Home

Coon bait

Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Coon bait - 11/24/19 12:53 AM

I know every one uses different baits you could ask 20 people and not get the same answer so that being said what do you use
Posted By: MOcoyotesJr

Re: Coon bait - 11/24/19 01:37 AM

I use Hiawatha valley, terminator, yote dope, and we made some of our own bait one has crawdad and one has rat meat.
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: Coon bait - 07/23/20 10:18 PM

My first thread here on this forum lol! Anybody got a coon bait recipe?
Posted By: TrappermanBlake

Re: Coon bait - 07/24/20 04:28 PM

For dog proofs I fill it up with dog food and squirt fish oil on top and it works great! I’ve caught a crap ton of coons doing it!
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: Coon bait - 07/25/20 03:46 AM

I use catfood up to the trigger if a dp and sometimes I use vanilla extract. When I know it's going to rain soon I'll use corn instead because I think it lasts longer in the rain
Posted By: KeeperOfTheCoons

Re: Coon bait - 08/01/20 02:41 AM

I honestly believe one of the best baits to use for raccoon is fish. A great way to get alot of fish for bait fast is to set a minnow trap and collect the minnows. Chuck em up and put them in a container to you liking or ziplock bag and freeze it or use it fresh. You could grind it as a base if you wish as well. I see that other users are suggesting pet food as bait. I respect your choices but I just can't recommend you using that. I could see someones pet finding that and getting caught, or a lost/feral one even thought its a cheap bait. I would have to recommend anything Fishy, meaty, oily/fatty, or sweet/sugery as bait for them, they certainly are not picky. One recipe I like is to take canned salmon or mackerel and throw in a can of sardines and mix it up with some anise extract or vanilla, your choice. You can add a can of sweetcorn as well but I don't use dps, I use a normal foothold trap, so if you don't have any pan tension and even if you do you might accidentally catch birds, squirrels, or mice since they like it too. Many people I know use marshmallows in their dp traps since it fits nice behind the trigger. I stand with the free minnows as bait. P.S. If you use a small hook and line you can catch minnows that dont fit into the minnow traps, like 6-8 inch minnows, so you got more to mess with.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Coon bait - 10/19/20 03:04 AM

3 baits easy to get are marshmellows, wild fish, & pancake syrup. Marshmellows are good eye appeal. Draws the coon right in. 2 good lures to try are Carman's coon #1 & Blackie's night bandit. Both great on coon
Posted By: KeeperOfTheCoons

Re: Coon bait - 10/25/20 11:23 PM

Pancake syrup is really good as well. They will lick it off the tree so much that the bark will come off! Its a good base for baits since its so sweet and the stickyness just gets everywhere when you smear it on something. They want every last bit of it. Biggest coon ive ever caught was on eggs in a dirthole with some syrup drizzled nearby. I wasn't expecting it much at all, and I think the coon was really after the syrup and not the eggs.
Posted By: AliciaK

Re: Coon bait - 10/27/20 06:12 PM

Blue balls DP bait from NO-BS Lures
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Coon bait - 10/28/20 10:21 AM

The coons here in the North like molasses!
Posted By: Ave

Re: Coon bait - 10/28/20 12:01 PM

In my opinion , some baits are better than others, but raccoons will eat just about anything. I’ve used strait corn, cat food , fancy bait, commercial bait, fish, canned sardines, food scraps, muskrat, beaver, and all have caught coon. With coon being worth hardly anything now, I keep it cheap. Cat food and fish oil around the trap, sometimes a golf ball on the top to keep rain out and for eye appeal. Personally for me, it slays the coon. I think it works especially well around creeks and cornfields. If you have the money, ADC on here sells the best commercial coon bait I’ve used. Good luck!
Posted By: Koss2005

Re: Coon bait - 12/30/20 10:30 PM

I you'es fish but i have not caught very much coons with fish but there was not very much coons a round but i no it works.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums