Home

Biggest Coyote Catch

Posted By: LDW

Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 10:28 AM

After reading the highest mink catch thread, I'm curious about the big numbers coyote men. What are some of the largest yearly totals? I have heard of catches over 400 a year.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 11:10 AM

My best ever was forty four, and I worked darn hard to hit that. I can't imagine 400.
Jim
Posted By: longbow31

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 11:14 AM

Marty Senneker caught over 950

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 11:41 AM

I can't imagine the dedication and endurance it would take to put up numbers like that. A lot of variables go into catches like that. You would have to have the population of coyotes, as well as the thousands of acres it would take to support them.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 12:22 PM

AND....have a coyote that brings those high prices. But you are right lots of work involved.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 01:09 PM

It is one thing to catch alot,it is another to skin. Yet another to catch,skin and put up like Bob does.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: wr otis
That Bob guy probably catches more in footholds, faster than 99% of other trappers. There may be guys catching more than him, but not many.

Difference is Bob does in four weeks what other guys do in three months. It's a shame you still can't use a guys last name on here.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 02:24 PM

Very true WR.

The guys that catch those big numbers are dedicated to what they do. But a lot of them trap these huge feed lots and In some cases there Is no shortage of coyotes.
I know a guy who caught 90 coyotes off of 1 feed lot. You need a large population of coyotes to do those numbers.

There was a picture of what's his name where you can see 12 coyotes In that picture.

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 02:30 PM

I've followed him for a while now, and yes there's plenty of feedlots in Kansas. However, I have no doubt that he'd do just as well in an open pasture, or up there next to you. I don't need to defend the man, but he's also talked about how he's told he only catches those numbers due to feedlots, and he pretty much has dispelled that. He also has lead the total Kansas cat catch for the seasons in his four weeks there (while other guys run the whole season) Kansas has an excellent biologist that does a great job following the cat catches.

The other thing I've found I like about Bob is he gives out free advice, and everything he's ever given me has turned out true. He's probably the first person that helped me see through the smoke and mirrors. He's got nothing to sell, and no one to impress. He's just a doer.
Posted By: nathan mclain

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 02:44 PM

I put everything i had in to catching 48 in a little over a month last year
Couldn't imagine catching 950 that insane
Posted By: Saskayote

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 02:57 PM

A few things.

You do not need access to much land if you are running baits. Ten or twelve catches a bait station, 10 stations, equals 100 yotes. put a bait station every few miles. Couple hundred square feet per station, draw in yotes from a couple sections of land.

Snare. Catching yotes in snares is child’s play. Re fast to set up a dozen snares, compared to a dozen traps.

Only thing holding me back from going harder up here, is the cost of rams...

I plan to use this years yote income solely to buy more snares for next year. 20 dozen is the plan.

24 bait stations, ten snares at each, should yield a couple hundred yotes.

All sounds so easy. Lol. It is, really, if you got good yotes and nothing else to do! Until you thaw them out, and start skinning 200 when spring comes! Lol
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 03:49 PM

Amazing numbers! I had a personal goal of 5 yotes and have caught 6 so far. I'm ecstatic about surpassing my goal. I can't imagine catching 50, let alone HUNDREDS! Then again, I've never set a snare/cable restraint.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 03:49 PM

Quote:
Marty Senneker caught over 950

Does that include ADC work. Does Marty put up his own fur. Either way he is a h#ll of a trapper. Can't deny that.
Posted By: Pasadena

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 04:06 PM

Do you all remember when Andy decided to go after coyotes and the numbers he did? It is the go gettem attitude and knowledge of the animal your after that dictates the numbers one will catch.

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 05:15 PM

Trying to figure out who this Bob guy is. Any more hints? If you can give Marty's last name, why not Bob's?

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: WadeRyan
I've followed him for a while now, and yes there's plenty of feedlots in Kansas. However, I have no doubt that he'd do just as well in an open pasture, or up there next to you. I don't need to defend the man, but he's also talked about how he's told he only catches those numbers due to feedlots, and he pretty much has dispelled that. He also has lead the total Kansas cat catch for the seasons in his four weeks there (while other guys run the whole season) Kansas has an excellent biologist that does a great job following the cat catches.

The other thing I've found I like about Bob is he gives out free advice, and everything he's ever given me has turned out true. He's probably the first person that helped me see through the smoke and mirrors. He's got nothing to sell, and no one to impress. He's just a doer.

He wouldn't do as good here because we don't have a lot of coyotes. You need a huge coyote population to catch big numbers.

Bob and I go back at least 30 years. I took instruction from him
when I was just a young buck.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 05:58 PM

Pud long in the 40s caught according to the paper back then 1000 something coyotes not counting other stuff in Oregon. I would say use what he had to use he was a trapper .
And there others of that era and now that are good.
Posted By: Jcotrapper

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 06:04 PM

What kind of feed lots ? Also never heard the story behind not using his last name lol

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 06:07 PM

Anyone remember that Ryan guy off YouTube from Saskatchewan? He made huge catches but hasn't posted anything in several years

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 06:18 PM

I remember that Ryan guy. He posted a bunch of videos to Youtube . Very informative. Nothing new on Youtube for several years either. He caught like 48 coyotes in one check.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 06:30 PM

I'm curious who this Bob is and how come we can't use his last name. Seems a little hard to understand how anyone could do just as well out in prairies where the population might b a coyote per couple of sections compared to around a feedlot where the population might be 20 per section.
Posted By: MooseMasher

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 06:56 PM

http://lynxcat.proboards.com/board/21/trapping-talk

Look around this forum, I am sure you'll find someone named Bob.

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 06:57 PM

And that's another big part of large catches.

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: LDW
Trying to figure out who this Bob guy is. Any more hints? If you can give Marty's last name, why not Bob's?

W---e----n----d----t--- If you type it out like (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) well....

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 09:17 PM

This is an old picture of his that has floated around....I think he had one or two caught on the other side too if my memory serves me correct.

Posted By: d2009

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 09:26 PM

That is an incredible picture. Wow!

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 09:29 PM

I think that's the pic.

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 09:47 PM

WOW

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 10:13 PM

You guys need to realize
Catching coyotes is one thing but all the hours putting up fur on top of it is another. Catching them is not the problem.

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 10:16 PM

Then you have that other canine guy named Phil. If you are reading this,I always tip my hat to you.
Posted By: Carlis

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: wr otis
That Bob guy probably catches more in footholds, faster than 99% of other trappers. There may be guys catching more than him, but not many.

and it takes along time to skin them also. I, with some help this year did 129 in 8 days, I would have liked to stayed a month, but the dang DRs appointments would screw everything up. my best month was 178 and that year was 198.. Marty smith is on his way toward300 this year. R waddell is right around 300 or more. It takes way more work than I would want to catch and skin that many, so most of mine were sold on the carcass this year. best day I think was 37, a long way from the 50 I wanted, but closer. had 20 the day I had to head home. Waddell came in behind me and was able to pick up another 103 when it finally cooled off. this trapping in tennis shoes is for the birds.
Posted By: bmccoyote

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 10:54 PM

I work on a ranch that is 42 sections, 18 miles west to east, and avg 2.5 miles north to south. I have 8 neighbors around my perimeter and there is only one that traps year long for coyotes like I do. I catch between 30 and 40 a year and have for the last 5 or 6 years. I'm sure that my neighbor that does trap year round catches more than that. I know that I could catch a lot more than what I do but the real responsibilities of my job, feeding cows, and sheep, checking water and fence, general maintenance, get in the way of running a big time trap line. I have it all set up in my mind how I would do it, how many traps I could start with, plus snares, just not enough time. But I still keep them in check and from eating a lot of deer, sheep, and calves.
Posted By: H380

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/30/17 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: bmccoyote
I work on a ranch that is 42 sections, 18 miles west to east, and avg 2.5 miles north to south. I have 8 neighbors around my perimeter and there is only one that traps year long for coyotes like I do. I catch between 30 and 40 a year and have for the last 5 or 6 years. I'm sure that my neighbor that does trap year round catches more than that. I know that I could catch a lot more than what I do but the real responsibilities of my job, feeding cows, and sheep, checking water and fence, general maintenance, get in the way of running a big time trap line. I have it all set up in my mind how I would do it, how many traps I could start with, plus snares, just not enough time. But I still keep them in check and from eating a lot of deer, sheep, and calves.
If youve got brush and access to bait then go with snares and you'll get er done . Much cheaper than traps and faster as well .
Posted By: red mt

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/31/17 01:26 AM

H380 how your guys pop. on coyotes this year?
Posted By: bmccoyote

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/31/17 06:40 PM

H380, yeah snares are way cheaper, especially if you make your own, which I do. Need to do some reading on snaring that guys like sterling, and graham do. I have lots of juniper on about 50 % of the ranch and could easily set trails coming and going from water troughs, and the like.
Posted By: longbow31

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/31/17 06:45 PM

That's a heck of a pile in 8 days Carlis!! One days catch is a decent season in my neck of the woods
Posted By: scheide

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 12/31/17 11:46 PM

I am the one that took the picture of Bob. He had 10 at this location two days in a row out of 12 sets. He caught 64 the 4 days I rode with him. A lot of sceptics on here saying the picture was staged etc. Tell me how you could realisticly stage something like that. Bob has a work ethic like no other and works like a well oiled machine.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 01/01/18 12:18 AM

What exactly is a feedlot?
Posted By: Carolina Foxer

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 01/01/18 12:21 AM

Carlis, you OK with me posting you n Marty's pic from the lynxlair?

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 01/01/18 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Jurassic Park
What exactly is a feedlot?

Where they keep 1000s of cattle and feed them till they are marketed. The death rate Is sometimes 10 or so a day.
They are hauled off and picked up at a later date. The coyotes have become accustomed to a free meal.

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 01/01/18 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: scheide
I am the one that took the picture of Bob. He had 10 at this location two days in a row out of 12 sets. He caught 64 the 4 days I rode with him. A lot of sceptics on here saying the picture was staged etc. Tell me how you could realisticly stage something like that. Bob has a work ethic like no other and works like a well oiled machine.

I knew it was someone from Nebraska that had taken the pic couldn't remember who. Bob really got me to think in terms of simple. Wish he'd post more. From personal feuds and people questioning authenticity I barely see him on anymore. Lynx lair was the last place I followed him regularly. It's too bad, he's a wealth of knowledge and isn't afraid to spread it for free.
Posted By: Elitebowman

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 01/01/18 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Iowa4life
Anyone remember that Ryan guy off YouTube from Saskatchewan? He made huge catches but hasn't posted anything in several years

5911ryan on youtube. I think he started a guiding business or something like that to take people out Coyote snaring. Look up his name on Youtube and you should find him. I just punched his name in on there and he poped up.
Posted By: Carlis

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 01/01/18 02:43 PM

I helped Bob set up that location the very next year, I think we put in 17. FROZEN GROUND, I crawled under slabs of concrete to get dry dirt. I think we had 7 the next day, half was mangey, had traps froze in, 2 of the mangy dead in traps.

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 01/01/18 04:49 PM

Obviously I know how to find him on YouTube I just said that? He hasn't posted for a couple years is my point.
Posted By: RiversNorth13

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 01/01/18 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: tbn
You guys need to realize
Catching coyotes is one thing but all the hours putting up fur on top of it is another. Catching them is not the problem.

laugh
I would bet there's more than one trapper here that might not think ,catching is not a problem .

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 01/01/18 09:46 PM

Um, for me catching is a problem. LOL

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 01/01/18 09:48 PM

Not arguing. What I am saying it is one thing to catch a lot. It is another chapter skinning,fleshing,finishing your catch. I have more hours in the fur shed than trapping my puny catch. Of course I could pay someone to finish them or sell green or on the carcass but I would have to catch twice as many for the same amount of money.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 01/02/18 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: scheide

I knew it was someone from Nebraska that had taken the pic couldn't remember who. Bob really got me to think in terms of simple. Wish he'd post more. From personal feuds and people questioning authenticity I barely see him on anymore. Lynx lair was the last place I followed him regularly. It's too bad, he's a wealth of knowledge and isn't afraid to spread it for free.

Unfortunately we have lost many great trappers from posting on here because of the negative nay sayers-really pee's me off because we all can learn from these fellas-yet they take off because they just don't need the negativity for trying to spread and share their knowledge-brutal to say the least.
Posted By: Creek

Re: Biggest Coyote Catch - 01/05/18 01:43 PM

Feedlot are a big place to catch big numbers. Every feedlot had a dead pile. Lat year I trapped a small feedlot 3 miles from town.
It was a perfect snare location. I had 13 coyotes on the first check. Ended up with 41 coyotes there.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums