Home

Otter travels

Posted By: huntmd94

Otter travels - 03/02/18 01:24 AM

How long, on average does it take otter to return? Found 2 large toilets on a beaver pond back when the ice was still on. Found fresh scat there again 3 weeks ago. Set conibears on the crossovers and every pinch point I can find over 2 weeks ago.Granted this is on a smaller stream at least 5 miles up stream from a larger river system.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Otter travels - 03/02/18 02:05 AM

It's probably due back soon unless someone else has caught it.
Posted By: Redsleeves

Re: Otter travels - 03/02/18 02:10 AM

From my experience eny day know if it's been 2 weeks! I've noticed they move harder when the water is up or it's storming or a storm coming! Takes longer between trips when it's clear calm weather and or the water is at normal pool.

Re: Otter travels - 03/02/18 02:32 AM

Thinking its a family group that came through. 2 large toilets with over 30 piles of scat , a smaller one with 10 or 15 and numerous smaller ones with 4 or 5. Also found a half dozen large channel cat heads scattered around. Keep telling myself any day now.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Otter travels - 03/02/18 05:09 AM

Make sure you post some pictures when you get them
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Otter travels - 03/02/18 03:34 PM

on otts its hard to tell they have the attention span of a one year old! Around my area its around a 7-10 day rotation
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Otter travels - 03/03/18 02:19 AM

Here I have found an average of about 7 day return. Hopefully things here don't freeze up in that time.

Re: Otter travels - 03/03/18 11:45 PM

When I first found it a month ago, there were tracks everywhere crisscrossing the ice and numerous toilets. Since ice out I have caught all the beaver out of the pond and a storm washed a hole in the dam lowering the water level about 4 feet. I have conibears in most of the beaver channels and about half of the lodge entrances and old bank dens. Haven't seen any otter sign since the water level dropped.On the lower side of the dam is a 5 acre fishing lake.We have a little under 2 weeks of season left.Crossing my fingers and hoping they return in time.
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Otter travels - 03/04/18 01:31 AM

Patience is key with those jokers smile I found a pinch point and set it Nov 15 finally connected Feb 4. Granted I probably don't have the density you do, but they will come back.
Posted By: The North

Re: Otter travels - 03/04/18 03:14 AM

I would say that otter is one of those animals you set on anticipated paths of travel and not existing tracks due to there huge home range or massive travel distances. but then again I might be wrong!
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Otter travels - 03/04/18 02:10 PM

Food source may have changed. Otters may not be back for a while.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Otter travels - 03/04/18 02:43 PM

The breeding season will throw a wrench Into any normal travel pattern. Well when It comes to the males.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Otter travels - 03/04/18 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: The Beav
The breeding season will throw a wrench Into any normal travel pattern. Well when It comes to the males.
When does mating season typically start and end?

Re: Otter travels - 03/04/18 06:58 PM

Seeing otter tracks every day on the river a few miles away. If it quits fluctuating so much I will move some of them down there.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Otter travels - 03/06/18 02:28 AM

Set footholds on drowner wires on the protruding points of islands. The ones pointing down stream work best. Make a castor mound set but add torepedo instead of castor works surprisingly well!

Re: Otter travels - 03/12/18 08:48 PM

Moved half my conibears a few miles away to the river over the weekend.Caught one yesterday and one today.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums