Home

Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers

Posted By: Artrapper16

Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 02:06 AM

Because Im tired of not catching anything idk what I'm doing wrong. You guys that have experience please chime in.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 02:14 AM

Do you have coons? In numbers?
I started setting today for the first time this season. Found (1) one set of coons tracks and that was it, lol. Just decided to set all the areas I’ve set in the past and caught critters. We will see.

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 02:19 AM

I just want to be able to catch the coon that I do have I don't have much land to trap so I won't be able to put up big numbers I just want to be able to catch coon consistently.
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 02:58 AM

check your mail box
Posted By: Boy Named Sue

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 03:35 AM

I dont know about numbers, but prebaiting might be beneficial. I watched a utube video called coon trapping Burger King style. I have tried this method and it worked for me. I used corn for bait.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 10:54 AM

your question is to vague. how can anybody who has not seen what and where have an answer?

IF there are coons finding your traps and your not catching them its likely a bait/lure problem. IF there are no coons where your setting traps you need to move them. The best sets are blind sets with an attractant added. I will catch more coons per trap with 1 1/2 coilsprings than I will with dogproofs.

a cheap and effective coon bait is a can of jack mackerel bought at the dollar store. you don't really need a lure. that mackerel has plenty of smell. if nothing happens after 3-4 days of nice weather , its time to move your set
Posted By: KB64

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 11:22 AM

I would also try some flat sets with fox gland or mink gland. I catch big boar coons in coyote flat sets usually with gland or urine present.

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 01:36 PM

Thanks everyone sorry danny what I mean is nothing is even taking the bait from them. I catch a bout one coon a week. It's pretty bad.
Posted By: Short Track

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 01:56 PM

Coons don't move below 28 degrees outside. At least not my urban coons.
Posted By: Arkansas87

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 02:27 PM

How many traps you have out Artrapper?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 02:38 PM

how large an area are you trapping and how many have you already caught? are you still seeing tracks?
Posted By: k snow

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 02:55 PM

If you don't have denning or feeding areas, you are just catching them travelling on their routes. One a week sounds about right for an area without a ton of raccoon. I hit several dryland wooded areas and get 4-6 coon pretty quick, then it tapers off. I believe the original spike are the local residents and then I am just getting the travelers or the odd one working into a new area.

In short, you can't catch what is not there.

If you know they are there and they are not touching your bait, either switch bait, or make sure you are set ON sign. Not near it, not ten feet away, right ON the sign. Or try blind sets.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 03:07 PM

When we could road trap here In WI It was very easy to put up large numbers of coon by running nothing but BGs In trails leading to the road. 100 coon days were the norm for the first few checks then It was time to hit new ground.

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
how large an area are you trapping and how many have you already caught? are you still seeing tracks?
I don't have many out right now I think I have 9 out so far I've caught 5 but it's been a month and a half
Posted By: Arkansas87

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 04:59 PM

Put out more sets on sign and cover more ground=more coon
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 05:55 PM

Seems like no matter how many coyote sets I run I will end up with as many coon in coyote sets as I do coyotes. And yes they move in some really cold temps. It's all relative...a 20 degree warmup from zero or below will move coon. Caught a lot of them well below freezing temps.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 06:39 PM

Watch some of Sam Woods videos. Put in a couple Burger Kings. Watch some of his locations and sets. Of course look in the archives. Woods has some interesting thoughts and I have picked up a few thins. Coon Creek has some stuff too and he racks em up. There is a lot of info out there. What traps and sets are you using. Foot holds blind sets, pocket sets if footholds are they bedded good and is pan tension low. DP's. Snares. Some times changing up and using multiple methods will help increase numbers. As with anything there has to be numbers there to get numbers.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 10:59 PM

It’s a numbers game. And a location game. And it can be a waiting game. If you expect a 10% return, on any given night, you need more than 9 traps out.

Change locations. Put out more traps. Set on sign. No tracks/trails/ or poop suggests your locations need to be changed.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/19/19 11:04 PM

If you are trapping land, trap like you would fox, just make the sets more visible and use flagging. unless you are not allowed to catch bobcats. I can't use foot traps but I use DP traps the same way as you would use foot traps, meaning dirt holes, hay sets, mound sets and other sets for out in the open land trapping. folks do not even know the sets are there till there is a coon in it. Like teacher stated location is the key. Also in my area, the big boars are going to be on the field edges, where the drainage goes down into the woods off the field. the woods road coming out into the field. crop changes close to a swamp or woods. I also use draw station a lot or the deer hunters feeders I just set back off the feeder to get the coon coming rather than try to get it at the feeder.

Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/20/19 02:37 AM

Not sure what you consider “numbers” but we usually have 120 to 150 coon . I would say 95% are dry land catches.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/20/19 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by jabNE
Seems like no matter how many coyote sets I run I will end up with as many coon in coyote sets as I do coyotes.

Same!
Posted By: wzroberts

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/20/19 02:31 PM

Any deer hunters in the area running corn feeders?

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/20/19 07:43 PM

Yes and I run traps on them but even then my catch is slow I know we have more coon than I'm catching
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Anybody trap dryland coon in numbers - 12/20/19 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Artrapper16
Yes and I run traps on them but even then my catch is slow I know we have more coon than I'm catching

Do u live in south Arkansas? I live in northern Arkansas. I trap road ditches bridges on way to work. I do good. Catch the easy ones move on. Like danny said u will catch more coons in a coilspring than dp. But I run dp because there fast. I catch the easy ones move on. A good loud smelling fish is a skipjack or shad. I am fixing to make bait. I am going to grind some skipjack up.There free in the river.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums