Home

waxing clumpy finish

Posted By: plainstrapping25

waxing clumpy finish - 07/21/19 03:25 AM

Was working on another batch and noticed it was very clumpy. It is sandy soil that is sifted very fine. However as clumpy as it was not all the wax beads melted. It did have that wet\glazed look to it. Never waxed soil that was this sandy before and was wondering if sand required less wax or it that got clumpy like that regardless? Like I said not all the wax melted.
Posted By: red mt

Re: waxing clumpy finish - 07/21/19 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by plainstrapping25
Was working on another batch and noticed it was very clumpy. It is sandy soil that is sifted very fine. However as clumpy as it was not all the wax beads melted. It did have that wet\glazed look to it. Never waxed soil that was this sandy before and was wondering if sand required less wax or it that got clumpy like that regardless? Like I said not all the wax melted.

Keep stirring or mixing until cooler

Re: waxing clumpy finish - 07/21/19 04:10 AM

Ok. So I would assume than it got clumpy like that cause the ratio of wax may have been too high.

Re: waxing clumpy finish - 07/21/19 04:47 AM

I do not know ,,,all it has look is damp not wet.
But if its clumpy and using a mixer stick back in mixer add more material minus the wax add heat until to the right ratio.

Re: waxing clumpy finish - 07/21/19 04:48 AM

I use dirt my ratio is 15 gallons of dirt to 10 lbs of wax

Re: waxing clumpy finish - 07/21/19 05:10 AM

I normally use dirt too. But one of the place I trap is sandy. Seems to me anyway. Less wax for sand
Posted By: LDW

Re: waxing clumpy finish - 07/21/19 12:08 PM

Sand takes much less wax. How much did you use? Did you use a mixer or solar? If using a mixer, you need to stir warm mixture until cool. It will clump up otherwise. Are the clumps wax or sand mix?
Posted By: cfowler

Re: waxing clumpy finish - 07/21/19 04:17 PM

My waxed sand will form little clumps if too much wax is used. I generally just pull out those clumps and add it to the next batch. The clumps disappear then.

Re: waxing clumpy finish - 07/21/19 06:08 PM

I use the solar method. I mixed it the same ratio as I mix dirt. 20 gallons sand to 10 lbs wax. I smashed up most of the clumps. But still see some wax beads here and there. Probably saved it from turning to a solid brick
Posted By: Bristleback

Re: waxing clumpy finish - 07/22/19 03:18 AM

Tough to be certain without seeing it. Sand requires much less wax. You’ll want to rake trough your WS as it cools, this will help reduce clumping. Sounds like you’re seeing some wax that has not melted?? If that’s the case THAT portion of your batch didn’t get warm enough, in my opinion.
Be sure to water test your batch until you’re confident of your wax ratio.
Often times I’ve used a fan running across my finished batches to speed up cooling along with moving it with a rake.

Re: waxing clumpy finish - 07/22/19 03:52 AM

It does not absorbe water. I tested it. First time using sand. Wonder if it's half the wax needed for dirt.
Posted By: bwhntr100

Re: waxing clumpy finish - 07/22/19 12:46 PM

You’re using too much wax. I use 1 1/2 lbs wax per 5 gallons of sand. Just put it back in the mixer and add sand and heat it up.
Posted By: LDW

Re: waxing clumpy finish - 07/23/19 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by bwhntr100
You’re using too much wax. I use 1 1/2 lbs wax per 5 gallons of sand. Just put it back in the mixer and add sand and heat it up.

^^^^^X2
© 2024 Trapperman Forums