Home

Catch and release.

Posted By: The Beav

Catch and release. - 01/21/20 06:05 PM

Hung 16 CRs yesterday had 2 coyotes this morning. "HAD" Is the word of the day. Never got out of the truck and the first one popped the BAD. The next one wouldn't give me a shot and made one lunge and was gone. That's 6 BAD failures this year with coyotes.
Those that use CRs are you having better luck when using the J hook BADs?
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Catch and release. - 01/21/20 06:34 PM

Sounds like you have some bad BADs.

Re: Catch and release. - 01/21/20 07:16 PM

I'm thinking of cutting off the press on ones and replacing them with the J hook type. I'll never get to my 10 coyote quest If I keep losing these butt sniffers. LOL
Posted By: scheide

Re: Catch and release. - 01/21/20 08:41 PM

I would get rid of those pressed on BAD's and go with ones from a reliable source. I use the s hook type. I believe a lot BAD's being made, aren't even tested, or tested correctly. And makes a difference using different lengths of snares as to what poundage should be used.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Catch and release. - 01/21/20 09:07 PM

That's not good.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Catch and release. - 01/22/20 12:42 AM

You gotta be a quicker shot, lol.

That sucks tho, Beav

Are you using the 285 or 350#?
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Catch and release. - 01/22/20 12:44 AM

Can you fix your crimpers so they close a little farther ? Have you tested your BADs

Re: Catch and release. - 01/22/20 05:06 AM

Don't have a way to test and these are commercially built. I don't think I'm going to buy any more from them.
Posted By: wileytrapper

Re: Catch and release. - 01/22/20 10:10 AM

Although not required in Indiana I have used snares with the 285# S-hook style BAD and have had coyotes open them slightly up but have not had any escape. I have never used the J-hook style as of yet. Not sure where your getting your cable restraints made but would definitely recommend you use a reliable source like Rally Hess or Southern Snare and Supply. Also if your not already I would recommend the highest release poundage your state requires and nothing lower. looking at your regulations I would recommend the 350# BAD.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Catch and release. - 01/22/20 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Don't have a way to test and these are commercially built. I don't think I'm going to buy any more from them.

I always talk about making my own- but I've had good luck at the Snare Shop.
Posted By: Newt

Re: Catch and release. - 01/22/20 01:18 PM

PM sent
© 2024 Trapperman Forums