Home

The Saga Continues...

Posted By: MooseMasher

The Saga Continues... - 12/21/17 05:56 PM

The highest graded cat I have personally seen. Back is flawless, belly is wide, spots are dark, and massive. I would be pretty surprised if it didn't take one of the top 3 cats at Utah sale. Has an awesome aspect with its fur where the last half inch or so of fur is frosted white. Beautiful bobcat that I am honored to have caught.

Not bad for not having done this seriously for a few years.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/21/17 06:37 PM

Nice bobcats.Congrats
Posted By: John Deere Steve

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/21/17 08:50 PM

Beautiful cat!!!
Congratulations
Posted By: swick3

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/21/17 09:28 PM

Very nice cat. And also not to mention the area looks pretty sweet as well.
That last picture is pretty awesome
Posted By: bob1454

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/21/17 09:30 PM

Nice cats Moose.
Posted By: ttzt

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/21/17 09:38 PM

Good to have you back Moose, missed your posts. Good luck to you guys.
Posted By: cutmjack

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/21/17 10:51 PM

Wow, beautiful cats and scenery! Congrats!
Are you nervous finishing something you figure has that kind of value? I'd be scared to death I'd rip it. I get real nervous skinning/finishing a cat I think I might get $100 for!!
Nice trapping rig, too! Just razzing you. I've thrown lots of dead critters in a little car I bought from my late father as I drove back and forth to work, and trapping on the way!
Nice cats!!
Posted By: Taximan

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/22/17 06:22 PM

Nice going Moose.That's one of those you will never forget.I've never seen one with a pattern like that,on it's back.Neat country.
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/22/17 09:01 PM

Nice job Moose. Good to see you guys back.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/22/17 10:44 PM

Those cats make you want to move to Utah! Lol
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/23/17 12:15 AM

Nice cats! I hope you didn't get caught in that dust storm or wild fire that is behind you in the first and last pics...lol
Posted By: rednecktrapper

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/23/17 01:09 AM

Great pictures. Thank you for sharing.

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/23/17 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: cutmjack
Wow, beautiful cats and scenery! Congrats!
Are you nervous finishing something you figure has that kind of value? I'd be scared to death I'd rip it. I get real nervous skinning/finishing a cat I think I might get $100 for!!
Nice trapping rig, too! Just razzing you. I've thrown lots of dead critters in a little car I bought from my late father as I drove back and forth to work, and trapping on the way!
Nice cats!!

Nope. I did a ton of research on how to put up bobcats before I did my first one about 8-9 years ago, and about that time the Nevada Stretch was just becoming popular, and I was lucky to learn from the absolute best and modify my put up a little bit to better reflect how I felt made the cats look the best.

Believe it or not that car has trapped more coyotes and bobcats than any other car I have owned hahaha.

Originally Posted By: Taximan
Nice going Moose.That's one of those you will never forget.I've never seen one with a pattern like that,on it's back.Neat country.

Thanks Taxi. Yeah I have never seen a bobcat of this quality. First Rosette I have seen with thick fur and just absolutely amazing spots. Hope you're doing well.

Originally Posted By: Jumperzee
Nice job Moose. Good to see you guys back.

Hey bud. Hope you're doing well!

Heres another cat, got it today. Sorry for the bad picture quality I couldn't get my iPhone to focus. Another Rosette, not a huge cat probably about 20-25 pounds 3-4 year old medium sized female. Belly is decent. Hard to look at any cat now and get excited after that beauty was caught this week.

Setting a new line tomorrow, I suspect JTM and I will set probably 16-20 sets more? Right now we have 30 sets out so I would like right around 50.

Also, as an aside, this bobcat caught today was caught in the exact same set as a bobcat that was caught 21 days ago. Which means it took 23 days for this bobcat to either make a loop, or potentially even longer. Interesting tidbit.

Wyatt

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/23/17 05:50 AM

Also interesting note.

Cat from this year.

Cat from last year, same approximate area.

Cat from 2011 showing a very similar back also in the same area.

Must be good genes!
Posted By: cutmjack

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/25/17 01:54 PM

Moose,
Hope you catch some more on your new line. That scenery is spectacular.
It would be interesting for you to follow up and let us know how much those cats sold for at auction, or wherever you sell. Guys here in the Midwest salivate when they get cats that sell for a few hundred dollars. Back a few years ago when those western cats were selling for more than a grand was awesome.
Anyway, keep stackin' 'em up and good luck to ya.
Merry Christmas.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/25/17 05:20 PM

Nice pics.Is their a limit on cats in your state?

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/25/17 05:47 PM

Awesome pictures and catches.
Posted By: wheelers

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/25/17 06:18 PM

Nice

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/27/17 04:48 AM

Anyone notice this looks eerily similar to the same location I caught that cat last year? Decided to pull these traps I don't want to hurt the location too much.

The one I am holding is one of the single nicest bobcats I have ever seen. I think it will measure about 43" or so? And the other one is bigger than that. I may take some pictures of them when they are put up.

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/28/17 09:43 PM

Update-

Just pulled half my 30 trap line, gonna move them to a new location. Gonna pull the other portion of my line tomorrow, and also move those to locations. Don't want to over hurt a population.
Posted By: ottertrapper

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/29/17 02:13 AM

Beautiful cats! Do you have a limit there? Sure be nice to catch just one of those

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/29/17 02:39 AM

Very nice looking bobcats.

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/29/17 05:52 AM

Originally Posted By: ottertrapper
Beautiful cats! Do you have a limit there? Sure be nice to catch just one of those

Limit is 6 bobcats per person for this year. I consider myself very very honored every time I catch one of them. They are incredible animals that I have a very deep respect for. Probably why I put so much time into fur prep.

Originally Posted By: Bruce T
Very nice looking bobcats.

Thank you, sir.

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/29/17 11:40 PM

From left to right:

41", 39", 43", 40", 32", 36", 43".

Couple of titty bellies but overall not a bad group of cats. You can definitely seen which ones are done and which ones are bland. From L to R 1,2,5,6 are complete, 3,4,7 aren't done.

Closeup of 3,4,7.

1,3, and 7 are definitely the best cats. 1 has a nice back to boot.

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/29/17 11:57 PM

Very nice
Posted By: coloradocat

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/30/17 04:33 AM

WOW!!!!!! Nice cats Homer. Wondered how you and your dad have been.

That one certainly is a diamond.

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/30/17 05:33 AM

Originally Posted By: coloradocat
WOW!!!!!! Nice cats Homer. Wondered how you and your dad have been.

That one certainly is a diamond.

Thanks man. #7 sure is gorgeous. He has the genes to be the top cat unless someone gets a pig thats gorgeous as well.

We've been good. Busy. We primarily shoot guns and fish now, but figured this year I would dust off the traps and see what I could do with limited time! Hope you're doing well.
Posted By: coloradocat

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/31/17 02:56 AM

Been good here. I was at Nephi this year and kept looking for you guys. Never did see ya though.

Looks like you guys haven't lost your touch!!!!!!!
Posted By: bandy

Re: The Saga Continues... - 12/31/17 02:37 PM

Here is two of my Virginia cats from last year just wanted to put them up to some western cats and see how they look.

Re: The Saga Continues... - 01/01/18 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: coloradocat
Been good here. I was at Nephi this year and kept looking for you guys. Never did see ya though.

Looks like you guys haven't lost your touch!!!!!!!

Last year we had a pistol match, we dipped out of Nephi really fast (plus we only had 1 cat and a couple of coyotes.

The fur put up is still there, but thats mostly due to your stretchers. wink

Originally Posted By: bandy

Here is two of my Virginia cats from last year just wanted to put them up to some western cats and see how they look.

Looks good! I try and keep the front legs a little longer just until it hits the long hair near the base of the neck. I also hang them upside down in front of a fan and it really gives them the final fluff and goodness.
Posted By: bandy

Re: The Saga Continues... - 01/02/18 01:22 PM

Thanks i will try that those are some really nice cats.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums