Home

Best states to trap in

Posted By: Keith Belanger

Best states to trap in - 07/23/14 01:33 AM

Hey I was wondering what do you think are the best states to trap in, regarding general laws, season limits, season lengths. I live in NH and we cant trap marten or bobcat. But we are allowed 10 otter and ten fisher. WE can also tap Mink,Muskrat,Beaver,Weasel,Fox,Coyote, Skunk Possum, and Coon. In the north the season is oct 15th to dec 31 for coon, skunk, possum, coyote, fox. In the south its nov 1 to jan 15. Mink, Muskrat, Weasel, Otter, and beaver are oct 15 and nov 1 to april 10. The fisher season is dec 1 to dec 31. Its not the best laws and limits in the world but it is definitely one of the best in New England. What do you think has the best laws? I think Montana has really nice laws. That's where I'm going when I grow up and get out of high school.
Posted By: wormbobskey

Re: Best states to trap in - 07/23/14 02:00 AM

Any and all states that allows trapping is a good one.
Posted By: Dragger

Re: Best states to trap in - 07/23/14 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: wormbobskey
Any and all states that allows trapping is a good one.

Unless it's cage only.
Posted By: wormbobskey

Re: Best states to trap in - 07/23/14 03:48 AM

That's true Dragger, but some of those guys could catch a fart in the wind with those cages.
Posted By: YankeeBushman

Re: Best states to trap in - 07/23/14 01:55 PM

Being a fellow granite stater, I think NH is pretty good.
Posted By: Newt

Re: Best states to trap in - 07/23/14 09:07 PM

Massachusetts
NO Compation
Posted By: Gabby 57

Re: Best states to trap in - 07/23/14 10:23 PM

I think the answer would vary year to year depending on what furs and quality of furs are in demand, along with which state has that type of fur in great abundance, and how liberal their trapping laws are, along with do they treat nonresident trappers with parity.
Posted By: Ringtailravenger

Re: Best states to trap in - 07/25/14 10:56 PM

Iowa
Posted By: mixed bag

Re: Best states to trap in - 07/25/14 11:45 PM

I have few complaints with pa laws.Think we should have snares(not cable restraints) allowed.Also would like to see ROW trapping,a longer fisher season and otter openedup
But all in all Pa has good trapping and good laws
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Best states to trap in - 07/26/14 12:31 AM

Anyplace west of I35 and east of Ca Or Wa.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Best states to trap in - 07/26/14 03:07 AM

I like it here, good variety and good population of animals.
Jim
Posted By: ShaneT

Re: Best states to trap in - 07/29/14 04:22 AM

Just based on trapper friendly laws such as few limits on equipment: Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, Wyoming, and the Dakotas come to mind.

But to qualify in my book ROW trapping has to be allowed so take Texas out.

Alaska would be my choice but my thin deep south blood would freeze instantly at 25 below.
Posted By: crow1971

Re: Best states to trap in - 07/30/14 06:17 AM

Got to agree with ShaneT, I love it here, Louisiana boy born & raised, I've visited kin in Nv., Tn, & Fl., heard & read other states laws, think I'll stay right here!!!
Posted By: Nd native

Re: Best states to trap in - 07/31/14 01:06 AM

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< See location <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< . Never trapped anywhere else so I have no real say and our laws are pretty relaxed, Pheasant hunters have been winning some ground against trapping in the last decade, don't and can't understand why for the life of me since it is supporting the anti-hunting movement. A couple genius's that rarely trap set some 330's on dry land runs through cattails and now every hunter thinks their lab is going to get their heads lopped off by anyone trapping. So bad that the game and fish here touts a what to do if your pheasant dog is trapped and mass distributes it, puts fear in pheasant hunters and landowners heads. Cant figure it out, but I always suspected that our game and fish department is more about restricting hunting and trapping than allowing it. AKA tree-huggin'
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Best states to trap in - 08/01/14 10:56 PM

Illinois! What other state is there?
Posted By: cole_train

Re: Best states to trap in - 08/01/14 11:44 PM

Ain't Nebraska! No fur, over trapped, terrible laws. Stay away from Nebraska......
Posted By: lots of mink

Re: Best states to trap in - 08/01/14 11:58 PM

Canada is the best trapping
Its easier to get paid in the US, there is more ways to market your furs but as a whole I would not trade.
Iam trapping 8-9 months a year, some of the US seasons are only 60 days long.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Best states to trap in - 08/02/14 10:02 AM

Originally Posted By: cole_train
Ain't Nebraska! No fur, over trapped, terrible laws. Stay away from Nebraska......

Ha ha that was awesome

Noah and I banged on a few more doors last night. The anticipation builds. Can't wait for season to get here.

Jim grin

Re: Best states to trap in - 08/02/14 12:42 PM

LOL!
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/13/18 05:01 PM

Texas & Alabama!
Posted By: AJE

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/13/18 05:18 PM

Well, I can't complain about Wisconsin. Over the last 5 years (maybe more) we've seen a decrease in trapping regulations, whereas some states are seeing an increase.
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/13/18 05:36 PM

anywhere where we dont need rubber jawed traps, only live traps, cable restrains not snares would be nice!

maybe Canada?
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/13/18 07:56 PM

I believe Ontario has a rubber jawed only regulation on its footholds.No place is immune from these regs anymore,it would be nice if guys took joining their assoc.'s more seriously.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/14/18 12:13 AM

Rubber jaw or laminated.(not required for fox)
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/14/18 09:18 PM

Larry,
Illinois needs to allow snaring on land. I know of some excellent places that could be setup for coyotes.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/15/18 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: ebsurveyor
Best states are MN & NV.
I don't see many Nevada trappers on here.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/15/18 07:45 PM

That would depend on what you were after !
Some states have beautiful 'cats, but a restriction on numbers.
Some a lot of reddish low grade 'cats.

Beaver and otter are everywhere in some southern states, but states like Georgia, you can't find a fur buyer.
And if you do, you're basically selling your beaver in 'the grease', as the time spent putting them up won't pay what your time is worth.
Lots of coyotes in many places, but states like Ohio, they're a low grade coyote used in trim.
Rocky mountain states, big area, but quality fur !
A lot of states you can go and trap 'coat' 'coon. No money in it with a flooded market.

The best state is where you have a 'welcome mat' and some connections, as that becomes important the older you get and the further away you are from home.
Having set traps in some 19 states, there are a lot of 'state hopping drawbacks' I can tell someone about to avoid the mistakes that I've made.
There is some money to be made for a hard working, well armed trapped, but there aren't many states paved with 'high dollar'fur !
Posted By: bmccoyote

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/15/18 07:56 PM

I like New Mexico, but hey, that's where I live. hahahahaha. We can trap coyotes all year and I like that. Protected furbearers runs from mid November to mid March. If we have a good enough winter and you live far enough north, I'm central NM with elevations of 6600 feet, the cat prices can be pretty good if the market is in demand. Rules and regs here work pretty good for me and how I trap, and what I target.
Posted By: Redeyesheds

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/16/18 01:20 PM

Not Eastern North Dakota, NDGF takes Bobcats, Fishers, Otters, Martins, Lions and we have them plenty...
Posted By: possumcatcher

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/16/18 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: jabNE
Jim

Second that
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/16/18 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: mixed bag
I have few complaints with pa laws.Think we should have snares(not cable restraints) allowed.Also would like to see ROW trapping,a longer fisher season and otter openedup
But all in all Pa has good trapping and good laws

x2
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/16/18 11:15 PM

Tennessee has pretty liberal seasons, from Nov thru end of February with no limits, and we did get away from the rubber jawed traps this year. But it definitely hasn't got the best fur
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/16/18 11:38 PM

Any state that has more than a daily check law and allows REAL killing snares.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/17/18 09:18 PM

I like it here but I sure wish I could land snare mink on frozen marshes.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/17/18 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: AJE
Well, I can't complain about Wisconsin. Over the last 5 years (maybe more) we've seen a decrease in trapping regulations, whereas some states are seeing an increase.

WI has a long way to go.

My buddy moved there last year after trapping MN and one other state. He was not impressed with WI trapping laws in the least.

There are more southern states I'd sure like to try. La is one of them.
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/18/18 03:58 AM

I'm fine where I'm at.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/18/18 11:06 AM

Originally Posted By: jabNE
Jim

I'd agree Nebraska has pretty relaxed trapping laws, and we have a wide variety of animals to trap for sure. I've considered trapping other states, and then I start reading the regulations. Doesn't take long to remember why I enjoy trapping here.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/18/18 03:55 PM

States that have favorable trapping laws, what you want to catch, and access to enough territory. For example, about 2/3rds of Idaho is public land with majority of it virtually un-accessible (due mainly to wilderness designations, winter road closures, and private land blockages), especially during fur trapping seasons.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/19/18 02:50 AM

Another thing to consider is that some states will not allow you to trap certain fur bearers if you're not a resident. Then, if you become a resident, you may be excluded from trapping other states.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/19/18 03:06 AM

Lots of beaver up here, the whole state maybe. Lots of rats too. I have no other state in my crosshairs at the moment.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/20/18 08:16 PM

2X . Within a mile of my house I can harvest beaver,rats,mink,coon,otter,coyote,red and gray fox,bobcat,fisher,weasel,skunk,opossum and liberal. No season bag limits and reasonable length of seasons. Quality is dependent on when you set.
Downside- must travel an hour for a 6 limit marten season. lol
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/21/18 02:22 AM

lol I cant believe no one said misery! We have ugly yotes and tons of worthless coons! Hey but the otter trapping is ok. But yes we have to use fake snares but im growing used to them. Our laws are pretty lax compared to others .Our coni laws are pretty strict but at least we can set 330 half submerged now! We do grow some nice grinners!
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/22/18 05:21 PM

Right where I'm at is hard to beat. Although my hope for retirement is to trap a few different states. Sux that most of these states have horrible trapping laws. Co az nv NM. For non resident anyway. Always wanted to get in on a reservation tho. Heard rumored their regs are totally different
Posted By: 080808

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/22/18 11:17 PM

Joe. I was looking for sympathy. lol. Long tailed, nice white colored when prime.

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/23/18 09:59 PM

Sounds like a lot of us like our local areas? I find Illinois a great place to trap. People are friendly toward trappers. We have good fur and a lot of it. Lots of food for fur bearers. Long seasons. We can use most traps. No limits accept badgers and we don't have very many statewide anyway. No weasels here though- only in northern IL.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/24/18 01:48 AM

Michigan all the way plenty of cold nasty weather to keep folks out of the woods and prime the pelts. You can catch just about every furbearing animal in NA on a single check, with a lot of hard work and a little luck.

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/24/18 01:49 AM

Northern Michigan has plenty of Federal and State Land...

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/29/18 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: John-Chagnon
Northern Michigan has plenty of Federal and State Land...

Is there room without stepping on toes??
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/29/18 04:54 PM

For what it's worth here are the quantities of furbearer trapped in Arizona in the 1980-81 season. I hung on to the old report for no good reason.

Coyote---- 14,871
Gray fox-- 26,150
Kit fox---- 2,897
Bobcat---- 9,696
Ringtail cat 3,289
Badger---- 1,127
Raccoon---- 839
Skunk----- 4,063
Muskrat--- 2,949
Beaver------ 83

Est.# trappers--- 1834

Obviously not a good state for water animals.
Those numbers are from before Phoenix Phonies virtually outlawed trapping in the entire state.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Best states to trap in - 04/29/18 09:50 PM

furvor that was also after prices had been good for several years. I doubt very many people today would believe how large a completely sustainable harvest can be

Re: Best states to trap in - 05/01/18 07:32 PM

Hi Trappergbus I never run into many Coyote and fox trappers in Northern Lower or Upper Peninsula and I usually trap different routes on different years, I like to explore. I kind of steer clear of big muskrat swamps as everybody claims they trapped them for a 100 years, plus I'd rather stay dry and trap canines. Do float some cool rivers once in a while, if I see pressure I move on to a different river.

Re: Best states to trap in - 05/02/18 05:19 PM

Thanks John I'll keep that all in mind. I might get up that way after I retire later this year.

Thanks Man

Re: Best states to trap in - 05/02/18 06:40 PM

That would be cool Trappergbus stop by PCS and I'll give you a tour.

Re: Best states to trap in - 05/02/18 06:48 PM

I will do that, i may get up that way fishin this summer. I'll send you a PM if and when I do.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums