Home

Why go the PM only route?

Posted By: Cootswatter

Why go the PM only route? - 01/03/20 11:43 PM

I'm curious why some people on this forum just respond "sent PM". WHY??? Most people on here seem to want to help everyone. You'd think with our sport dying a slow and steady death, your secretes probably aren't that cool, anyway.

JMHO

Coot
Posted By: Boco

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/03/20 11:46 PM

They are talking about you behind your back.
Posted By: charman03

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 01:10 AM

Check your PM messages

Lolz j/k. I don’t understand why a guy likes to pm everyone instead of just responding on the thread haha
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 01:19 AM

Talking about methods of dispatching is one of the thing not allowed on open forum
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 01:26 AM

I post my stuff 95% of the time on open forums but sometimes people want to share information without others telling them it's not right. I've shared some of the stuff I've learned testing lures by PM to help a guy out but figured if others didnt want to put in the work to learn why should I share it with them. I've also discussed people and businesses privately because it didnt need to be public.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 01:27 AM

Pm sent lol
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 01:28 AM

Back in the day there were quite a few knowledgeable folks on the forum that would post pertinent information, only to be told by the newbie/first catch/ member they didn't know what they were talking about.

Now if some one has a truly pertinent question its easier to PM them as get told your Full of it.

I personally used to respond to open forum cage trapping/fur put up/bobcat questions but anymore it's PM for the most part. Mainly for the reason I mentioned
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mousey Trapper
Talking about methods of dispatching is one of the thing not allowed on open forum

and I'll bet the OP isn't talking bout that.

Unfortunately Cootswatter, some still hoard info, which, like you said, just helps this craft die.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 01:42 AM

Some of us follow this site religiously hoping to learn. PM’s aren’t a great learning tool, lol.
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 02:22 AM

PM sent, Coot.
Posted By: Urbancoon

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Monster Toms

Back in the day there were quite a few knowledgeable folks on the forum that would post pertinent information, only to be told by the newbie/first catch/ member they didn't know what they were talking about.

But newbies can PM others with 'expert' advice (not suggesting you're a newbie, just suggesting that a PM doesn't necessarily mean the advice is gold).

What I like about open forums is that if you hang around long enough, you build up a knowledge base and get to know who you can trust and what advice makes sense.

Sometimes there are just different ways of doing things. I like to read about how different trappers do the same thing differently. It allows me to develop a bigger picture of the idea which allows me to think of ways that I could make it work for me, better.

I don't post here much because my lack of experience is embarrassing compared with some of you, but I used to post quite a bit on another forum where I had more expertise. I found that when sideways advice came up, the best thing to do was to call them out on it--the experience trappers know the difference between the good, the bad and the ugly, and the newbies learn to read between the lines.

Where differences of opinion came up, it was best to simply respect the other's opinion and leave it at that.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 06:46 AM

Think if the person want to share info on open forum great,,,
But it is his knowledge that took time ,,money,, lot of trail and era to get so if they choose to help out someone independently his right imo.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 07:29 AM

Personally it's usual a design or something I just don't wanna share our in the open. Some folks will copy and say the idea was 100% there's and it's quite irritating.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 08:08 AM

Maybe these PM masters are giving out poor info and are afraid to get called out on It.
Tossing out your ideas even if they don't go along with other posters claims Is what makes this form work. Different ideas give all of us things to work on and see what works and doesn't work for them. Life Is about choices so lets hear all of them.
Some may not agree with what I post but when I post on a subject It's been tested and It worked for me I'm not just typing for the exercise. LOl But I have given some food for thought and they can sift through It and see If some of my systems will work In there system.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 09:45 AM

1 thing that baffles me is why some people type 'PM sent.' Paul has this forum well set up so a person can easily see if they have a new PM.
Posted By: wr otis

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 12:12 PM

What monster Tom's said is absolutely true, I know multiple guys some who quit posting almost completely due to people hassling their advice.

Another possibility is a guy can't stand some of the people on a thread or the forum in general, and don't want to just blab good info to people they don't care for or respect.

Wolfdogs stealing of intellectual property angle is absolutely true also, as you will see technology theft is rampant in the trapping industry.

The people I can't stand and the idea theft, are the things that I think about before saying anything one way or the other.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 12:22 PM

AJE, that's correct. But members need to be logged in to see their log in name flashing that indicates a PM. I'm sure we all scan the front page real quick without always logging in each time.
But the site does work very well.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 12:37 PM

Cause when they told me my jukes were dunk my ego got bruised and the traps feelings got hurt.
Ever notice how popularity of ideas flip flop depending on who brings it up?
Amusing stuff this internet. Looks like it's here to stay.

PM not scented.
Posted By: Newt

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 12:47 PM

I sell secret lure and sets that us pro longliners use,on the PM
Posted By: Cleatus

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 01:04 PM

What is this secret lure and set you sell? LOL
Posted By: NvHermit

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 01:24 PM

I did a few google searches a couple years ago and stole all you guys intellectual property and used it to catch cats.

So suck it !
Posted By: Newt

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 01:48 PM

PM sent

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by wr otis
I know multiple guys some who quit posting almost completely due to people hassling their advice.

I believe that could be true.
tMan is great, but if people are jerks maybe the moderators should more often hold them accountable before the jack arse scares good people off. Mod's have a tough job & I realize the moderators have a lot of info to sift through though, and that they try to not hinder free speech. I'm not saying that publicly questioning someones advice is being a jerk.

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 03:02 PM

You have to be pretty thin skinned to worry about what others think about your advice.
I love to stir the pot because that's what brings out other ideas on the subject. If you post on a thread and every one looks at It and figures that's the way It Is. It becomes a thread killer and we learn nothing.

There's more then one way to skin a cat.

I hope AJE doesn't take this the wrong way. But He's a pain In the arse when It comes to all these questions he posts. But guess what a lot of information come to light because of It. Keep it going AJE

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 03:05 PM

The questions will slow once bobcat season ends, lol.

I try to start some good discussions that ALL can learn from.

I like the exchange of ideas.

It's incredible what people can learn on tMan. Combine that with time in the field & attending demos etc, and trappers learning curves are GREATLY shortened thanks in part to the good people on tMan. This is helping recruit & retain trappers.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 03:21 PM

Bunch of snowflakes-take your ball and go home-good riddance.
Young trappers remember- basic sets,hard work and long hours is the secret-all the rest is snake oil.

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
The questions will slow once bobcat season ends, lol.

I try to start some good discussions that ALL can learn from.

I like the exchange of ideas.

It's absolutely incredible what people can learn on tMan. Combine that with time in the field & attending demos etc, and trappers learning curves are GREATLY shortened thanks to the good people on tMan. This is helping recruit & retain trappers.

No way you will come up with something else. LOl

Spot on Boco.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mousey Trapper

I understand but what are the other reasons you do it?
Posted By: wr otis

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 05:00 PM

Trap design and modification technology is swiped all the time. If you have designs on something that would be able to be patented, you would be a fool to post it on here.

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 05:00 PM

Because He Is just shy.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cootswatter
I'm curious why some people on this forum just respond "sent PM". WHY??? Most people on here seem to want to help everyone. You'd think with our sport dying a slow and steady death, your secretes probably aren't that cool, anyway.

JMHO

Coot

I do both. But, I have no secrets. I can guarantee that someone, somewhere, at sometime has already done it.
Posted By: Cootswatter

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 06:03 PM

I guess I never thought of the harassment angle, and I get that. PM away. I'll take any advise...

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/04/20 06:05 PM

Wolfdog Is pretty inventive but If you've a been around awhile It's all been done before.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/05/20 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Wolfdog Is pretty inventive but If you've a been around awhile It's all been done before.

There's one or two things I've come up with that I'm 98% sure haven't. Very specialized

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/05/20 12:18 AM

Could be but don't bet on It.
Posted By: MNCedar

Re: Why go the PM only route? - 01/05/20 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Monster Toms

Back in the day there were quite a few knowledgeable folks on the forum that would post pertinent information

You're right, it was incredible. I learned so much on this site that I can't even begin to put it into words. Truly priceless information. Many have left, but a handful are still posting some good stuff.

For me, when the same people who profess to be newbies incessantly post "advice" it becomes a little off-putting. It happened then and seems to continue to be a thing now. I think many could benefit from using the prepositional phrase "In my area, what works for me is _________"

I can remember Paul Dobbins addressing the problematic internet-trapper advice as "Parroting information." I have always remembered that expression and thought it was fantastic.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums