Home

When is fur prime.

Posted By: TyC

When is fur prime. - 01/27/19 06:44 PM

I’m trapping in Wyoming and have a pretty good idea on cats, coyotes, rats and beaver in terms of prime but am having a hard time finding any information on coon prime time for my area. Any ideas for how to find when coons go out of prime . Or am I going to have to base that on the coons I catch ? I’m considering running a coon line in March after bobcat season. Is this too late ?
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: When is fur prime. - 01/27/19 07:10 PM

I don't know for sure but I'm thinking March will be too late for Raccoon. At least it is in the upper Midwest. With the coon market in the dumpster, I wouldn't bother running a line, unless you have problem coon that folks want you to get rid of.

Re: When is fur prime. - 01/27/19 08:37 PM

When do you typically stop trapping coon in the upper Midwest ?
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: When is fur prime. - 01/27/19 10:14 PM

Here I always figured the stretch from Thanksgiving to Christmas is the best time to trap for fur quality on non-water animals. Coons here a usually denned up by Thanksgiving but sometimes still catch a few of the bigger boars.

Re: When is fur prime. - 01/28/19 12:17 AM

That makes sense thanks for the replies
Posted By: mauser06

Re: When is fur prime. - 01/28/19 01:48 AM

I'd agree with that time frame in Pennsylvania.... really weather dependent. If it stays mild and no snow and no serious denning, you can find nice fur later.

Once winter sets in they den which causes rubbing and staining.

The issues with late coon seem to show in the area between the front shoulders.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: When is fur prime. - 01/28/19 02:41 AM

Casper = Thanksgiving
Posted By: Wanbli

Re: When is fur prime. - 01/28/19 04:38 AM

I agree with what others have said, spring trapping would probably be a waste. I've trapped coons after the spring thaw here in NW South Dakota and they were bad. Rutting boars are fighting and they're shedding out already. I generally only trap them if it's a matter of helping out a rancher. I've had much better coon fur in last week October through freeze up in early to mid-December.
FWIW, Andy
Posted By: danvee

Re: When is fur prime. - 01/28/19 04:22 PM

In the Laramie area Nov 15th until about Christmas after that too cold and in Feb or March no value they are springy.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums