Home

Mink Lure

Posted By: rick54

Mink Lure - 12/23/20 11:27 PM

Is a mink an animal that can generally be influenced by lure? I don't see many folks who use mink lure in conjunction with bait (muskrat or fish of sorts) to help pull the animal into the set.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Mink Lure - 12/23/20 11:40 PM

Weasel musk, mink hate weasels.
Posted By: Gray Breard

Re: Mink Lure - 12/23/20 11:56 PM

O'Gormans have good pure gland lures without the "extras". I like the fox and Yote glands. Pure mink or weasel gland should do it.
P.S. Don't forget the Sardines!
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 12:14 AM

I would not make a mink set without good Mink Lure
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 12:36 AM

I have used it at my coyote set too.
Posted By: Kmax8

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 01:48 AM

We use piece's of rabbit nailed to tree at the water line.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by John-Chagnon
I would not make a mink set without good Mink Lure

Good mink lure will catch you more mink. You can catch them without it but it's not about how many you catch as its about how many you didn't catch.

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 02:19 AM

Well put ADC - too many times I hear guys brag on how effective their blind sets for mink and muskrat are. Its easy with a little experience to know were to put blind sets in and throwing some pocket sets or dirt holes with good mink lure will make them work the blind set even more plus the extras that will be caught at the pockets.
Posted By: K9man

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 02:40 AM

ADC what’s a good mink lure?
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by K9man
ADC what’s a good mink lure?

I like ones loaded with glands, rats and mink specifically.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by bctomcat
Weasel musk, mink hate weasels.

Lenons weasel lure. Good for otter and coyotes also
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 06:06 AM

Yes. Weasel gland is better than mink gland in my opinion
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 06:31 AM

When I trapped mink in the UP of MI, I used smelt and muskrat carcasses for bait. I never saw evidence in the snow where mink passed up these baits. I don't know if I may have missed some evidence, such as a fresh snow to cover tracks. However, I've not seen it. Mink seem to always be hungry and ready to close in on "Fresh" bait.
There are probably more qualified folks who trap a lot of mink out there. I'm just giving my observations.
Posted By: fossil2

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 06:45 AM

i agree with mr dobbins here. the hardest running longest driving minkers from minnesota never used lure, just fresh bait with a loud odor. pick a good blind set spot, and dig a pocket there instead of setting it blind. a blind set holds no attraction to a mink. the pocket adds sight attraction, and scent attraction through the fresh earth digging and scent of the bait used. a well constructed pocket will pull a mink across a small sized ditch or creek, but a blind set wont. that being said, id squeeze the glands on every mink i caught, and applied that fresh musk to the bank above the set. its another attraction added to the set to draw the mink there, along with the other attractions involved with a pocket set. im referring to the minkers that consistently took 300-500 mink in a few weeks time. they knew their business, and knew how to make it happen against fierce competition and deteriorating weather conditions.

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 11:11 AM

The UP Reminds me when we had lots of smelt when teamed up with a good lure worked well.
Posted By: Minklongliner

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by fossil2
i agree with mr dobbins here. the hardest running longest driving minkers from minnesota never used lure, just fresh bait with a loud odor. pick a good blind set spot, and dig a pocket there instead of setting it blind. a blind set holds no attraction to a mink. the pocket adds sight attraction, and scent attraction through the fresh earth digging and scent of the bait used. a well constructed pocket will pull a mink across a small sized ditch or creek, but a blind set wont. that being said, id squeeze the glands on every mink i caught, and applied that fresh musk to the bank above the set. its another attraction added to the set to draw the mink there, along with the other attractions involved with a pocket set. im referring to the minkers that consistently took 300-500 mink in a few weeks time. they knew their business, and knew how to make it happen against fierce competition and deteriorating weather conditions.
x2 i never use lure just fresh fish Carp and pockets over and over again catch a few hundred in a few weeks here in iowa
Posted By: Cameron Kelsey

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 02:07 PM

When this guy talks mink trapping, or any trapping for that matter, I listen! Minnesota is blessed with many great mink trappers, and this guy is right there are at the top. He isn't one to boast or brag, and I have never seen him post pictures, but his catches would blow most people's minds.
Posted By: Gray Breard

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 02:30 PM

In the mid to late 70's before I joined the Navy, my cousin and I slautered mink and coon with gland and sardines. The sardines were cheap bait for a couple of high-school kids.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 02:47 PM

I take it you have not watched Charles Dobbins Stream Trapping DVD? That would make a great Christmas present to you from a loved one.

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 07:40 PM

In regards to a mink gland lure, is this generally a lure loaded with ranch raised mink glands? Does anyone make a mink gland lure that incorporates glands from wild mink? Source?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 08:48 PM

No real difference in the musk odor, basic difference is there is much more fat surrounding ranch mink glands.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Mink Lure - 12/24/20 09:50 PM

I will place my money on this mans advice.

Mac
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Mink Lure - 12/25/20 02:28 AM

Fossil gave the best advice. A mink gland lure may help a bit when they are looking for love in February but at any other time it is unnecessary if you are using a good bait.

Re: Mink Lure - 12/25/20 12:06 PM

Well it seems the jury is still out on the value of lure at a set. So considering based on current fur prices, it’d take about 4 mink pelts to purchase 4 ounces. Lol For now I’ll try the canned salmon, smelt and sardines seeing that it’s cheaper and commands more reliability than a bottle of lure!
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Mink Lure - 12/25/20 02:05 PM

You might try fake frogs or crawdads attached to the pan
© 2024 Trapperman Forums