accomplish the same thing.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/27/21 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
I squash my chain links open enough to slip in a 3/16" quick link. Doesn't take much to do. Put them in a vice or heat them up a bit and use a channel locks. I'm sure the lock washers work fine but just seems like a lot more work to accomplish the same thing.

X2
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/27/21 02:33 AM

Was once told by someone with way more knowledge than myself that a vice is a trappers best friend.
Posted By: Flint Lock

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/27/21 03:31 AM

I can't speak to the J-hooks, but even the 1/8" quick links have a safe working load rating of 200 lbs. That's with safety factor, so the actual tensile strength is likely much higher. I'd like to see a 40 or 50 lb coyote be able to exert several hundred pounds of force enough to fail a quick link that is properly secured. Maybe I'm wrong and someone out there has seen it, but any failures I would guess are more than likely the result of not being fully threaded or tightened.

To answer the original question, I would expect an unwelded J-hook to straightened out long before a properly secured quick link would fail. If the J-hook is welded, then it depends on the size of the J-hook compared to the size of the quick link. But in that case I would trust either one. Your earth anchor would probably pull out long before either of those would fail.
Posted By: Rhino1

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/27/21 06:20 AM

The only decent benefit in using quick links is if your regularly swapping chains or you don't weld, you can't beat welded J hooks for performance.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/27/21 04:03 PM

Quick links are one of my favorites in my trapping hardware department. They have many uses. I use different methods of anchoring depending on conditions. Quick links make changing very easy.
The last link on my traps is a quick link.
Remember to tighten them with a wrench and they will not open.
No finger tight laziness!

Make sure to use the heavier J hooks. They are are great in their purpose.
Do not reuse them! One closure - when opened throw away. the steel is weakened.
I do not weld J hooks because my welding skills are not good enough. I would make a mess or burn thru.
I would really like to improve my welding skills.

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/27/21 04:37 PM

I should clarify my concern with the quick links. Im not worried about stripping, more worried about a coyote burning circles could loosen it up.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/27/21 04:47 PM

I lost 1 due to quick link not being tight about 3 years ago. BUT I catch 300 plus coyotes a year And over 400 coyotes This year. So 1 in 1000 chance IF you forget to get it tight enough OR it loosens up with a coyote on it. I use 1/4 and 5/16 th quick lengths for about 25 years now
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/27/21 08:11 PM

100% quick links here. Easy to change out traps if needed and If you can't pull the stakes or cables It's easy to remove that trap.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/28/21 02:15 PM

I use both but slowly going to all J hooks easier for me to change out traps especially when it stupid cold .
J
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/28/21 03:36 PM

It's easier to remove a J hook and then replace It with a new J hook then using a quick link?

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/28/21 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
It's easier to remove a J hook and then replace It with a new J hook then using a quick link?

With the right J hook tool it is quicker and easier i have found..
Posted By: TNcat

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/28/21 04:49 PM

I would never open a j hook then reuse .

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/28/21 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by shortliner16
Originally Posted by The Beav

With the right J hook tool it is quicker and easier i have found..

Not if it's welded but otherwise about the same. Both require a tool of some sort to change out.

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 01/28/21 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by TNcat
I would never open a j hook then reuse .

Nope, once used at the location and opened to remove it is tossed in the garbage.
Posted By: bigfoottrapper

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 02/03/21 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I have NEVER had a 3/16” quick link open. My traps are like the above except my quick link attaches to the swivel.

so there is no j-hook between swivel and quick link?
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 02/03/21 01:01 PM

I’ve used quick links for years. Many many coyotes, bobcats, and more than a few lions. I hook my big puller on rigs and (attempt to) yank on stuff. I break a lot of cable stakes, fold wolf fangs in half, shear out attachment points on anchors, and have even broke chain. Never had a fully closed quick link fail.

I’ve always used the ones sold by the snare shop. Up until this year when they were sold out for a spell, so I bought a bag from FNT.

The quick links from FNT are clearly from a different manufacturer. The nut is longer, the opening is a tad bigger, and there’s less threads.

These have consistently not been surviving my puller.

So just a heads up.

Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 02/03/21 02:02 PM

I've used quick link from FnT for several years. I've pulled Wolf Fangs from frozen ground using the tractor and have never had one fail as long as have the threads engaged well. Not saying there aren't better ones out there, but these ones have never been an issue.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Which will fail quicker, j hook or quick link - 02/03/21 05:57 PM

I’ve ran 1/4” quick links for years from the snare shop. They fit in the body of a crunch proof swivel perfect. Never had a failure. Also easier to used with cold gloved hands. Buy by the 100 and they are pretty cheap.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums