Home

Wolf Trappers (Pics Added)

Posted By: Dylan Phelps124

Wolf Trappers (Pics Added) - 11/10/20 08:29 PM

Looking for any and all wolf trapping tips. I am in southeast Alaska. I have trapped coyotes for many years down in the lower 48 but trapping wolves is new to me. I normally only trap marten and otter up here but there is too many wolves to ignore them another season. Couple of questions I have are:

I have MB750's and 650's, will the 650's hold a wolf or should I just stick with the 750's?

How does trap placement differ from coyotes and wolves? Just further back?

Types of sets most popular? Trapping mainly coastal shore lines.

Lures?

Also any tips on snaring would also be appreciated.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Wolf Trappers - 11/10/20 09:26 PM

If you check out

Bedding a wolf trap for weather
by Jumperzee

that is just below your post, you will find some excellent tips on Wolf trapping.

Mac

Re: Wolf Trappers - 11/10/20 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mac
If you check out

Bedding a wolf trap for weather
by Jumperzee

that is just below your post, you will find some excellent tips on Wolf trapping.

Mac

I did check that one out and it was super helpful but I definitely have lots of questions still.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Wolf Trappers - 11/11/20 01:30 AM

I'd get a hold of the Alaska Trappers Association wolf manual and the DVD I know they have wolf trapper Ed classes from time to time I'd get a hold of either Pete in Fairbanks or AKHowler JR owns the Alaska #9 trap company .

With that said I'd suggest reading AKHowler's post from beginning to end it's got some great information in those pages.

Jumperzee's post is also very informative as well . I'd also suggest going through the archives of the wilderness trapping and living forum for some great idea's .

I'd also suggest joining the ATA there a good bunch with a wealth of knowledge .
Allan
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: Wolf Trappers - 11/11/20 02:17 AM

Dylan, definitely check out the Wilderness threads or post your questions up over there. I remember reading some really interesting stuff from a couple salty SEAK wolf trappers. Seems that those guys had some pretty specialized methods for that coastal country and shorelines.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Wolf Trappers - 11/11/20 04:51 PM

Dylan,I am sure that a wolf or two have been held in 650's but I wouldn't chance it.If your 750's are the Wolf version,I would use them but if not,I would get new traps.I can't emphasize enough,getting the AK Wolf Trapping Manual that Allan mentioned.It is the best written and illustrated trapping book that I have ever owned.We can't snare wolves here so I am no help there.Good luck.

MB750 and adult male

[Linked Image]

Re: Wolf Trappers - 11/11/20 05:46 PM

Thank you guys. I'll find one of those manuals for sure. I have a dozen of the 750 wolf version. I'll just stick to those. Thanks for the pic Taximan! Hopefully I can have a few pictures like that this year. I've always left the wolves alone but during deer hunting this year, I ran into more fresh wolf kills than I did live deer.
Posted By: rosscoak

Re: Wolf Trappers - 11/15/20 02:45 AM

I sent you a pm Dylan.I'm in Juneau

Re: Wolf Trappers - 12/28/20 01:22 PM

Well I connected on some wolves this weekend! These were at one locations all with snares. Thanks so much for all the help!

Attached picture IMG_6622.jpg
Attached picture IMG_6624.jpg
Attached picture IMG_6625.jpg
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Wolf Trappers - 12/28/20 02:41 PM

Sweet! There ya go!
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: Wolf Trappers - 12/28/20 03:24 PM

that's just flipping awesome sir congrats it would be great to walk up on them!!!
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Wolf Trappers - 12/28/20 05:58 PM

What snare setup are you using? I only ask because of the first pic that one is still looking at you lol.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Wolf Trappers - 12/28/20 06:46 PM

Dylan congratulations on catching those wolves I to seem to do better when I use snares along with foothold traps both are vital tools keep up the good work !
Allan
Posted By: Boco

Re: Wolf Trappers - 12/28/20 07:06 PM

Good job.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Wolf Trappers - 12/28/20 07:26 PM

Fantastic love the pics.

Re: Wolf Trappers - 12/28/20 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by sneaky
What snare setup are you using? I only ask because of the first pic that one is still looking at you lol.

Haha yeah he was very much still alive. I am using 96" of 1/8" cable with just a toothed cam lock. Nothing fancy.
Posted By: kestump

Re: Wolf Trappers - 12/28/20 10:14 PM

Nice!
Posted By: Has-Been

Re: Wolf Trappers - 12/28/20 11:08 PM

Congrats Dylan. A day to remember for sure.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Wolf Trappers - 12/28/20 11:14 PM

Good deal.Does just the top one have mange or the top 2?

Re: Wolf Trappers - 01/01/21 09:14 PM

No mange. One of them had a little snare damage though
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: Wolf Trappers - 01/02/21 12:29 AM

I’d send a pm to Gulo who teaches wolf trapping classes out west
He’s probably forgotten more about them than most could ever remember.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums