Home

Marten thread/archive

Posted By: Top Jimmy

Marten thread/archive - 01/11/07 03:54 AM

I figured that after the 330 bucket set having its own thred, it might be a good idea to have Marten sets on its own thread, so they are easy to find. And seeing as many of us are spending a bunch of time on them, it would be good info for everyone.

Kusko, here are the pictures of that tip up I posted (I think on the 2nd thread):

I hope this helps someone.

For a coni, I have seen where the spring is set up to push the hook up off when it fires on the marten. That way you don't need to have the animal struggle to get the pole to swing up.

-TJ
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Marten Sets - 01/11/07 05:13 AM

You didn't post an "after" pic.
mt
Posted By: trapperjoeAK

Re: Marten Sets - 01/11/07 06:25 AM

Good Idea Top Jimmy. I think that it will help a lot to have the species specific info on its own threads. As long as we don't get too many threads that stuff starts getting lost. We can still do our chitchat on the Allmighty.

Here is my marten setup. I use the plant pots, but 120's. With the two springs the trap can just be held in the slots. I put one small nail through the bottom edge of the pot. And a big one down through the top at an angle. I leave an inch of this one hanging out, and I stick the wire from my prewired bait up through the center hole and wire it to this nail. I have the traps prepared with the springs cocked and a foot or so of 14 gauge on the end of the chain. Trap goes in pot, wire off to a limb, and put stick with the lure on top of the pot. Usually hang a piece of flagging too, but that is more for me finding the set. Super fast.

Checking sets, I have a 120 in one pocket and lure in the other pocket (scary, that is) jump out, and go to the set. If I have to use snowshoes it slows me down some though.

Lets see everyone else preferred marten set. I know we have seen most of them before, but it might be helpful for people if they are all in one spot.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Marten Sets - 01/11/07 07:27 AM

Joe, that looks like awfully warm country to be having dead marten hang around for long. You have any problem with green bellies on your marten? How often do you check?
mt

Re: Marten Sets - 01/11/07 08:33 AM

Has warm spells like any place martentrapper, but this season there hasn't ever been more than two or three days above freezing at a time. Most of my marten are froze solid, and I have never had any green belly. Run about a one week check on average. Those three were all from the beginning of the season when the weather was nicer. Here is a pic from last check. Don't look quite so nice and warm does it? \:\)

Dusty, I like your setup. If you run 110's, and can get the clip making down I think it is the way to go. I did get tired of wiring bait into the buckets though when I used to do it that way. I COMPLETELY agree that wiring buckets to trees is a HUGE waste of time. Nails or screws, either way but not wire.

The only thing I do not like about my way is that I have two sizes of nail, but that isn't that big of a deal. 120's take away the need for the clip, but the downfall is higher expense and I guess more weight might be an issue for some people. Plus 110s ARE a lot nicer to set.

I am sort of surprised that the buckets don't fall down when you make a catch??
Posted By: Recondo

Re: Marten Sets - 01/11/07 11:53 AM

Never have used this trap model before, was sort of curious if any one here has and what they think of them. From the looks of em I imagine you'd be swapping em out like connis when you connect. The bait goes under the hood of the trap, which is sort of like a trap and cubbie in one. They are pretty pricey, for two of these you can almost buy a DZ 120's.

The Gabry Bionic can be ratcheted with a tool for
additional power to kill marten, mink and fishers
quickly. This trap is relatively safe, as the bait
must be pulled to activate the trap.
Posted By: otterman

Re: Marten Sets - 01/11/07 05:28 PM

Rick nice pictures cept we cant see the last 2 red fox in 120s must be fun to remove I got one in a 110 and ended up taking fox and trap home and having another person pull the head out while I opened up the trap what a pain of course this was the year we got a whopping $5 for all our fox
Posted By: Kusko

Re: Marten Sets - 01/11/07 05:53 PM

Here are some pictures of our sets. We built the boxes as we had scrap plywood and also had no idea if there were marten in the area. I'll be putting in newspaper boxes next year as they stack up a lot easier. We just made one side a little longer and they are nailed to the tree using double headed nails so we could pull them out easier.

Here is the results.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Marten Sets - 01/11/07 06:10 PM

I set up just like Rick except I mount onto leaning and horizontal trees held by a bunji cord(thanks for the tip Rick!).I also bait and load the tubes at home and I can CARRY 12 on my frame pack easily.I use 110's instead of 120's and have had only one alive this year but sure it was freshly caught.

Re: Marten Sets - 01/11/07 06:15 PM

Here's some old pics

Posted By: Family Trapper

Re: Marten Sets - 01/11/07 09:10 PM

This was my usual set
Conibear held on 4 nails.

Wired on Branch to keep the marten from jumping over.

Combination Marten Wolverine set.
Trigger on 330 is set wide to allow marten to enter and get caught in the 110 further down the line. Keep marten set out of reach of the 330. 330 held with nails also. A wider leaning pole.

Nice to have them hangingl

Dusty where do you get the galvanized strapping?
I looks like you must be setting your conis on the wider trigger slot. I have alway used the first but after making a few of your style holders I can see why you want to use the second. Allows the holder to be built wider and thus accomodate hammer head if you have to use a nai. I don't want to pack a screw gun.

Posted By: Loel

Re: Marten Sets - 01/12/07 03:10 AM

I hang my tubes vertical like Rick does. I have been hanging them about three feet off of the ground.

After talking to Ted the other night, I was wondering if how high you hung your sets would determine if you cought a male or female? He said in his area the males are the only ones to climb.He also hangs his sets higher then I do. So far this year, I'm almost at 50% females. They are all juvies so far. So I was wondering if I put the sets up to say five feet off of the ground, if only the males would climb that high in a set?
Posted By: Arctic Trapper

Re: Marten Sets - 01/12/07 04:29 AM

Ok,

Heres one of mine. Not anything different, although my flower pots were a bit larger than my 120 coni, so I mounted the coni just outside the pot. Fashioned a similar coni clip made from galvinized strapping like the one shown earlier. Ran Spruce boughs through the springs to keep the Marten from jumping over, a fish head for bait, GUSTO for Lure, flagging tape and also hung a CD for an attractor.

Here is before
[img][/img]

And the results
[img][/img]

Re: Marten Sets - 01/16/07 07:39 PM

What do you think of this idea. Take a dozen 2x2's that are 8 feet long. Have your trap and bait already attached to the pole. When you get to the place where you want to make a set, nail the pole to a tree, hang a wing, apply lure and move on.

Would a 2x2 be big enough? When we check, it seems like we never have time to make new sets and I'm trying to come up with a fast way.
Posted By: takotna

Re: Marten Sets - 01/16/07 08:13 PM

Sounds like a nifty Idea Kusko, altough I would leave trap/bait off to keep everything from being an entangled mess, you could even put some flourescent paint on to mark your trail/trap.

Re: Marten Sets - 01/16/07 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: takotna
Sounds like a nifty Idea Kusko, altough I would leave trap/bait off to keep everything from being an entangled mess, you could even put some flourescent paint on to mark your trail/trap.

Good idea. You could maybe bait it, but the chain would get all wrapped up. Dusty's coni set with the flower pot looks quick and easy.
Posted By: Bushman

Re: Marten Sets - 01/27/07 12:58 AM

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Bushman22/martenhanging.jpg[/IMG]

Prefer horizontal pole sets but have about 20% vertical just to mix it up. Horizontal sets are more productive in my area
Posted By: wolfcrazy

Re: Marten Sets - 01/28/07 02:31 PM

Hello

I'm new here and noticed that some of you use swing poles. I have never made them and was hoping someone could explain how they are set up.

Jason

Re: Marten Sets - 01/29/07 06:28 PM

ok, so here is what we have going on with the marten. beaver for bait and magnum marten scent

Re: Marten Sets - 02/01/07 06:48 PM

friend of a freind in kaltag

Re: Marten Sets - 02/01/07 08:36 PM

After this year, I have officially decided that I do not like horizontal or even sloped poles on my line. With all the snow they are out of comission in a day or two. And, since I have never observed a refusal on a vertical pot, I am just going to stick with them. I never cut poles, but if I found a naturally occurring spot I would set them. No more. Something to keep in mind if you have very heavy snowfall.
Posted By: bearbait

Re: Marten Sets - 02/01/07 08:41 PM

Hi Jason, welcome. There is a post titled Swing Poles where they are discussed.

Re: Marten Sets - 02/01/07 09:20 PM

we ahve not had a problem with the horizontal poles, and that is why we built the boxes, never had a trp in operble in all the snow. the good thing is that it seems to limit the female catch as out of over 40 only 3 have been females.

Re: Marten Sets - 02/01/07 11:32 PM

The problem that I have had with nonvertical sets is that they straightup drift in. It is crazy. Even ones at an angle. And if for some reason the wind is not blowing then it builds up on the pole. Not a big problem if pole is small, but I had sets on naturally occurring sloped trees and six inches of snow pretty much blocks out the pot. But, as Ted pointed out on the swing pole thread, my situation is pretty unique. Not too many places are cursed with 30 feet of snowfall in a winter.

Re: Marten Sets - 02/12/07 06:56 PM

Posted By: Sitkatrapper

Re: Marten Sets - 03/07/07 01:44 AM

Were do you guys get your beaver? do you trap the or buy it? and if you buy it were can i get it?
Posted By: Rick McC

Re: Marten Sets - 03/07/07 06:03 AM

We had lots of marten this year and I set out everything I had - including a few Bionic traps. They are probably the most humane trap and practically fool-proof because of the position the marten has to have its head to pull the bait on the trigger. Their disadvantages outweigh this though. They are expensive, bulky and you have to carry another tool to set them. You can only get a small piece of bait on the trigger which the mice can clean off in a hurry and dries out quick ( I used squirrel legs - the right size and tough so easy to hook on the trigger)I mounted them on a piece of 2X4. My main use in the past was to carry a couple that I could tack to a tree where I was snaring squirrels - if I had a marten stealing from the snare poles.
Posted By: quebectrapper

Re: Marten Sets - 03/07/07 05:58 PM

nice
i notic alot of ur marten are really dark
Posted By: white17

Re: Marten Sets - 03/20/07 06:42 AM

Here's my old stand-by. Wing hanging for bait with a smear of lure.

another view of same set;

Re: Marten Sets - 03/21/07 11:02 PM

White, I can't remember? Is that a #0 or a #1? That is exactly how I caught mine this year....I'm still pumped.
Posted By: fishermann222

Re: Marten Sets - 03/22/07 01:35 AM

from Alaskacajun

Here's a pic of a leaning pole with a chunk of muskrat for bait and using a #1 jump on the pole.... Asa Lenon provided the lure it's pretty strong and if the wind is right I smell the set before I see it!

Re: Marten Sets - 03/22/07 01:51 AM

From Top Jimmy

Here is a set that works on the ground and then swings the marten up off the ground when he gets caught.

It is good for those marten that won't climb to a bucket.

-TJ

Re: Marten Sets - 03/22/07 02:01 AM

Question from SE_ALASKAN
TJ- how did you attach that pecker pole to the tree with loosly tied wire? and is it attached to the tree in the middle or 3/4 of the way down for a pivot point? have you ever tried attaching your bait to the triggers of a 120 ?

Answer from Top Jimmy
Loose wire is how it was done there, as it is faster to set up. That set takes a lot of work to get up compaired to a lean to pole or box/pot set, and any time you can save is great. I have heard of guys drilling out a hole and then using a nail in there as well for a swivel point. The swivel point is about 1/3 to 1/4 from the tip of the pole (I haven't heard the term "pecker pole" since I left Wrangell by the way!) with the heavy end of the pole in the air. You want all the weight at the back end so it will swing up the marten. And like Recondo said, you will take more females with this set, so be careful not to over do it.

I have not tied anything to the coni triggers. Takes to much time when making sets and I would rather have them focus on the bait past the trap so that they shoot in and get suit cased instead of just one bar getting them. I want them D.. E.. A.. D.. Dead! I don't want them struggling the trap at all.

Re: Marten Sets - 03/22/07 05:15 AM

Posted by Rick Phillips
Piperniner, this is one of my marten stretchers. I make them out of lath, actually. You have to pick through the bin and get good straight ones without knots. I cut them 36" long and use the waste part to make the spreaders. I cut the slots in the spreaders with a router, but you could just bore a series of holes and dress the edges with your pocket knife. I use 1/4" bolts with a wing nut on the active side.

I use the same stretchers for both males and females; just make a mark at 4" wide on the spreader for females and 4 1/2" for males. I like to pin the tail out flat, so I slip a piece of thin cardboard under the tail to bridge the gap in the stretcher, then press it flat under a piece of window screen.

This is the rack I made to save myself some space in the fur shed. If I caught as many as Takotna, I'd need two of them .

Re: Marten Sets - 03/22/07 09:16 PM

Posted by Family Trapper
Lots of marten sign and wolverine also.

A bit frustrated however as sets I had check after the 4 day Christmas Break only yielded 2 females. And about 7-8 walk bys.
Dang I hate that. They just wouldn't climb up and have a look even. Pretty frustrated. Talked with Takotna last night for a long time. He sees it too.
Man in Montana I would never see a marten go by a set.
Rick do you experience that in Idaho?
Sure does dampen the enthusiam.

Seeing a lot of sign like this.
1 Old Track but since the Christmas snow, 2 a little snow in the track and 3 was just there. Better be in my set when I come back.

After the walk bys I started giving them everything I had.
Beaver, grouse, flagging, sable oil, tainted eel/glycerin. A darn varitable smorgishboard.!! I have been putting my beaver in the orange bait sack mess they use for commercial fishing. Holds the bait nice and I think the birds will have a harder time getting it all. Works nice to hold the bait in buckets as well. Frozen beaver is hard to wire. $.15 a foot.

These are both females.
Are they young of the year? Is the one on the right maybe a yearling?

With the marten being finicky I started to set plant pot sets at about a foot off the ground with a tip up. Pretty easy set up and should swing them up about 7 feet.
I will post picts next time of them before and after.
Hoping that they will go into the low sets better. I found a great supplier for the plant pots if you guys need any.
I have been using the 300's. I know Dusty suggested the 400's but the ones I got ended up being smaller for some reasons I won't go into. Anyway they seem to work great. The trap fits into them just right. The corners of the trap hold onto the conibear. I wire them onto the tree also. Your conibear holder needs to hold them out away from the tree however. I am making s like Dusty showed. Had a hard time finding steel so I went to the dump and took the sides off a stove. Just the right guage and it cuts with a sheet metal cutter. I will post some picts when I get the process down.
Plant pots

Posted by Trailblazersteve
Len,sorry to hear of your "marten luck".I am real interested on how you do this year.Good luck!Can't tell by the pic to well but it looks like your leaning pole is at a pretty steep incline which I don't think is to big of deal but it also looks like your bait and trap are pretty high off the ground,might just be the pic.I too commited to a certain type trapping marten this year and am pleased with the results.I am using the paper box's(trimmed and slotted),110's and using fish and muskrat for bait.The fish seems to be working better then the rats.I was using Lenon's marten lure but found it to be to weak with the cold temps so I phoned him and he suggested that I try his fisher lure which contains alot more skunk.Started seeing great results the first check after using it.I am mounting the box's on bent or leaning trees and also on top of big broken tree trunks.None of my box's are higher then 4 feet off the ground.I figure as long as the marten are off the ground I'm ok.Only lost one to a fox.The 110's are working great but I did have one marten alive.I'm positive that he was "just" caught because it snowed that night and I seen his fresh tracks going to the set.Been using a strip(2-3') of red tape tied a few feet away from the set.

Posted by Family Trapper
Thanks Steve. I will give Asa a call and get some of that Fisher lure. I have some Gusto and mixed it with my tainted eel. Guess I will have to try some straight. Man I hate that skunk. Scared to get it on me and have to live with myself in a tent.
Right now I am trying to figure out the fastest way to get sets out. I really want get them to hang high from fox. I might try just putting some buckets high and wiring off to a branch to hang them. Save cutting a tree to tip up. I have lots of country but having a hard time getting a lot of sets out in a day with conditions as they are, new country, portages to cut, and all new lines to prep. But what a great job!
Sat phone is awesome.

posted by Trialblazersteve
I would think that gusto should work fine.Mayby your sets are just a little high.I'm catching males and females about equally.I'm not in the best marten country and have a set every 300 or 400 yards on a 7 mile loop.I'm catching one or two a week.Took me a while to get all the sets in place because i have to snow shoe the whole loop.I can pack 12 (6x6)of my box's on my frame pack and they are already baited and have the coni in them ready to set.Just snowed 2 feet yesterday so I'm not to thrilled about checking this weekend.But on my other line the cats are realy starting to move!!

posted by famly trapper I am setting a bit high but they seem to either climb or not climb. Something out there has to get there attention to investigate. I would like to have a 1000 tainted voles for bait.

Marten trapper. You mentioned using rasberry jam I think one time. I was maybe going to take some and mix it with glycerin and see if it got there attention. Some kind of aromtic sweet smell maybe. I am going to keep trying things until I get something that drives them crazy!!!!

Re: Marten Sets - 03/22/07 09:24 PM

posted by Loel
Len, I made up some lure using raspberry jam and some caster.I also watered it down with glycol to keep it from freezing. The first two years I used it it worked great. This year I couldn't get the marten to break stride for it. So I went to gusto and I am having some luck with it. The berry mix also works on lynx. The caster gets them in.

Re: Marten Sets - 03/22/07 09:27 PM

posted by trapperjoeAK
Marten Trappers: Do you seem to see less marten movement during periods of heavy snowfall? It seems reasonable to me, and what I am seeing on the line certainly seems to reflect it; but I was wondering if others though so too.
posted by Loel

Joe, last weeks check was a good one for me. The marten were moving good on my line. I think it has more to do with the temps then the snow. In my area at least. With it being real warm, 28 above, they were moving good.It is normaly about -20 up there. One of the ones I cought last week was still warm to the touch. I pulled it out of the 120 and reset it. I also had a marten come through on the way back out.

Re: Marten Sets - 03/22/07 09:39 PM

posted by Martentrapper
Yes I did talk about jam, Len. I used to put it on the pole, bout half way up. It also attracts the voles, which could help attract marten.
No seal oil? I've used that on the pole also. Maybe you need a better visual. Try some sets without the pots. Maybe a combo of trap and snare.
I once flew into a lake on the Inoko R. country. Had the same problem. Couldn't even catch the marten in ground cubbies. Flew in there around 4 or 5 times, walking around the lake, making sets. In about 3 weeks, with lots of sign, only ended with 2 marten!
They say in the minchumina country, marten won't climb. Trappers there use ground sets. Or some do.

Posted by Family Trapper
I have a question for experienced marten trappers.
In my quest to find a faster set to construct. Will marten climb birch as readily as a spruce. Seems I spend more time than I would like clearing limbs on the spruce for my buckets sets with tip ups. And the black spruce don't have limbs to tie to to get them to hang away from the tree. I have passed up a lot of birch thinking the spruce looks much more inviting to climb up. I know they could climb a birch with out problem but I don't want to give them any excuses to pass a bucket that is 5 feet off the ground. The birch gives me a good lateral limb to tie off to a lot of times.
posted by Rick Phillips
FT, are the marten going past the birch tree? If so, I'll bet you could set on it with good bait and the marten will go after it. I've caught marten on lodgepole, spruce, Douglas fir, Alpine fir, cottonwood, and even aspen. One of my most productive sets is on a dead aspen leaning into a live one. I've caught from 4 to 7 marten at that place for four years running. Shoot....he doesn't plan to sleep up there, he just wants whatever it is that smells so good. Just my opinion, and that and a couple of bucks will get you a Pepsi most anywhere.
posted by Takotna
Ftrapper, in my years of trapping when they don't want to climb don't waste your time figuring out why beacause to this day I don't think anyone has figured it out Just keep setting for when the weather changes or they get hungry your ready, I think you'll be in for a surprise check soon by the sound of all the sign your seeing now. PATIENCE
posted by Trailblazersteve
Len,you got me thinking about the tree thing and I have sets on all types.I even like to find big broken tree stumps and lean a pole to it and mount my box on top.I caught 4 in one such stump.Thought I might have found a den because I caught a big male,female and 2 juvi's.But after thinking,I have caught almost all of my marten this year on big leaning birch,8-10" dia.Arctictrapper posted some pics of some marten he caught on a big birch that crossed a creek so I agree with Takotna,I mean he is the marten master,that they either will climb or they won't.I think alot has to do with hunger just like cats.Very fustrating when you see cats tracks walk down a trail within inches of a stinky cubby with wings tied all around and he never skips a beat.

Re: Marten Sets - 03/24/07 12:31 AM

Rick: if you dry those marten nose-down they'll fluff up a little better and generally be worth a bit more $$.

A bit frustrated however as sets I had check after the 4 day Christmas Break only yielded 2 females. And about 7-8 walk bys.

Bummer. Sometimes, they just won't climb and you have to go to ground sets if you want to catch marten. Only having females climb to the sets combined with them not seeming to be very interested in your bait makes me think that maybe you don't have all that many marten around. 3 sets of tracks in the same place makes me think you just have picky marten tho....

Generally, the massetter muscles do approach the sagittal crest as they age, but the ONLY (mostly) accurate aging method is pulling a tooth.

I really think lure, as it applies to marten, is more effective for trappers than critters. If you can smell it, they'll probably check it out.

Re: Marten Sets - 03/26/07 04:58 PM

question from Family Trapper
Question marten trappers.
I am going to be prebaiting a bunch of pots with the beaver meat. Something I was thinking of doing was after I bait and stack, I was thinking of leaving the pots in a warm place for 3-4 days and let the meat get a little tainted. Smells more for sure.
Since the meat has not been frozen they won't leak blood like thawing bait would. I put butcher paper on top of each piece of bait to keep them from sticking to the next pot.

Do you think the tainting is a good idea vs the fresh and frozen beaver meat?

Reply Martentrapper
I think it is a good idea. More smell, but still tasty to a marten.
Have you tried the jam?
mt

Re: Marten Sets - 03/26/07 11:22 PM

Posted by Rick Phillips
All right guys, Bushman brings up a question I'd like answered. Joe Mattie's video recommends that you pin the hind legs on the tail side of the board so they make the back look longer. Bushman says to keep them on the belly side. Gimme some debate on this. I always pinned them on the belly side up til this year, but have all of mine pinned on the back now. Actually, part of the leg wraps around the edge of the board and is on the belly side, too. Have I screwed up? HELP!

Reply from Kusko
Rick, I do the same thing. Pin them on the edge. Also, good tip via Dusty through FT on putting them upside down. The hair really like to stay standing. I show a couple of friend my marten yesterday. #1 they are astounded just for the sake of never seeing one and another guy asked me who tanned it for me (it was still on the board) :).

reply from Takotna
I do like kusko and Rick with marten also.

Reply from Dusty
My marten all go on 4" wide 3/4" thick boards. They look a LOT better on the thicker boards, according to the fella that writes the check. I believe Interior marten are a bit bigger than elsewhere in the state, so perhaps this doesn't work for all of them.
I pin hind legs against the tail, as does everyone I know. That said, Alaskans are notorious for doing strange things to fur, and perhaps NAFA doesn't like that.

Re: Marten Sets - 03/28/07 02:34 AM

Posted by Family Trapper

If you have sap try hand cleaner on it. My favorite sap remover.

Re: Marten Sets - 03/28/07 02:54 AM

Question by Rick Phillips
Well Ken, how do you like those coni's for marten now?

Answer from White17
Well Rick I have mixed emotions. I like the fact that they dont bang around and mess themselves up. I like the weather proof-ness of the set and the bird proof aspect of it. I don't like the packing extra traps of course and I really didn't like the edema and hematoma that the trap caused. Is that normal ? These 110's did not kill. Only one was dead when I found him. When skinning them, there was a lot of fluid at the strike site. This might be because they didn't expire right away.

All that said, I do plan to use a few more on my line next year. Maybe an old dog can learn new tricks. Think I'll go with the 120's however.

Re: Marten Sets - 03/28/07 02:54 AM

Posted by Kusko

I have a little plan for next year's marten that I am going to try since there aren't very many camp robbers (and marten ehehehhehhe) in my neck of the woods. I am going to bring my own 8 foot poles along to speed up my set making process. I'm going to get a bunch of 2 by 2's that are 8 foot long and have them almost ready to go. I'll just add a foothold, nail it to the tree, put my wing up and be gone. I didn't have any fox problems this year, no wolverine and lynx weren't hungry enough. I think I can have a set up in about 2 minutes.

Re: Marten Sets - 03/28/07 02:56 AM

Posted by Rick Phillips
Ken, I used 110's for one season and said never again. Like you, I had problems with them not killing quickly, and the way I was using them they were hard to stabilize. I have a friend who uses them all the time and likes them. He uses wooden boxes and has a piece of square wood screwed to the bottom to clamp his traps on. It holds them nice. Dusty obviously likes them. To each his own. I've got my system down to where it works well for me, so will probably keep doing it unless I find something radically better.

I seem to remember you were going to try some differant lures for marten this year. Did that happen? If so, do you have any recommendations?

I did use some Dobbins Klondike Call that Paul had doctored up with a bit more skunk. It worked just fine on Marten and was long lasting as well. I could smell it at 20 below when I was within 6 feet or so. I'm sure the marten could smell it quite a bit further.

Answer from White17
I also used some Dobbin's Backbreaker. This worked well on marten also. In fact I would say they prefered the Backbreaker over the Klondike Call but both worked just fine. I would like to see the Backbreaker in a liquid rather than a paste form though as I like to use a squeeze bottle to apply lure rather than a stick. The backbreaker got pretty thick (but always useable) at low temperatures. One could say that with backbreaker you will be Dobbin it all over the trees to attract critters. (Hows that for an advertising slogan ?)

Re: Marten Sets - 03/28/07 10:39 PM

Otterman those are very nicely handled marten. I've never used a split board for marten. How are you joining the nose of the two boards? On larger stretchers I used wire or pipe banding across the top. On a small board for a marten I could see that being a problem with the hide drying to the connector,

As for those marten that pass by your sets,try an experiment next year. Keep your weasel carcass and use them in your marten boxes. I've seen good results. I believe that martens can't resist robbing a weasel cache and the scent of one lures them in.
Posted By: white17

Re: Marten Sets - 03/28/07 11:41 PM

I don't use two piece boards for marten but on my larger boards (wolf, wolverine, otter) I connect the nose of the board with a dowel. I Make a one piece board, then drill a 1/4" hole all the way through the nose part from side to side on the edge. Next I run the board through the table saw. Fit a 1/4" dowel into the hole and cut it off at the outside. Works well keeping the board the width you want it.

Re: Marten Sets - 03/28/07 11:44 PM

Bushman that wasn't my post that was one I moved to the archive it is Rick Phillips and those are his marten. I am sure he will be glad to answre your questions

Re: Marten Sets - 03/29/07 07:14 PM

Some excellent ideas on the split stretchers. Thanks
Posted By: Fergustrap

Re: Marten thread/archive - 05/26/07 12:24 AM

this is double shot
© 2024 Trapperman Forums