Home

Lure holders

Posted By: Kentuckyguy

Lure holders - 10/23/20 01:08 AM

I’ve done some searching on here and haven’t found anything to work in my situation.
I have found myself using a lot of compass sets especially near a catch circle. I have caught more coyotes in that set than any other by a pretty large margin.
The biggest problem with it is the holes get full of water and wash the lure away so easily.
Anybody have an idea for a lure holder that won’t be effected as badly by rain but can still be almost completely out of sight?

The only thing I have came up with so far is to stick sheep’s wool in the hole and place leaves turned over directly above the holes. This works ok for light drizzles but very much rain and you are out of business.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Lure holders - 10/23/20 02:13 AM

Mini Tampax's.
Posted By: gdccowboy

Re: Lure holders - 10/23/20 02:35 AM

I’m trying out using a small chunk of 1/4” soaker hose on the end of a cheap Tent stake . Pushing it down in a clump of grass not sure if it will work but had the stuff lay around d
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Lure holders - 10/23/20 02:42 AM

Isn't that pretty much the whole purpose of the pipe dream set?

Re: Lure holders - 10/23/20 02:47 AM

I can’t find a way to get the pipes to blend in. When I walk away from a compass set I wanna have trouble seeing where it’s at the next day.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Lure holders - 10/23/20 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy
I can’t find a way to get the pipes to blend in. .

most folks pull up some local grass/weeds to cover the pipe with....... local duff/debris/leaves.
Posted By: MattDoyle

Re: Lure holders - 10/23/20 08:24 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Floral-Flowe...&hvtargid=pla-309792052996&psc=1

I’ve also used corn cobs with good success
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Lure holders - 10/23/20 10:12 AM

An oyster or clam shell, good visual attractor also.
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Lure holders - 10/23/20 10:29 AM

Try using a more pasty type lures. Good quality lure will take alot of rain and still be very effective. Specially on coyotes and fox. If the set is on location that the animal is going to be walking right by they will smell the lure you have in the punch holes even after a few days of hard rain.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Lure holders - 10/23/20 06:19 PM

The new VIAL lure holder tubes come to mind or plastic spoons with rock on top
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Lure holders - 10/24/20 02:54 AM

Wood Qtips or swabs.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Lure holders - 10/24/20 01:18 PM

Double rock set or similar (from Charles Dobbins "Variations" book) keeps lures off the ground AND outa the rain, easy peasy.

Didn't you get the memo to ask a loved one for THAT book (and his Land Sets book) for birthday or Christmas or Easter or Labor Day or anniversary gift?
Posted By: Spade

Re: Lure holders - 10/24/20 03:10 PM

One thing I use is spent shotgun shells, knock out the primer, ,instant drain hole, after I drill out my hole, I hold the shell a little above ground level, and then pack a little dirt around it to hold it. I use them alot up here because I'm trapping in sand and the bait holes collapse.

Disadvantage: You can't get your bait or lure down as deep as some like to.

They do seem to work for me up here.

Re: Lure holders - 10/24/20 04:23 PM

Lots of good ideas thrown out here. I’ll have to give some a try and see how it works.
Posted By: Archeryguy

Re: Lure holders - 10/26/20 05:27 PM

Owning an archery shop I am unlimited access to end cuts and broken carbon arrows. I drive a stake into the ground at a slight angle about a foot deep and then push the 6” shaft into the hole with about a half inch sticking up. Any rain water will drain below it into the stake hole. Drop a lured qtip in and it’s done. Would work great at those compass sets.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Lure holders - 10/26/20 06:31 PM

I use 4" sections of bamboo I stuff them with sheep's wool. As oily as sheep wool Is I don't worry about rain. I can add a lure to the wool but that dirty sheep wool has enough of a scent on It's own.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Lure holders - 10/26/20 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
Double rock set or similar (from Charles Dobbins "Variations" book) keeps lures off the ground AND outa the rain, easy peasy.

Didn't you get the memo to ask a loved one for THAT book (and his Land Sets book) for birthday or Christmas or Easter or Labor Day or anniversary gift?

Or how he used sod, Lands Sets is a great book too. I wore the pages off. Charlie went into great details on how and why it all works from an animals perspective. Get the lure off the ground up in the air currents. Use grey pipe, no need to blend. The pipe is the eye appeal.
Posted By: Coyotero7

Re: Lure holders - 10/26/20 09:18 PM

I went to using QTips 3 years ago after seeing a friend using them and have never had to search for a lure stick again! I cut some in half and use some longer ones for reaching lure at the bottom of the bottle. I store them all in the side pocket of my lure bag where they are easily accessible.

Re: Lure holders - 10/26/20 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Archeryguy
Owning an archery shop I am unlimited access to end cuts and broken carbon arrows. I drive a stake into the ground at a slight angle about a foot deep and then push the 6” shaft into the hole with about a half inch sticking up. Any rain water will drain below it into the stake hole. Drop a lured qtip in and it’s done. Would work great at those compass sets.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great idea now all I need is some arrows.

Re: Lure holders - 10/26/20 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I use 4" sections of bamboo I stuff them with sheep's wool. As oily as sheep wool Is I don't worry about rain. I can add a lure to the wool but that dirty sheep wool has enough of a scent on It's own.

I currently use sheep wool a lot. We have about 20 ewes that get sheared twice a year so I have garbage bags full of the stuff. Actually thought about selling it.

In the spring it seems to be loaded with yellow lanolin.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Lure holders - 10/27/20 12:21 PM

I use q tips for my compass sets just make sure when you drop it down the hole the lure is on the up side. Even if it get wet their nose will find it. I had one out on the farm that sat for almost 20 days before it connected with a nice female not sure how many rains it had on it. Plus it always amazed me in the spring when I would pull earth anchors the way my dog would zero in were I had sets. You would of thought most of the lure or bait would of been complete washed out by then.
J
Posted By: Steve D

Re: Lure holders - 10/28/20 01:07 AM

Just use the brown colored prescription bottles. Place a cotton ball inside, put your lure in, and shove it in the hole. You can also pre-lure, put the cap on, & when you make the hole, remove the cap and push it in the hole. Will hold the scent for a long time and if you need a drain hole just punch a hole in the bottom before it goes in the hole. Had good luck with them in this part of the country.
Everybody is on some kind of drug so they are not hard to come by and even if you had to buy them they are cheap.
Pill Bottles
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Lure holders - 10/28/20 01:39 AM

Not sure how to fully describe what I am going to try and explain to you but here it goes. I use quite a few 12cc disposable syringes to doctor calves, they come in this little plastic hard tube that seals and protects the syringe before use, they just get thrown away. The little tubes make great lure holders with a hole in the bottom end and a Q-tip.
Posted By: plainstrapping25

Re: Lure holders - 10/29/20 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by BraskaYoter
Not sure how to fully describe what I am going to try and explain to you but here it goes. I use quite a few 12cc disposable syringes to doctor calves, they come in this little plastic hard tube that seals and protects the syringe before use, they just get thrown away. The little tubes make great lure holders with a hole in the bottom end and a Q-tip.

That is a good idea. I go through alot of syringes as well. I also used corn cobs on flat sets
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Lure holders - 10/29/20 12:57 PM

save the leg trimmings from fox and yotes. They love to steal an object.
Posted By: Kenny lovell

Re: Lure holders - 10/31/20 09:49 AM

I just cut bamboo make hole with one my stakes.tap your bamboo in lure it up,it hollow work treat plus it blends in.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Lure holders - 10/31/20 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav

Winner!! I do the samething sometimes. But sometimes smaller and no sheeps wool
Posted By: Buzzy

Re: Lure holders - 10/31/20 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Steve D
Just use the brown colored prescription bottles. Place a cotton ball inside, put your lure in, and shove it in the hole. You can also pre-lure, put the cap on, & when you make the hole, remove the cap and push it in the hole. Will hold the scent for a long time and if you need a drain hole just punch a hole in the bottom before it goes in the hole. Had good luck with them in this part of the country.
Everybody is on some kind of drug so they are not hard to come by and even if you had to buy them they are cheap.
Pill Bottles

I like this idea having prescription bottles pre-lured, no waste and will help keep scent off gloves & equipment.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Lure holders - 11/01/20 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy
I can’t find a way to get the pipes to blend in. When I walk away from a compass set I wanna have trouble seeing where it’s at the next day.

Might try relocating a grass clump or two..?
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Lure holders - 11/02/20 04:58 PM

For liquid lures I like to collect the central top stems of spent cattails(jn spring when fluff is gone). Where the fluff was is rough and holds lure well, smooth upper or lower stem area slide into ground easy. I cut lengths to size of glass baby food jars - half smooth, half rough - and fill jar rough ends down. Add one oz of lure to jar and let soak rough ends. I use small jars because when I misplace one I haven't lost my WHOLE seasons lure supply(which has happened,lol). The other holder that is a favorite is 1/2" clvc 90 elbow. I bought a surplus box of thousands at an auction and had to figure out something to do with them. They hold paste lure well and keep it weather protected and are reusable/recoverable to recycle lure into new batch base. varying lengths of cpvc pipe in one end lets you have lure at height wanted when pushed into ground(or stick, or wood dowel). sight attractant as well.
Posted By: chicken

Re: Lure holders - 11/03/20 06:52 PM

FREE_

Corn cob with a hole drilled into it.... If you brake em in half... two sets!!!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums