Home

How to dull snares without boiling?

Posted By: Kelpy

How to dull snares without boiling? - 10/29/18 09:31 PM

I want to avoid boiling this year for two reasons. One is cable life and two is that I find it stiffens the cable and slows them down.

So, I know many of you just leave the cable outside to full but that takes a long time and I only set mine out 2 months ago. Is there anything I can do to dull them up in the next couple weeks? Maybe wash in cold water with dish soap and then hang outside?

Thoughts? Ideas?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: How to dull snares without boiling? - 10/29/18 10:01 PM

Can always spray paint them. Dont have to completely cover the cable, tiger stripe with 2 or three different colors is all thats needed
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: How to dull snares without boiling? - 10/29/18 11:18 PM

I agree with these two ^^^

A lite dusting of camo spray paint.
Posted By: 316

Re: How to dull snares without boiling? - 10/30/18 12:05 AM

Dip in Formula 1. Visit Newts web site he developed it for snares and it works as advertised.
Posted By: Kelpy

Re: How to dull snares without boiling? - 10/30/18 12:22 AM

I tried F-1 a year ago and all it did was gum up the cam lock and slow them way down. Maybe I did it wrong??? I even thinned it way down with water. Maybe I should have slid the lock to the end and dipped all the cable except the lock... I might have to try again this year.

I also experimented with spray paint this year but thought it slowed them way down as well. The only luck I had was to spray them and then dip with FMJ over the top. This was my plan this year but the cable is still shiny and shows if I don’t spray a heavy coat of paint on them.

Maybe I should just settle for slow snares???
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: How to dull snares without boiling? - 10/30/18 12:37 AM

My snares are painted or dipped in F1 and they are very fast. You just need a VERY VERY VERY thin coat of paint or F1. It doesn't matter if the snares are not completely coated, they won't shine in the dark.
Posted By: H380

Re: How to dull snares without boiling? - 10/30/18 01:36 AM

I find that without degreasing { I use the dishwasher } to get the oil off that paint doesnt stick well to the cable ..Just a light coat of paint after that and all is well .
Posted By: Audie

Re: How to dull snares without boiling? - 10/31/18 02:13 PM

I soak mine in baking soda and water for a day or so. It seems to take the sheen off.
Posted By: Hobbs

Re: How to dull snares without boiling? - 10/31/18 07:05 PM

On this subject. If a person paints their snares, how long before the scent dissipates.
Posted By: scalloper

Re: How to dull snares without boiling? - 11/01/18 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Hobbs
On this subject. If a person paints their snares, how long before the scent dissipates.

OGorman recommends painting with Crylon paint
Posted By: kyron4

Re: How to dull snares without boiling? - 11/01/18 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Hobbs

I give mine a light dusting of kaki spray paint and have set and caught fur a week later. I had a trail cam video where I painted a fence post then pile chucks of meats around and the yotes ate up the meat with no mind of fresh paint.
Posted By: Dustin_Drews

Re: How to dull snares without boiling? - 11/02/18 04:03 PM

I run my snares threw the dishwasher. I then put them in the oven on low heat to dry them out really well and to warm them up. While they are warming up I bring some water to a boil in a good sized pot on the stove. I put my cans of spray paint I in the boiling water to get the paint nice and warm.
I let the snares get pretty warm in the oven hot enough I can’t touch em..... When both the snares and paint are warm I take them out side and paint them ASAP. Doing it ASAP with a warm bundle of snares makes the paint almost instantly dry to the snare.
Doing it this way is fast. You can handle the freashly painted snares almost instantaneously after your done spraying them. The heat also gases off the paint smell. No hanging them out do get the smell off. Also no sticky paint on the snares.
Use some brains.... Don’t forget your paint boiling on the stove!
This is the only way I could figure out how to camo snares in a hurry without smell or soft paint.

God bless

Dustin
Posted By: Hobbs

Re: How to dull snares without boiling? - 11/02/18 07:59 PM

Thanks everyone!
Posted By: dmr400

Re: How to dull snares without boiling? - 11/02/18 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Dustin_Drews
I run my snares threw the dishwasher. I then put them in the oven on low heat to dry them out really well and to warm them up. While they are warming up I bring some water to a boil in a good sized pot on the stove. I put my cans of spray paint I in the boiling water to get the paint nice and warm.
I let the snares get pretty warm in the oven hot enough I can’t touch em..... When both the snares and paint are warm I take them out side and paint them ASAP. Doing it ASAP with a warm bundle of snares makes the paint almost instantly dry to the snare.
Doing it this way is fast. You can handle the freashly painted snares almost instantaneously after your done spraying them. The heat also gases off the paint smell. No hanging them out do get the smell off. Also no sticky paint on the snares.
Use some brains.... Don’t forget your paint boiling on the stove!
This is the only way I could figure out how to camo snares in a hurry without smell or soft paint.

God bless

Dustin

That is using your thinker for something other than a place to hang your hat.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: How to dull snares without boiling? - 11/02/18 11:34 PM

I spray paint them 2 colors, in the summer, with plenty of time for the smell to dissipate.
Posted By: H380

Re: How to dull snares without boiling? - 11/03/18 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: traprjohn
I spray paint them 2 colors, in the summer, with plenty of time for the smell to dissipate.
I do the same as you then store them coiled up in clean one gallon coffee cans with a lid . I put in some sage and leaves from the area where they will be placed later and it seems to cover some scent as well .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums