Home

Beaver snares

Posted By: AJE

Beaver snares - 10/22/18 03:12 AM

Is it a common problem for beaver snares to become non-functional because of grass or other small debris flowing downstream and disabling the snare?
Posted By: MINK I LOVE

Re: Beaver snares - 10/22/18 03:37 AM

Never have any issues unless we get a BIG Rain.
Posted By: AR Swampboss

Re: Beaver snares - 10/22/18 06:17 PM

Yes but it depends on the stream
When leaves are falling it can be bad
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Beaver snares - 10/22/18 06:39 PM

If I did, I wasn't going to catch anything that night anyways as the snare would be completely out of position.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Beaver snares - 10/23/18 01:50 AM

Not if you set them on the land outside the water. smile
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Beaver snares - 10/23/18 02:06 AM

There is that lol. It is where I prefer my beaver snares but sometimes laws or circumstances force you into the water. Then again some of my dry beaver snares have been know to be under 10 feet of water during the right time of year...which is most of the Ohio beaver season.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Beaver snares - 10/23/18 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: AJE
Is it a common problem for beaver snares to become non-functional because of grass or other small debris flowing downstream and disabling the snare?

Sometimes i go up stream about 7-10' from the snare and push a thumb wize stick into the stream bed leaving about 6" sticking up out of the water. Helps catch/divert some of the junk
Posted By: Red89

Re: Beaver snares - 10/24/18 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: the Blak Spot
Originally Posted By: AJE

Sometimes i go up stream about 7-10' from the snare and push a thumb wize stick into the stream bed leaving about 6" sticking up out of the water. Helps catch/divert some of the junk

Clever. Do you just keep the snare inside the "V" this creates in the water?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Beaver snares - 10/24/18 01:54 AM

Here,springtime after ice out is the worst for fouling any kind of set in current.Lots of loose dead grass and sticks floating in the high water.Even totally submerged setsin current are prone to fouling in spring.In the fall its not a problem.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Beaver snares - 10/24/18 11:50 AM

Red89, yes. I set the snare then place the stick. It doesnt keep all the debris out, but it helps a lot.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Beaver snares - 10/27/18 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: the Blak Spot
Red89, yes. I set the snare then place the stick. It doesnt keep all the debris out, but it helps a lot.
I kinda like that idea.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Beaver snares - 10/28/18 12:54 PM

Take 4-5 sticks and make a diverting wall just upstream of your snare. Push into the bottom and angle with the current to divert garbage and ice chunks around set snare. I see no need to go 7-10 feet upstream, but whatever works.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Beaver snares - 10/28/18 04:51 PM

I do the same thing with conis a pile of rocks a few feet in front of coni diverts most floating crap that clings to triggers
© 2024 Trapperman Forums