Home

Must see and do's in Anchorage area

Posted By: ou812

Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/22/24 03:48 PM

Will be flying in Mid April, staying Fri-Mon. What are some of the must do things while there. Never been. Eating places, breweries, excursions, etc.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/22/24 04:25 PM

Honestly, I have a hard time finding anything to do there.
Posted By: SE.Current

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/23/24 12:40 AM

Barney’s outdoor chalet is the only thing that brings me to Anchorage besides the root beer at moose’s tooth.
Posted By: smalltimetrapper

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/23/24 01:51 AM

Visit the Fiori D'Italia if you like whiskey. The owner there is quite the aficionado.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/26/24 02:16 AM

Probably won't be a van Halen concert at that time!
Posted By: teacherman

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/26/24 03:46 AM

Head out to Girdwood, stop at Beluga point, check out Turnigan Arm there, turn around look up on the hill at the sheep. In Girdwood eat at Chair 5 Pizza or if you want all out Double Musky. Besides that it’s pretty up on hillside, you’d see a few moose and good views. Rabbit Slough isn’t a bad little spot to walk around either.
Posted By: GUK

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/26/24 04:40 AM

#1 thing I would do is leave Anchorage. Minus a few good places to eat and shop Anchorage is just a northern version of most any city any where.
Go to the valley, go to the peninsula all roads lead out of Anchorage.

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/26/24 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by GUK
#1 thing I would do is leave Anchorage. Minus a few good places to eat and shop Anchorage is just a northern version of most any city any where.
Go to the valley, go to the peninsula all roads lead out of Anchorage.

I hear ya, daughter is flying in from Okinawa for 3 weeks of training, so just there for a long weekend.

Thanks for the reply's, looking forward to seeing the area at least, if nothing else for the mountains.
Posted By: Malukchuk

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/26/24 07:58 PM

Glacier brew house ( good food), 49th state brewing have good beer. Club Paris is a good place for dinner. Fletchers is a bar/restraunt inside the hotel Captain cook with good food get the Halibut rockafeller.
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/27/24 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by smalltimetrapper
Visit the Fiori D'Italia if you like whiskey. The owner there is quite the aficionado.

Surprised you know of that place! Talk about a hidden away gem. We live on the same street so if you are ever there again swing by.

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/27/24 04:17 PM

Driving up Arctic Valley is worth it for the view.
Posted By: teacherman

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/27/24 04:31 PM

The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is pretty fun to if your not from the area.
Posted By: white17

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/27/24 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Malukchuk
Glacier brew house ( good food), 49th state brewing have good beer. Club Paris is a good place for dinner. Fletchers is a bar/restraunt inside the hotel Captain cook with good food get the Halibut rockafeller.

X2 on Club Paris !
Posted By: Trailblazersteve

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/27/24 10:38 PM

When was the last time any of you have been to Club Paris? Been going, or should I say went there for 34 years. 2 proms and a proposal to my second wife there thru the years. Been twice in the last year or so and both times not nearly as good and not nearly the portions, and service was very disappointing. Heard new owners and menu changed. Won’t ever go back, sad. Sullivans across the street has taken up the slack with excellent food. Sit in the bar area, you can eat like a king and watch the street entertainment walk by thru the windows..
Posted By: Trailblazersteve

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/27/24 10:55 PM

Drive up to the Matanuska Glacier pull outs mid to late day, stop and eat in Wasilla at Chops Steakhouse for the sunset and dinner and then pick an evening activity of your choice. Next day, take Teacherman’s advice and head south towards Girdwood and do exactly what he recommended. If you’re forced to stay in town, hit the Fur Exchange on a Tudor, eat at Sullivans, drive thru Kincade Park then and hit Port Worensoff for the sun set. If it’s out..
Posted By: Ric

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/28/24 03:27 PM

You could always visit the new memorial celebrating James's departure grin
Posted By: Thurman

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/28/24 05:19 PM

I personally like Whales tale in the cook way mor ethe club paris, but it might because they buy my kings in the summer..... Id really suggest kinkad park for great chances to see a moose, the coastal trail is nice out by the airport and we always enjoy the drive out to girdwood or Hope if you have the time. Mooses tooth is good pizza and better beer but the lines can be really long. My son really suggests the trampoline place on old seward by the zoo but he is six.
Posted By: white17

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 03/28/24 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Trailblazersteve
When was the last time any of you have been to Club Paris? Been going, or should I say went there for 34 years. 2 proms and a proposal to my second wife there thru the years. Been twice in the last year or so and both times not nearly as good and not nearly the portions, and service was very disappointing. Heard new owners and menu changed. Won’t ever go back, sad. Sullivans across the street has taken up the slack with excellent food. Sit in the bar area, you can eat like a king and watch the street entertainment walk by thru the windows..

Oh man that is bad news. I haven't been to Club Paris in about three years. Sad to hear it's gone downhill.

Anyone tried Sushi 'N Sushi since they moved down to International Airport rd ?

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 04/25/24 01:52 AM

Made it up and back......beautiful country. We'll be back sans the daughter for a longer stay. Think I would like mid June time frame. Weather was OK obviously not tourist season. Here are my take aways.....I didn't expect the homeless problem that Anchorage has and maybe it's bad just in downtown area. Stayed in bnb by Elderberry Park. 49th brewery was good food and atmosphere. Kinda liked the spicy Carmel corn for snacking. Not a fan of IPA beer so limited my experience a little. The brew house was by far the best food of trip, sat at the bar by bartender, that guy worked his backside off as the order machine never stopped. Went to David Green fur gallery. Got to go into the vault with the owner, talkative gal, a whole bunch of product back there. Went to Kincaid and saw some moose, wife's highlight of trip. Drove down and saw the bore tide roll in, some crazies were out in the water riding the wave. Weather that day was rainy so didn't go all the way to Seward. 4/20 had lines coming out of the dispensaries, lol. Drove to Denali Park and had clear skies all day. Did go to the salmon hatchery, wrong time of year, but definitely state of art facility.

Thanks for the suggestions, obviously short trip didn't allow for longer drives.

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 04/25/24 04:36 PM

Glad to hear you had a good trip to Alaska. The homeless problem in Anchorage is all over the city. The camps move from one location to the next and are just horrible. Not to mention all the homeless just standing, sitting and laying around. You sure wouldn't think our weather would be conducive to being homeless but they keep multiplying.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 05/02/24 12:56 AM

Eat at "Simon and Seafort's", order the "stuffed Halibut". Go to "The Antique Gallery" about a block away, you'll be able to see some really terrific Native crafts and Alaskan artwork. This is "off season, so if you want to splurge and stay at a really nice Hotel, the Captain Cook Hotel is right there about a block away, you'll pay about 1/3 of the summer rate in April, still $150 or so a night, but with fantastic views of the town. This is for first timer's, people that have been there and done that, not so much. Don't forget Humpy's for lunch and a dinner or two. OH, and the Alaska Museum of science and nature" downtown is good as well. All within walking distance.

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 05/02/24 02:05 AM

[Linked Image]

Ahh yes, the Captain Cook. Nothing but the finest…..LOL.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 05/02/24 09:49 PM

^^^^^^^
Ha, ha. When was that, about 1975?

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 05/03/24 01:48 AM

No, it was 2023…..
And no, it did not ring for me while I used the thunder bucket.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 05/04/24 01:27 AM

Should have checked out the bums' camp behind Lowes on Tudor. Reminded of our old dump. Looked like the hazmat crew was cleaning it up when i rode by.
Posted By: otterman

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 05/12/24 04:09 PM

Dirt was in Lowes last week and one of the employees mentioned that land had been bought and new owner was clearing things out for some new construction
Posted By: isnarewolves

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 05/12/24 04:16 PM

Gotta go see and walk the "Long Trail". a must.
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Must see and do's in Anchorage area - 05/13/24 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by isnarewolves
Gotta go see and walk the "Long Trail". a must.

Or maybe just start "brushing it out" so construction can proceed soon....
© 2024 Trapperman Forums