Home

Dishwashing traps?

Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Dishwashing traps? - 10/21/19 11:52 PM

Howdy,
Would y'all recommend running traps through the dishwasher to get the grease off? What about snares to make them un-shiny? Should I use soap or not?
Thanks,
AT
Posted By: oneoldboot

Re: Dishwashing traps? - 10/22/19 12:24 AM

If you are married and want to stay with her, don't do it,
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Dishwashing traps? - 10/22/19 12:29 AM

I used the dishwasher my wife's wasnt very happy to say the least!!! It works. Put your snares in a pot . Put water over snares. Add baking soda. It will clean snares and make them a little off color. Not real shinny.
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: Dishwashing traps? - 10/22/19 12:39 AM

Depends on the trap. Some clean well in the dish washer and others require a bit of hand work. The pro 550 off set is an example
Posted By: wayne52

Re: Dishwashing traps? - 10/22/19 12:42 AM

If I get new traps my wife puts them in the dish washer
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Dishwashing traps? - 10/22/19 01:28 AM

I did it once!!
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Dishwashing traps? - 10/22/19 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by wayne52

Mine to wayne, I'm thinking we married right.
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Dishwashing traps? - 10/22/19 01:43 AM

I’ve done it a couple of times , when the wife had to work on Saturday’s .
Posted By: AppalachianTrapr

Re: Dishwashing traps? - 10/22/19 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by beartooth trapr
Originally Posted by wayne52

Mine to wayne, I'm thinking we married right.

x3. Mine prefers to do it I think she doesn’t trust me because sometimes I have let the chains get hit by the spinney thing under the top rack. Really no issue though.

I don’t use soap by the way. I don’t think it would hurt, I just run it hot, no air dry and toss them outside in the evening.
Posted By: FriarTuck

Re: Dishwashing traps? - 10/22/19 02:36 AM

I found a portable at the habitat for humanity restore.
Redid the racks so they are lined with hardware cloth.
It does a great job. I just run it on hot and do them twice.
Posted By: DavidInMT

Re: Dishwashing traps? - 10/22/19 03:19 AM

While you're working in the kitchen washing traps in the dishwasher, you can also make small batches of dry dirt in the oven... Just don't use her pans, and plan some extra time to air out the dirt smell in the kitchen. I've never used the dishwasher for traps, but the oven does work for dry dirt in a pinch.
Posted By: KJD357

Re: Dishwashing traps? - 10/22/19 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by AuthorTrapper
Howdy,
Would y'all recommend running traps through the dishwasher to get the grease off? What about snares to make them un-shiny? Should I use soap or not?
Thanks,
AT

Yes, it works well, for both snares and traps. I ran baking soda instead of soap for both, wrapped the chain around the trap and the snap the swivel into the jaws because I have let it dangle one to many times lol. They will start rusting very quickly after the wash cycle, so get them out right away to keep momma happy and rust stains out of the machine. Toss them in the yard to air out and run the dishwasher again, this time with soap to get and residual oil out of it and you’re good to go.
Posted By: btomlin

Re: Dishwashing traps? - 10/22/19 11:50 AM

I run mine through the DW. Like others have said, get them out quick and make sure your chains don’t hang up the spinners. I run another cycle after I’m done with soap to keep from getting busted for washing traps in the DW.
Posted By: Badgerman50

Re: Dishwashing traps? - 10/22/19 12:01 PM

I do it on new traps. It leaves rust marks all over the inside of the dishwasher. I also have a very easy going wife. Once she gets a new dishwasher that may change.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Dishwashing traps? - 10/22/19 01:10 PM

Every time I get new traps they go in the dish washer. I put the chain through the jaws. I wash with soap and seem to get along fine. Doesn’t bother management at all, she would probably put them in there for me if I asked. I think I married well
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Dishwashing traps? - 10/22/19 05:27 PM

New traps it works very well, just a we bit of Dawn and they're squeaky clean ready to wax. But don't do it with dirty waxed traps, my wife still reminds me of when I did that. But she got a new dishwasher out of that deal..
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Dishwashing traps? - 10/22/19 07:40 PM

Quality detergent, cycle on hot, tough scrub for new traps. Hook chains so they don’t hit spinners. Remove traps as soon as they’re finished.

Run empty dishwasher with soap again if it needs to be cleaned out.

I personally won’t degrease cables.

Be very careful using dawn in a dishwasher, unless you want to clean up a kitchen full of bubbles. Been there, done that as a kid. Maybe a drop works, but I will never try it again.

........or just take them to the car wash and save all sorts of potential problems
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Dishwashing traps? - 10/23/19 07:12 PM

Success! We ran some coilsprings, conibears, and cable restraints through the dish washer last night without a hitch! Ran the hot cycle with baking soda. Thanks for the help!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums