Posted By: henpecked1

WOLF VS COYOTE - 09/24/19 06:55 PM

This photo is from Mike Laughlin, photo is from Montana

[Linked Image]

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 09/24/19 06:57 PM

Mike Laughlin
January 2, 2012 · Fallon, NV
If anyone ever wondered the size difference between a Canadian wolf and a mature Montana coyote, take a look at this. This 2 1/2 year old collared male wolf and adult coyote were shot in a sheep pasture near Broadus ,Montana.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 09/24/19 07:15 PM

Another example of the difference:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: imissed

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 09/24/19 08:01 PM

shocked BIG difference!

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 09/24/19 08:04 PM

Great picture BCBOBCAT, thanks
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 09/24/19 08:49 PM

Cool pics, bctomcat, are your wolves greys or timbers?
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 09/24/19 09:26 PM

The gray and the timber wolf are the same species, those found in the forest are called timber wolves, but they are still a gray wolf.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 09/25/19 03:26 AM

I have seen a big coyote and a wolf or two in the same day you can tell the difference. Even from a long distance . The wolf's stride when it runs is what i look for. They are a big critter for sure.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 09/25/19 02:54 PM

Good examples.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 09/26/19 02:22 AM

Great example! I’d love to trap a wolf. Incredible animal
Posted By: tlguy

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 09/26/19 02:19 PM

Here are a couple pictures of live animals standing in almost exactly the same spot. Granted the wolf is a little bit closer to the camera, maybe by 2-3 feet.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: imissed

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 09/26/19 04:45 PM

WOLF, the ultimate trappers trophy!!

Especially for people like me that will never have a chance to trap one.

The people that can are so lucky!
Posted By: Osky

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 09/29/19 03:37 PM

Tried posting this once, here we go again. Any thoughts on which this is? You may have to expand, slightly left in the grass.
Osky

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Taximan

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 09/29/19 04:28 PM

I'm not sure,Osky.That one could go either way.At first glance,I thought wolf but would not want to bet.

This thread does a good job of pointing out that there just is no overlap in wolf/coyote body size,track size or stride length.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 09/29/19 05:22 PM

No wonder wolves can decimate elk herds.

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 09/29/19 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Taximan
I'm not sure,Osky.That one could go either way.At first glance,I thought wolf but would not want to bet.

This thread does a good job of pointing out that there just is no overlap in wolf/coyote body size,track size or stride length.

[Linked Image]

Wow, just wow! That puts it more in perspective! Now I see the need for a trap with a 9 inch jaw spread.

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/01/19 03:03 PM

Taximan I thought young wolf first as well. Looking more I still feel the same because the muzzle looks too blocky and not petite enough to be a coyote.
I could be wrong. The wolves for some reason in my area are finally thinning down and coyotes are reappearing. Very quiet they are, but they are back. It's interesting the only trail the two species seem to share is my main 2 mile drive. Maybe because there's less chance the wolves can jump the coyotes on such an open pathway?

Osky

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/01/19 03:07 PM

Someone above mentioned understanding the need for a 9" trap given the pad size of wolves. I saw a nice big female wolf firmly held in 1 3/4 coil spring years back. Not common for sure but like all animals some seem to fight a trap more than others.

Osky
Posted By: AJE

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/05/19 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Osky
Someone above mentioned understanding the need for a 9" trap given the pad size of wolves. I saw a nice big female wolf firmly held in 1 3/4 coil spring years back. Not common for sure but like all animals some seem to fight a trap more than others.

Osky

Around here a MB650 was a very common wolf trap. People have held them in 550s.
Posted By: red mt

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/05/19 02:34 PM

Every wolf I have caught has been in what people call a coyote / cat ,trap. But the trap 9 /times out 10 go in the truck for repairs later.
I think those heavy built traps just stand up better when you catch a wolf. And when you are getting 6 to 8 inches of snow every nite the jaw spread would be a help imo.
So I think Gary is saying he can see why 9s are used,,, not if you can catch one in a smaller trap.
Catching one in a smaller trap imo does not make you a better trapper. (EDIT )
As is the common belief anymore. It's about catching all of them that step in the pattern .

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/05/19 03:04 PM

Oh yeah i know a bridger #3 will hold and so will a mj-600. More than anything is how its anchored, just amazing how some of the trappers around me use for there anchoring. Lets hook a high dollar trap to a gopher drag. I have been able to help some out .

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/05/19 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by beartooth trapr
Oh yeah i know a bridger #3 will hold and so will a mj-600. More than anything is how its anchored, just amazing how some of the trappers around me use for there anchoring. Lets hook a high dollar trap to a gopher drag. I have been able to help some out .

Yep ^^^^^^^
On good drag and 10ft. Of chain brush ,,small trees make great shock springs lol.
Posted By: AJE

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/05/19 05:10 PM

Plenty of swivels help, too.

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/05/19 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by red mt
Every wolf I have caught has been in what people call a coyote / cat ,trap. But the trap 9 /times out 10 go in the truck for repairs later.
I think those heavy built traps just stand up better when you catch a wolf. And when you are getting 6 to 8 inches of snow every nite the jaw spread would be a help imo.
So I think Gary is saying he can see why 9s are used,,, not if you can catch one in a smaller trap.
Catching one in a smaller trap imo does not make you a better trapper. (EDIT )
As is the common belief anymore. It's about catching all of them that step in the pattern .

Exactly
smile

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/05/19 10:30 PM

I got Alaskan # 9 traps this year that I'm hoping and up on a wolf. Have 20 bridger # 5s for wolfs and to be honest would hate to see what a wolf would do to them. I have caught mt.lions in them and off the pan and dog go . They are a good beaver trap.

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/05/19 11:12 PM

I got Alaskan # 9 traps this year that I'm hoping and up on a wolf. Have 20 bridger # 5s for wolfs and to be honest would hate to see what a wolf would do to them. I have caught mt.lions in them and off the pan and dog go . They are a good beaver trap.

Chad I think those 5s are great beaver trap.
Those 9s for deep snow I believe they getter done I personally have not used them .
Personally I think a 8 inch trap with very few moving parts be good trap here in my country.
I do know fwps use a lpc 7 ez longspring inside jaw spread I am unsure ???
Posted By: bmccoyote

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/06/19 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by red mt

Chad I think those 5s are great beaver trap.
Those 9s for deep snow I believe they getter done I personally have not used them .
Personally I think a 8 inch trap with very few moving parts be good trap here in my country.
I do know fwps use a lpc 7 ez longspring inside jaw spread I am unsure ???

Ya'll need to check out Western Trapping Supplies. They're a trapping company in Australia and their traps are kind of based on Bridger's. They make a 5 like a Bridger that is DOGLESS!!
Posted By: rick olson

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/06/19 05:13 PM

Red the LPC #7 has a 6 7/8"jaw spread,for snow trapping I wouldn't want anything less than 6 7/8", for dirt trapping I would be fine with 6 3/8" or bigger.I've held 1 wolf in a MB 450,a few in MB 550,MB 650's,Bridger #3 full mod dogless,#5 Bridger Alaskan model,MB wolf 750,#4.5 Sleepy Creek LS and of course the Sterling MJ 600's.

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/06/19 05:38 PM

I believe they list the LPC 7 as 6 7/8",outside jaw spread.If memory serves,the one I have is 7 1/8",actual.Not sure about inside.

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/06/19 08:45 PM

Is their a difference in the preferred size from western to midwestern wolves? Reason I ask is aren't the western wolves larger than say the great lakes wolves?

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/06/19 11:44 PM

Lpc 7 ez has rubber jaws on it also so inside is pretty tight ,,,
Rick in snow trapping not for me if I was targeting wolves.
Lpc 8 if I was going to use longsprings .
But as I have stated caught in cat sets or coyote sets held them just fine hard on trap I might add.
To me it's all about how you glue them down on holding part.
Drag on 10 ft of chain or longer on a good hook ,hook up in the brush is like shock absorbers. Trap has 3 swivels in the chain and it is the closest to the trap and one swivel at the hook. Works for me on my drags. I see no reason for mid chain swivels on drag chain imo.
By the time they get wrapped up in the brush trees rock the 3 swivels at the trap chain closest to the critter is what is working for what I have observed. But then again I do not target wolves,,,

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/07/19 02:46 PM

Good information,Red.I assume you weld J hooks?

Gary,yes,there is a size difference in the wolves but not sure what trap differences are preferred if any.

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/07/19 03:41 PM

Taxi ,,,,on the trap yes, drag yes I do weld.
But do not weld anything on disposable stakes,,,,I make my own jhooks out of 30d nails. Seems to hold .

Re: WOLF VS COYOTE - 10/07/19 03:57 PM

Thanks Red.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums