Home

Beaver traps?

Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Beaver traps? - 12/04/19 04:10 PM

I am going to order some beaver traps soon for xmas. I have been looking at TS85 bridger #5 coil springs no bs beaver traps and Montana beaver trap. I like the looks of the square jaws on bs and ts85 . But I like the bridger and Montana too. I like the ts 85 because 8 1/2 jaws. Do I get regular jaws? Going to use on otter too. I like the dogless traps. Can ya help on good and bad of each traps? Can u 4 coil the ts85 traps?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/04/19 04:25 PM

You can four coil the ts85s. Though that takes the advantage of being able to set the trap on my hip out. The no BS are a lot heavier so they will wear the beaver out, and you out, quicker.

Haven't tried the Montana.

The Bridger is a good trap but I'd put a different Sterling style pan on it as it's a pain to set while wearing gloves or if you got the shakes.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/04/19 04:45 PM

I love the TS-85. Regular jaw, for me.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/04/19 05:10 PM

Snares are so easy and so effective and no loss in fur value in this market means beaver footholds never leave the fur shed anymore.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/04/19 05:36 PM

Lots of beaver trappers have had problems holding beaver In those TS-85s. The best beaver trap on the market Is the MB750.
Posted By: son-of-grizz

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/04/19 05:36 PM

You can always go by the way I was told. Buy once, try once and then buy what you like. I just bought mb750, Bridger #5 coil and long, sleepy creek #4 long. So far only have used the Bridger coilspring. I'm liking it but first night set had beaver held by front foot.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/04/19 06:40 PM

I am switching from MB 750 to the NO-BS Beaver trap. Even 4 coiled, I can set and release critters by hand, no setters required for the NO-BS Beaver trap. They also come already coated and with good chain. Jaw spread is too large on the TS-85 for my state.

Got a friend that is having lots of issues with leavers splitting on 750s. And the night latch on the 750 and the pan tension needs constant attention IMO. I have caught a bunch of beaver with 750s but I like the NO-BS better.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/04/19 08:00 PM

#5 duke or bridger in the longspring variety
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/04/19 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Lots of beaver trappers have had problems holding beaver In those TS-85s. The best beaver trap on the market Is the MB750.

Gotta agree with The Beav - awesome - all business trap.
Get some setters...
Posted By: Posco

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/04/19 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by ShawneeMan
Originally Posted by The Beav

Gotta agree with The Beav - awesome - all business trap.
Get some setters...

More than pleased with the 750s.

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/05/19 03:11 AM

I talked to 2 good beaver trappers at nta. They told me to stay away from mb 750. I cant remember what they had issue was. They used ts 85 and bridger's. I for about the cdr traps. I been trying to read what I can about the no bs and Montanas. I like the part about how heavy duty the bs are and dipped too.
Posted By: Boy Named Sue

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/05/19 03:52 AM

I have 750's and Bridgers with Pit pans. I prefer the Bridgers. Even with small hands I can set them on my leg in the water, and the Pit pans gives me consistent pan tension. The MB's are getting a few years on them and are as Harold said.
Posted By: MT bowhunter

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/05/19 04:39 AM

All I use are the Montana #5's. When your hands are cold and wet you will appreciate a dogless beaver trap. I target back foot catches and generally have an ankle catch. Pretty good price for the value.
Posted By: forester79

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/05/19 12:22 PM

I like the #5 longs. Easier to set then the #5 coils. Dukes are my preferred as they come with pit pans and center swiveled.
Posted By: Doug66

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/05/19 01:24 PM

I sold all of my 750's and swapped over to the No BS beaver trap. The few CDR's I have will always be with me too.

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/05/19 01:59 PM

The 2 older beaver trappers said. Why they liked the ts85 over 750. U got higher back foot catchs. And the traps lock up better. I am just saying what I was told. I have victor #4 double springs. I going with a coil spring this time. Have to pick one from ts 85 no bs and Montana. I like the dogless traps better. Does the ts85 need to be 4 coil like others?
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/05/19 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by bobcat_trapper
The 2 older beaver trappers said. Why they liked the ts85 over 750. U got higher back foot catchs. And the traps lock up better.

Then they were simply wrong.

Of your choices though, the NO BS would be my pick.

The TS85 was by FAR the worst beaver trap I ever used. (and though some guys seem to like them, there are alot of good beaver trappers who agree with me!) I'd pick a #4 jump trap over them every time and it's the greatest choice either. Lots of empty traps tripped, some still in the beds some at the bottom of the drowning rods. There was a video on here one time of a beaver caught in one high on the back foot but the trap was at the bottom of the drowner empty. If you look at most of the catch pictures with them you can see where the trap has slid down the leg and luckily got stopped on the ankle bone.

You will NEVER see this with a TS85...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/05/19 05:42 PM

I had the same experience as ADC and so did my son. Mine was two coiled. I believe if I had tried a 4 spring 85 trap, I could have had a different experience. I just never gave the trap a second chance. 4 coiled may be the difference. I just never tried one with 4 springs. I just used the first 85 trap shown me at a show. You that like the trap, Are they all 4 coil? Have you tried both? I Want to give a fair shot.

Maybe there were additions made after I bought mine. These new ones may be the difference.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/05/19 05:50 PM

Looks like If you want them 4 coiled you have to do It yourself.
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/05/19 05:57 PM

Maybe they are made with stronger springs now than when they first came out. I just don,t know, to give it a fair shot. I know I made spring improvements over the years on my own traps as the design and application changed.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/05/19 06:49 PM

Mine are 2-coiled.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/05/19 07:03 PM

I had the same experiences with the TS 85's as Kirk De and ADC.I bought a half dozen to try them once and had far too many sprung and empty traps in the beds and down the drowners. Certainly not acceptable for getting the last one on damage jobs. I sold them and kept using the MB 750's and never looked back. They may not be the perfect trap but I do not ever find them sprung and empty. If they are not seen in their bed, they are down the drowner with something in them every time. I might some day try the no BS trap.
Posted By: Birdman382

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/05/19 08:23 PM

Say I caught a 35 pound beaver this morning as I set the trap yesterday. Wiebke said about $10.00 or $12.00 rough or skinned. Cleaned skin takes an hour, rough skinned about half hour. This beaver is not going to make a blanket as that takes a 40 pounder. What you getting in the rough?
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/05/19 10:42 PM

I never 4 coiled any of mine.2 coil is plenty
Posted By: StatelineRunner

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/06/19 03:57 AM

I have never had problem's with T85's.At least I can set them with my bare hands. I run 4 lbs pan tension.

Re: Beaver traps? - 12/07/19 02:25 PM

All the bad experiences I read about the ts85. I second guessing that trap. Have to put bridger #5 back in race. No bs , Montana #5 and bridger #5. I like the dogless ones the best.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums