Home

Coon bait question?

Posted By: Duckie1

Coon bait question? - 09/14/19 09:33 AM

Anybody using coon crack or coon collector? What were the results?

I did some test baiting this summer with sweet baits and fish oil soaked baits. The coon always focused on the sweet bait first and sometime the fish oil bait sat a few days before being eaten. Do coon like to eat fish oil or just like the smell? I'm wondering if the fish oil directly in my dp's as I have done in the past might turn off some coon. Any thoughts on this?
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Coon bait question? - 09/14/19 10:52 AM

Both work really well. I mainly use pcg baits and lures and never had anything bad to say about any of them. Save your self the mess and just use fish oil more as a trailing scent to get there noses above the dp they will dig into just about anything you have in there. Go to a tractor supply and get a 50 lb bag of fish pellets they love it. Fill your dp up put a dab of lure on top the dp then a trial shot of fish oil. Best thing to I have found with dps is to have them placed right in a coons nature path then all you really need is bait there going to run right into it no need to waste lure or trailing scents.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Coon bait question? - 09/14/19 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by The hammer
Both work really well. I mainly use pcg baits and lures and never had anything bad to say about any of them. Save your self the mess and just use fish oil more as a trailing scent to get there noses above the dp they will dig into just about anything you have in there. Go to a tractor supply and get a 50 lb bag of fish pellets they love it. Fill your dp up put a dab of lure on top the dp then a trial shot of fish oil. Best thing to I have found with dps is to have them placed right in a coons nature path then all you really need is bait there going to run right into it no need to waste lure or trailing scents.

Id have to disagree with the last sentence. Sometimes you really have to knock a coon between the eyes with scent on trails as they get one track minds at time, which is why we miss more coons than we care to admit with DPs.

I wish coon collector more in the winter and sweeter baits in the fall.

As for fish oil, I don't like it inside DPs. Fish oil depending on what you use can turn rancid quickly or is synthetic so it's extremely bitter. Especially shellfish oil.

I don't want anything bitter on lip or inside a DP.
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: Coon bait question? - 09/14/19 01:53 PM

More coons by using les bait in your DPs, just fill your DPs just above trigger, you are trying to catch them not feed them. Bait inside and lure out side on the ground.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Coon bait question? - 09/14/19 02:27 PM

Whatever bait u use in DPs it must taste good, I don't put any bait paste the trigger. Some synthetics have a very bitter taste, don't ask how I know LOL. Shellfish oil is synthetic, yuk..
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Coon bait question? - 09/17/19 05:38 AM

I’ve used Coon Crack over the last couple years and haven’t been impressed at all. I’ll bet it works in warmer states but I need something with more nose pull than Coon Crack seems to offer. I do like the Coon Collector and I’ve caught several coyotes on Federales bait. Now, having said all of this, I have my theories as why things work the way they do. And one of them is outdoor temperature: Twenty degree average night temperature deadens most sweet baits ! But liquid smoke (Coon Collector) is good several degrees colder than that and it continues to work
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Coon bait question? - 09/17/19 11:36 AM

I have never once used a trailing scent or lure on a dp. Having said that I use a dry bait that has a smoky smell and flavor. Nothing wrong with a little bit outside the tube either. LLL
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Coon bait question? - 09/18/19 11:16 AM

I did some test baiting this summer with sweet baits and fish oil soaked baits.The coon always focused on the sweet bait first and sometime the fish oil bait sat a few days before being eaten.

Time of year will impact your results and that is why a bait or lure with "variety" is important. I know it is when I'm out trapping them. The longer my traps stay on the ground the more $ I lose.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Coon bait question? - 09/22/19 04:48 PM

Cheap dollar store Bacon Bits mixed with any in DP trap bait homemade or bought, use sparingly the smell is what your after. This works very well for mid Michigan coons, a marshmallow half speared on the trigger for feel gets my coon. Farmers coop molasses thinned with water as a trail scent, jack mac or sardine juice in cooler temps.
Posted By: #11

Re: Coon bait question? - 09/22/19 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by LLtrapper
I have never once used a trailing scent or lure on a dp. Having said that I use a dry bait that has a smoky smell and flavor. Nothing wrong with a little bit outside the tube either. LLL

Listen to this man, he has caught THOUSANDS of coon, he is sharing his knowledge with you.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums