Home

330 in culvert pipe

Posted By: Kel

330 in culvert pipe - 12/24/18 02:13 AM

Got any pictures. Trap has to be submerged. First time beaver trapping.
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: 330 in culvert pipe - 12/24/18 02:23 AM

Use a dive stick on top of your 330

Re: 330 in culvert pipe - 12/24/18 02:45 AM

Trigger on top or bottom?

Re: 330 in culvert pipe - 12/24/18 03:16 AM

Or would a snare be the best?
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: 330 in culvert pipe - 12/24/18 04:00 AM

Trigger on the bottom. How much water is going through the culvert.
Posted By: AR Swampboss

Re: 330 in culvert pipe - 12/24/18 05:38 AM

If they are just passing thru - 330 good.
If they are damming it up - 330 bad on the front side , but may be good on the downstream side
Snare might work if there is very little to no current
Posted By: strike2x

Re: 330 in culvert pipe - 12/24/18 12:04 PM

Some times to get the trap submerged you have to set just past the end of the clvert in the hole the flow has made. I was going to set on today so I will get some pictures if I make it out. Mine will be for otter but same concept.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: 330 in culvert pipe - 12/24/18 02:15 PM

Depending on the size of the culvert this can be a good set. Set the 330 on the bottom with dive sticks out in front. Beaver will dive and follow the bottom right into your waiting trap. Good luck!
Posted By: The Beav

Re: 330 in culvert pipe - 12/24/18 03:24 PM

If It were me I'd go up steam or down stream of the culvert and catch them before they get there. Might be a better choice
with more options.

Re: 330 in culvert pipe - 12/24/18 09:33 PM

The culvert is in a backwaters 100 yards from main river. Culvert is probably 36 inch round with 24 inch of water. There is some current with dropping water. I can also see some trails up a steep bank fresh willow cutting. I thought maybe the culvert would be best set and maybe get an otter
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: 330 in culvert pipe - 12/24/18 09:55 PM

perfect place for a KB stabilizer
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: 330 in culvert pipe - 12/26/18 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by traprjohn

Might be the best answer, IMO.

Although, making other sets in the area, as The Beav points out, is great advice !

That said, I have a piece of culvert pipe ( 4 ft long ) with the sides notched out for the springs.
I insert it into the main culvert pipe, forcing the beaver through it.

I use the largest trap possible, such as a Belisle 440 mag or a 550 Savauge. 660, those work too.
Since the notches are cut dead center, it places the trap, dead center and OFF the bottom, allowing (most) turtles to pass through, where a trap set on the bottom will catch them.

Don't let anyone tell you that a culvert in a lake or major body of water isn't a top notch location to trap beaver.
IT is and at times beaver will even live in them.
I've caught a lot of beaver in culverts in about every type of trap you can think of.
A foot hold set dead center on the bottom, will take a lot of beaver if the water is less than a foot..

The Comstock swim trap is another fine choice.
If I told you how many beaver I have taken on nuisance jobs using that simple trick, you may just ask me again ! wink
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: 330 in culvert pipe - 12/28/18 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn

x2 make sure to wire it the trap. Don't want to lose it. Sarge
© 2024 Trapperman Forums