Home

Tips for fleshing opossum ?

Posted By: kyron4

Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/15/18 04:57 AM

I usually sell opossums green, but thought I try to put a few up this year. I fleshed a big old 14 lbs grinner using the dull side of the knife and the leather was white and clean when I was done. I turned it fur side out and a hand full of fur fell out . Well there goes $1 down the drain. Big bald spot on the back and between the front legs where the yellow patch is located. I didn't feel like I was over fleshing, did it just like my coons. Any pointers from the grinner experts ? -Thanks
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/15/18 05:57 AM

Fleshing possums requires a gentle touch. If you treat a possum like you do a raccoon, you are asking for trouble.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/15/18 10:12 AM

Think more finesse than firmness. Gently push the fat and membrane off and not aggressively like you can on a coon or other.
Possum are very thin skinned and tear easily. Push down too hard and you RIP the roots off the hair so it falls out.
Jim
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/15/18 10:36 AM

I use a sleeve from an old sweatshirt on the beam when fleshing grinners. Just gives a little more cushion so less hair falls out.
Turn that Grinner into leather, it is very soft and makes a great liner for a possibles bag
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/15/18 10:38 AM

towel on the beam,well chilled hide,don't do them after coon.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/15/18 10:55 AM

Is anyone even buying them this year?
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/15/18 11:00 AM

tanners
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/15/18 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by strike2x

I think possum and skunk are the easiest animals to sell after they have been tanned. Everybody recognizes a possum and a skunk. People don’t realize how soft possum hair is until they actually get to feel it.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/15/18 01:43 PM

And if you set up a table at an event to expose folks to fur and trapping, skunk and possum pelts get lots of attention. Folks really have no clue how soft possum fur is.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/15/18 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: tjm

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/15/18 03:50 PM

Don't do them after coon.
Don't do them after coon.
I have used a wooden scraper on possums- just a square edged 1x2 oak.
The skin is about as soft as the fur.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/16/18 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Originally Posted by pcr2

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^ Double This ^^^^^
They can have lots of fat, but it comes off easily.
Watch the belly side - you could tear a hole before you know it.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/16/18 01:28 AM

I've never skinned a possum and hope I never have to. However, I heard somewhere once of fleshing them with a piece of piano wire or I guess steel guitar string would work just as well, fastened to two wooden handles. I have no idea if that would work, that's just what I heard once.
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/16/18 06:02 AM

Some possums the fur will fall out and there is nothing you can do. They are worthless ones so sweat it. If the leather looks OK when you're done fleshing then you likely didn't do anything wrong.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/16/18 06:07 AM

A possum was the first thing I ever fleshed. Dad told me when I mastered fleshing a possum correctly, I could flesh anything well.
Posted By: cutmjack

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/16/18 02:55 PM

Ditto what Paul said. I actually practiced on a few possums when I started finishing fur and they're perfect for learning the touch and feel of a knife. If you can do possum, you're on your way.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/17/18 02:25 AM

I can tell you Guy Groenwold said dont bring them to the truck in any form. They are not buying any possum this year.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/17/18 04:32 AM

If not, the wife is getting a new fur coat. lol
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/17/18 12:01 PM

Stopped keeping them years ago but my old man showed me a trick when I was young. Don't put them over your beam like normal hook the nose at the top of the beam and let the hide lay flat against your beam this way you get a lot cushion for the side your fleshing. Use a butter knife yes sounds crazy but works very well. If I had one I'd photo the steps and the finish result.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/17/18 01:58 PM

I know guys that do all their fur that way.
Posted By: Dead Coyote

Re: Tips for fleshing opossum ? - 12/17/18 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by The hammer
Stopped keeping them years ago but my old man showed me a trick when I was young. Don't put them over your beam like normal hook the nose at the top of the beam and let the hide lay flat against your beam this way you get a lot cushion for the side your fleshing. Use a butter knife yes sounds crazy but works very well. If I had one I'd photo the steps and the finish result.

Or put them on a beam with a towel between them and the beam. Only scrape once or twice is the limit.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums