Home

Beaver Colony ?

Posted By: greggsinthehouse

Beaver Colony ? - 01/04/21 03:02 PM

I have a pond with a crossover into flooded timber where the beavers are cutting down willows and cottonwoods. The pond has a lodge.

Set yesterday, I caught one young beaver in the pond crossover and had a tripped trap in a dam crossover in the flooded timber.

How many are in a colony typically and how many more should I plan on catching before pulling?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Beaver Colony ? - 01/04/21 03:12 PM

Really depends on how long they've been there. Usually three age classes beaver at most with some exceptions. The breeding pair, last year's kits and this year's. 1-3 beaver is what I'm happy with if I'm not doing nuisance work. Prices being what they are., 2-3 trap checks is all I want to do
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Beaver Colony ? - 01/04/21 11:29 PM

Trap them all. It sounds like you have good beaver habitat and if you trap them out more will move In.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Beaver Colony ? - 01/04/21 11:43 PM

Two adults.4 to 6 little ones and maybe a couple 2 year olds depending on age of the beaver house.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Beaver Colony ? - 01/05/21 05:58 AM

On avg,new colony a pair of beaver.
Year two-6 beaver
Year three-10 beaver.Could be as few as 8 or as many as a dozen depending on feed, and predators/trapping.
Most beaver I ever took from 1 colony with two houses was 21 beaver.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Beaver Colony ? - 01/05/21 01:01 PM

probably several more

was the tripped trap a foothold or 330?

If a foothold, make sure to use breasting sticks on the deep water side, this also works at dam break sets.
Posted By: greggsinthehouse

Re: Beaver Colony ? - 01/05/21 09:08 PM

It was a 330 John.

Reset at night and saw another one swimming in the pond with my flashlight.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Beaver Colony ? - 01/06/21 03:21 AM

Down here its usually 6 to 8 per colony. But as stated above there are several variables: time since occupied; any killed; size of wetland/pond/swamp; unknown/unseen lodges or dens.....
© 2024 Trapperman Forums