Home

Bobcat visual attractors

Posted By: Flatiron

Bobcat visual attractors - 12/09/19 06:35 AM

How important is a visual attractor for a Bobcat set ?
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 12/09/19 09:20 AM

You know what they say, "Curiosity killed the cat". Plus it helps too, line up the cat to go to your set and over your trap.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 12/09/19 09:36 AM

It helps alot, but not always can i use one . Theft keeps me from hanging a bunch of people attactors all over. People just cant leave stuff alone. But most definitely use them when you can.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 12/09/19 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Flatiron

A bobcat has a way better nose than most think
But it can 't hurt to have a visual attraction also if fell it helps.
But I find they work better behind the trap i.m.e.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 12/09/19 11:35 PM

I use a visual attraction to bring the cat from a distance away to the vicinity of the set where the bait or lure takes over and draws it into the set.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 12/10/19 03:00 AM

If you get snow ,,,Set in travel way,,, nothing replaces that not even lure or bait imo.
Posted By: Lurp

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 12/10/19 03:28 AM

I find them very important. I’ve caught cats and followed their tracks in the snow to see where they’ve come from and watched them bee-line for my set from 50yds out once they could see my visual flagging. I buy feather boas and cut them into 8” long pieces that’s I hang near my set. I try and blend the boa color to my surroundings to keep other people from seeing them and stealing my trap. The feathers of the boa have enough motion that a cat will pick it up from a ways out even when the color blends in with the surroundings.
Posted By: wrh1971

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 12/10/19 03:29 AM

Any tips on how close/far to hang from your set? I have a cat using river bank on camera, and plan to put out a few sets this weekend. thanks
Posted By: Lurp

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 12/10/19 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by wrh1971
Any tips on how close/far to hang from your set? I have a cat using river bank on camera, and plan to put out a few sets this weekend. thanks

I hang my flagging as close to the set as I can but stay away from hanging it over blocking or guiding as I’ve had cats climb on top of guiding and blocking to try and get at the flagging. I also use visual attractors like colored craft feathers and fake fur directly at the set. The job of the flagging is to get them in the vicinity, then the local visual attractors and the scent takes over. I keep my flagging attractors within 10ft or so of my set and usually place them in the most visible location where they can be seen from the greatest distance.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 12/10/19 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lurp
I hang my flagging as close to the set as I can but stay away from hanging it over blocking or guiding as I’ve had cats climb on top of guiding and blocking to try and get at the flagging. I also use visual attractors like colored craft feathers and fake fur directly at the set. The job of the flagging is to get them in the vicinity, then the local visual attractors and the scent takes over. I keep my flagging attractors within 10ft or so of my set and usually place them in the most visible location where they can be seen from the greatest distance.
Agree^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 12/10/19 04:47 AM

I find it interesting the different ways trappers approach putting a set in front of a bobcat or attracting a cat.
Verses how some put trap where cat is going to step walking thru,,, then what is used if anything at the set.
Posted By: IDTrapman

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 12/10/19 04:51 AM

I use em on all my sets. Check these out...
wyldwingsproductions.com
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 12/10/19 05:14 AM

Anyone use a visual attractor on a walk through snare set? I know the travel ways are the first choice, just wondering if one can be guided through a snare to get a better look at an attractor.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 12/12/19 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by sneaky
Anyone use a visual attractor on a walk through snare set? I know the travel ways are the first choice, just wondering if one can be guided through a snare to get a better look at an attractor.

I plan on using some cable restraints this year for bobcat and was curious, as well, about the practicality or benefit of using a visual attractor with such a set. You raised a good question, hopefully someone will chime in.

The other thing I'm wondering, in general, for bobcat trapping, is how high off the ground the bottom of a visual attractant should be.

Posted By: Posco

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 12/13/19 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
The other thing I'm wondering, in general, for bobcat trapping, is how high off the ground the bottom of a visual attractant should be.

I usually go three or four feet off the ground depending on how thick the understory is. I might go five feet if the visibility is there. Someone mentioned flags being people attractors. I take that into consideration, too.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 12/13/19 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Flatiron

It might mean the difference between checking an empty trap or snagging a big tom
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 12/13/19 10:48 AM

As long as you put it in the right but spot. Behind the trap so the cat has to go over trap to get to it.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/19/20 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by strike2x
As long as you put it in the right but spot. Behind the trap so the cat has to go over trap to get to it.

Makes sense, but sometimes then I'm thinking the cat may try approaching the set from behind
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/20/20 12:55 AM

I flag most cat sets. That being said I catch quite a few in dirt hole set, but I always have a few feathers in and around the dirt hole. Make sure that’s legal in your state!! I like mine 5-10 feet in front of the set about 5 feet off the ground. I put all of them on a big brass swivels to the move in even a slight wind. Tanned fur scraps, duck wings, and turkey tail feathers is what I usually use. Good luck

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/20/20 03:09 AM

That's interesting how you put your flagging on a swivel
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/20/20 01:05 PM

If you don’t swivel it, it will eventually break off if using fishing line or even braided line.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/20/20 01:41 PM

Here's one I use,turkey tail feather and not pictured one of the primary wing feather tail and primary you have contrast.You can dip or paint feather to your liking if your state allows feathers to be used the cd just add's flash with sun or moon light,hope this helps. [Linked Image]

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/20/20 01:55 PM

Here's a picture of a walk thru/rub type set. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/20/20 02:20 PM

Nice photos Rick. Why three stepping sticks? Looks like you leave two open step spots. Do you use two traps? Thanks for your help.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/20/20 02:35 PM

Sometime 2 traps,3 to 4 stepping sticks guide sticks to get them used to stepping into the hard blocking trap bed.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/20/20 02:39 PM

Thanks Rick. Makes sense.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/20/20 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by rick olson
Here's a picture of a walk thru/rub type set. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice looking set, Rick. Sheep's wool wired to the tree? I'm glad I saw your pics. I've been running the logs you use for your walkthrough ninety degrees opposite of how you do yours. I'm definitely going to make some sets like that.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/21/20 02:05 AM

Yesterday I made this set, with the feature being a charred piece of firewood in the center. Dirt hole to left corner of opening. I'm trying to try everything. 28 sets out now. A logging road behind it and a swamp in front.
[Linked Image]

Jake trap.

Beer can for flagging (can't use exposed feathers in Wi).

I put a lil bit of straw in the dirt hole after taking this picture.

Hard to tell from the pic, but this was a lil natural dirt mound.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/21/20 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
That's interesting how you put your flagging on a swivel

I’ll take a pic tomorrow and post it. Nothing special but it sure helps

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/21/20 02:13 AM

Thanks!

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/21/20 03:00 AM

I might try a straw set, although keeping the snow off it could be a challenge

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/21/20 02:48 PM

I like your posted set AJE. I'm no expert but I wonder if you moved your trap out to the front just between the two pine limb butts if it would work better. Might catch the cat that doesn't enter all the way. Hope you get him.
Posted By: brymoore

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/21/20 05:00 PM

I use a cd out front of my set as an attractor. 5 to 10 yards away. The back of my set will have something to attract the cat - bone or a stick with ribbon on it. I set two traps - one at the entrance and one outside of it. In my experience, cats are hesitant to enter but will get 18 to 24 inches away to inspect the funny object in the trap. I use urine and call lures too.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/21/20 08:08 PM

Responses in this thread seem pretty well divided between attracting cats to area and attracting foot to trap pan. My comments pertain to visuals at trap.

Block the set in well from all directions. Opening where trap is can be V-type (step in, back out), but I think walk through is better. Whether it's a dirt hole, scent post, rub set, flat set, it can be constructed as a walk through. If walk through, visual attractor(s) is/are in side(s) of passageway. If not walk through, attractor is behind trap where cat has to step on pan to reach attractor or sniff scent.

Best possible at-trap visual attractor for bobcats is birds or feathers. I am not saying use them because in many cases they are illegal. Most species of wild birds are protected by federal law. Many states have regulations regarding use of game birds/animals/fish or parts, as well as set-back distance from trap for visible bait (with "bait" being broadly defined to include such things as feathers, even if they are chicken feathers).

In Idaho where I live game bird/animal/fish can be used only if they are made into scent. The exception allowing animal parts as visuals is bleached bones. I have used faux fur and other non-animal items. At least technically, use of sheep wool here within 30' of trap or snare is illegal.

For visual attractors to area I once bought a quantity of salvaged computer hard disks off eBay. Those disks are very shinny and were cheap.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/22/20 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rubee
I like your posted set AJE. I'm no expert but I wonder if you moved your trap out to the front just between the two pine limb butts if it would work better. Might catch the cat that doesn't enter all the way. Hope you get him.

I wonder that too. I have no idea.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/22/20 02:22 AM

You're going to catch a cat in that set.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/22/20 03:48 AM

I'm honed in. But the clock is ticking, too. We'll see. I'm not giving up til 11 pm 1/31. What's interesting is the neighboring landowner is cat trapping too. Ha, what are the chances. I'm hoping he stirs things my direction. Never know.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/22/20 04:39 AM

Another trick I haven’t seen mentioned is a furby critter for lack of a better name. Should be legal for states that don’t allow animal parts. Fake fur cut into a two x eight inch strip make a miniature hanger like a wire coat hanger with the “hook” straightend out . Fold the strip furside out over the bottom of the hanger and glue. Now here’s the seal the deal “trick” get a bag of plastic teddy bear “eyes “ and glue them on the critter where they would be if the critter is real. Do this to both sides so there is a set of eyes showing either way. Hang above and behind your trap with swivel or interlocking loops of wire so the slightest breeze will make it move.
One of the cage trappers on here uses them. Hope this helps. Hope you catch a big ol clear belly Tom.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/22/20 04:48 AM

We can use faux products tho must be really careful if we do. It's legal, but in many cases not advisable. Today was the 2nd day in a row I scouted a property (in different parts of the county) & had an eagle fly high overhead. That's not common, but something we must be very cognizant of in Wi.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/22/20 02:01 PM

Lots of good info

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/22/20 06:32 PM

No matter what you hang to attract cats it will attract their attention when it flutters in a breeze. IMO a simple piece of cardboard is as effective as anything and is easily seen for long distances compare to other items. A 4X6 inch piece cardboard, brown on one side and white on the other. When fluttering in a breeze the white stands out against the dark forest cover background and the brown against the snow, like a flashing neon sign.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/22/20 07:07 PM

I always used patridge or turkey wings back when it was still legal here in Maine

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/22/20 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
I always used patridge or turkey wings back when it was still legal here in Maine
Back when I used bird wings I occasionally had cats play with them rather than investigate the set I was drawing them to. This never happened when I used the cardboard flasher; no smell to the cardboard vs the bird wing.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/22/20 08:44 PM

Hang above and behind your trap with swivel or interlocking loops of wire so the slightest breeze will make it move.

This for at set flags. IMHO interlocking loops of wire result in better movement patterns than swivels do. Also, a somewhat stiff wire can hold a flag out away from tree limbs the flag might tangle with. I dislike fishing line because of windy day tangling issues.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/22/20 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by bctomcat
Back when I used bird wings I occasionally had cats play with them rather than investigate the set I was drawing them to. This never happened when I used the cardboard flasher; no smell to the cardboard vs the bird wing.

I always hung my bird wings about 6 feet directly over the set.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/22/20 09:18 PM

Good point to consider when using bird wings.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/23/20 03:08 AM

AJE, I’m a bit late, but this is how I hang mine. Like I said nothing complicated. I’ve use lots of things over the years. Pheasant skin with feathers, wings, rabbit fur, CD’s, etc.. I really like tanned coyote fur scraps.

Attached picture EEBA4792-53AA-457D-84B4-FAE55D39D399.jpeg

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/23/20 04:47 AM

Ok. I have some of those swivels.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/23/20 11:36 PM

This coyote didn't seem overly concerned by my flag. And look what shows up after the season closes. I had sets in that location for two months and do think a fisher would come through. Noooooo.

https://youtu.be/lpnl3eJ-6tU

https://youtu.be/PsjIR-kdRh4

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/23/20 11:52 PM

Posco nice looking fisher

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/23/20 11:55 PM

Posco nice looking fisher

Thanks, Bruce. I had terrible luck with fisher this year and last. I didn't have enough sets out to plug all the holes they were running through. I see you really like setting the cedar swamps for them.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/24/20 03:46 PM

One morning I was checking traps and looked down the two track to see a coyote in one of my bobcat sets. I keep heading toward the set set and the coyote takes off down the road. Crap, it pulled out I thought. Got down there and my trap wasn't even set off. He was just standing there right by my set when I first saw him. Anyway I had a piece of Christmas tree tensil hanging above the set and it didn't stop him from getting close to the set.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/26/20 12:00 PM

I sometimes wonder how good cats can see flagging in the dark

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/26/20 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
I sometimes wonder how good cats can see flagging in the dark

Their eye sight is Incredible. But then again their lives depend on it.
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/27/20 12:52 AM

I bought some new ones. Christmas ornaments Angel's. Big wings big white dress some has blond hair some black.. The hair is made out of yarn. .25 cents each. My wife was making fun of them. Easy to pack around.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/27/20 03:54 AM

I have tracked cats back over a quarter mile to a point that they sat and watched my flagging. Heck I can see flagging at times that far if the sun is right. You bet that they can see it and look at the size of there eyes they have some great night vision. I have heard different things about a cats nose but I doubt they can smell most lure a quarter mile but they can see the flagging. Its great if you cut a cat track on a trail in the woods set it up. Out here in the west in the rock piles good luck even finding cat tracks some seasons with no snow. I use flagging very heavy and catch more then my share of cats double digits some years.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/27/20 04:16 AM

I used bctomcat's suggestion and hung a piece of cardboard today@ a new set tonight. It showed up good, especially when it spun in the wind
I use some clear string that I bought in the craft section@ Walmart. It looks like thick fishing line, but can be used in the field without a knife or scissors.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/28/20 04:09 AM

Does straw work good for bobcat? Not hay but straw. Make a dirt hole & then put a small handful of straw in the hole at some sets is what I've been doing.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/29/20 05:22 AM

I think anything that is out of normal that stands out will work.

Re: Bobcat visual attractors - 01/29/20 05:44 AM

It's easy to carry straw w/ in the winter, when grass is hard to find b/c of the deep snow. I just keep a bail in my truck.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums