Home

Got first beaver today!!

Posted By: chris-al

Got first beaver today!! - 02/03/19 03:31 PM

hey all, got my first beaver!! it was 48lbs

skinning was a chore with the tools I have. I have a great respect for the old timers, what a challenge!

I'm sure it will get easier in time, but it's clear that my skinning tools are lacking.

any recommendations on skinning tool types and brands?

been watching lots of videos, some better than others, but interested in some advice about tools from ya'll

thanks!
Posted By: 080808

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/03/19 03:39 PM

Spend the $$$$ for quality. You will regret going cheap as you get more into a great sport.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/03/19 07:48 PM

I have a Dexter, round point beaver knife. It holds an edge extremely well and I’m glad my wife got it for me for Christmas 25 years ago
Posted By: Boco

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/03/19 09:06 PM

All you need to put up beaver is a sharp knife and some good stones to keep it razor sharp for clean skinning.
Plywood with the size lines marked on and a light tack hammer and sharp nails for forming.
Then a one hand scraper to shine up the skin after boarding

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/03/19 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
All you need to put up beaver is a sharp knife and some good stones to keep it razor sharp for clean skinning.
Plywood with the size lines marked on and a light tack hammer and sharp nails for forming.

excellent thanks...

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/03/19 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Teacher
I have a Dexter, round point beaver knife. It holds an edge extremely well and I’m glad my wife got it for me for Christmas 25 years ago

25 years! that's saying something!

thanks
Posted By: SwampRat83

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/03/19 10:31 PM

Congrats. Ive always enjoyed trapping beaver, and any water critter for that matter.

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/03/19 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by SwampRat83
Congrats. Ive always enjoyed trapping beaver, and any water critter for that matter.

thanks

i was pumped, but was doubting my sets (they were out 2 days) second guessing myself.. then success... good feeling
Posted By: SwampRat83

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/03/19 10:43 PM

Sometimes a smart beaver can take a few days to catch, never give up and keep having fun.
Posted By: KB64

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/03/19 11:42 PM

Congratulations. 330 or ?
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/03/19 11:44 PM

If you want an economical knife that will hold a decent edge, get a Green River. Evidently, the Dexter knives were better back in the day than they are now. My Green River holds a way better edge than my Dexter. A good butchers steel is all you need to maintain your blade.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/04/19 12:37 AM

Congrats to the OP on his catch. That's great.

Boco...are you using a fleshing beam, fleshing over your knee or fleshing on the board? Beaver peeler type knife?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/04/19 02:10 AM

Clean skin Posco.Used to put up a lot of beaver at the camp.Got to keep it simple.

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/04/19 02:16 AM

Clean skin Posco.Used to put up a lot of beaver at the camp.Got to keep it simple.

Thanks for the reply. I've got a couple frozen I'll be getting to in the next few days. Tried to put in some sets today but the sixteen inch bar on the chainsaw wouldn't punch all the way through the ice. Going back in tomorrow with a twenty-four inch bar and put in a couple footholds on poles.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/04/19 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by chris-al

25 years! that's saying something!

thanks

I have worn out several of those, but I use the 5" curved skinner, with a slight point , not round nosed, the Russel Green River nowadays, and it's a much better piece of steel, and holds an edge better.

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/04/19 01:39 PM

Yes a
Originally Posted by KB64
Congratulations. 330 or ?

Yes a 330 on a slide... I need to get better at limiting non target animals (1coon, 1 otter), but pleased nonetheless..

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/04/19 01:44 PM

I don't understand this response.. what type of flesher? Or??

Posted By: mauser06

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/04/19 02:24 PM

I'm no beaver expert but there is 2 methods of skinning beaver. "clean skinning" seems to take a little longer but requires little fleshing. Regular skinning seems faster but requires a lot of fleshing...

I've never done a beaver...just watched videos and such...
Posted By: greggsinthehouse

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/08/19 10:31 PM

Good Job. Good eatin right there!
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/09/19 01:43 AM

Hey chris-al... nobody likes a showoff!! LOL!
Nice work my man! Yep they are a blast to chase around. Just keep at it - you'll learn and do fine.
I'd never caught any until last year and gave it a try - I'm hooked. Water trapping is a blast! (Except when it rains a lot and the creeks come up 2 or 3 feet!!)

Good on ya'!!
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/09/19 05:31 PM

Way to go know your hooked.

Get a regular old box cutter and buy those hooked carpet blades for It. You use that for opening the beaver and ringing the tail. If you have a limb lopper use that for taking off the legs. If not just saw them off or ring them and twist them off. But don't use your skinning knife for that purpose. Blade on bone will get that knife dull In a hurry.

Have you ever fleshed any other type animal? if so that's the route I would take. A first time attempt at clean skinning Is going to test you big time.
Posted By: greggsinthehouse

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/11/19 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav

Get a regular old box cutter and buy those hooked carpet blades for It. You use that for opening the beaver and ringing the tail. If you have a limb lopper use that for taking off the legs. If not just saw them off or ring them and twist them off. But don't use your skinning knife for that purpose. Blade on bone will get that knife dull In a hurry.

THIS!!!!

I wished I would have learned this sooner. It's a GREAT TIP. Thanks for mentioning this Beav.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/11/19 07:25 PM

Got the same one. Bought it about 35 years ago and wouldn't be without it. Worth every penny!

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/11/19 08:01 PM

it was clear from the start the knives were lacking... i did use a boxcutter to open it up, ring the feet and tail. I used garden cutters to take the feet off.. and then the regular knife to skin. it came off, but it had way too much flesh on it... i got off what i could, and rolled and froze it.. I have another beaver yet to skin, so I'm gonna get better knives and go again.

In the mean time I've started checking out the other areas on the creek and have found 2 more lodges, both look active (new mud/sticks on the roofs).. so i have at least 2 more animals i can get. Ill get plenty of practice... :-)

Thanks everyone...

Chris
Posted By: concrete man

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/11/19 08:20 PM

You will get faster it really won't get easier but they are easy to cacth.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/11/19 09:28 PM

You might want to fold those pelts before freezing, they'll thaw out quicker when taken out of the freezer.

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/11/19 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by 3togo
You might want to fold those pelts before freezing, they'll thaw out quicker when taken out of the freezer.

good tip thanks...

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/11/19 11:25 PM

it was clear from the start the knives were lacking... i did use a boxcutter to open it up, ring the feet and tail. I used garden cutters to take the feet off.. and then the regular knife to skin. it came off, but it had way too much flesh on it... i got off what i could, and rolled and froze it.. I have another beaver yet to skin, so I'm gonna get better knives and go again.

In the mean time I've started checking out the other areas on the creek and have found 2 more lodges, both look active (new mud/sticks on the roofs).. so i have at least 2 more animals i can get. Ill get plenty of practice... :-)

Thanks everyone...

Chris

Something like this, Chris. Ain't beaver trappin' fun! I love it.
[Linked Image]

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/12/19 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Posco

Thanks everyone...

Chris

Something like this, Chris. Ain't beaver trappin' fun! I love it.
[Linked Image]

that's exactly what i got...

Re: Got first beaver today!! - 02/12/19 04:20 PM

that's exactly what i got...

Do you like it? I think these are based on the old I. Wilson knives that came over from England during the fur trade. If you want to get connected to our trapping past, go on eBay, snag one of those vintage knives and put it back to use.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums