Home

Wolf collar

Posted By: Hankit

Wolf collar - 02/12/24 04:21 AM

Do any of you guys know what kind of collar this is. Looks like ir has a camera in it. I’ve caught quite a few collared wolves but there normally radio collars and 1 being a gps style collar. Wolf is to froze to remove collar so not sure if it’s a state or federal collar.

Attached picture D03FF281-5720-4A1D-AE95-A128BF898C86.jpeg
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Wolf collar - 02/12/24 11:24 AM

Fascinating! I've gotten several collared wolves over the years, (including one tagged/collared by the Canadian F&W Service,) but never seen anything that complex. Perhaps that wolf was filming for a new "reality" tv show?!!

ADFG will likely know. Please share what you learn when you turn it in.

Pete
Posted By: isnarewolves

Re: Wolf collar - 02/12/24 03:55 PM

I also have never seen one like that, not even in fish and game office.
Posted By: smalltimetrapper

Re: Wolf collar - 02/12/24 10:39 PM

Probably a Soviet intel gathering mission. Glad you took that one out.
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Wolf collar - 02/13/24 02:07 AM

Hahaha that is a good one Nate!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Wolf collar - 02/13/24 02:45 AM

You hear a knock on your door...and....surprise.
They found you.

Reminds me of a tracker they put on a Irish barnicle goose that nest in Greenland. It was shot and stored in a chest freezer in Canada's high artic and every time the lid was opened up went a signal. Finely they tracked it down and sent someone to pick it up.

Re: Wolf collar - 02/13/24 03:52 AM

It’s ok I wrapped it in tin foil before I put it in the sled.
Posted By: Chickenminer

Re: Wolf collar - 02/13/24 05:44 AM

Smile you're on Canine Camera eek
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Wolf collar - 02/13/24 12:09 PM

Maybe is the Chinese government's attempt at another weather tracking device ? Ha ha

Re: Wolf collar - 02/13/24 04:06 PM

Sounds like it was a federal collar. The fed's are using them in 40mile and Denali. You know, because you tax payers can afford them. laugh

Re: Wolf collar - 02/13/24 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hankit
It’s ok I wrapped it in tin foil before I put it in the sled.

Would it have safer if, you had rapped the tin foil over your head? BTW, how many trappers carry tin foil on the line?
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Wolf collar - 02/13/24 05:27 PM

I carry tin foil, Tony's Cajun seasoning, butter, to cook Ptarmigan with on coals. Food is my weakness, I'll carry extra weight when I'm winter camping.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Wolf collar - 02/13/24 05:38 PM

Looks like the one in this article.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/t...1b5721f5504e6daffbd1eb7e6d7496&ei=21
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Wolf collar - 02/13/24 06:00 PM

Thats interesting. Didn't know they were doing camera collars on wolves. It would be neat if they shared the footage and gps data with you.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Wolf collar - 02/13/24 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by broncoformudv
Thats interesting. Didn't know they were doing camera collars on wolves. It would be neat if they shared the footage and gps data with you.

Especially the footage of him approaching the snare and getting caught.

Re: Wolf collar - 02/13/24 08:46 PM

That would be awesome to see the wolf's behavior as he entered the snare!

Pete

Re: Wolf collar - 02/14/24 03:35 AM

It was the tinfoil from my hat. I know I went unprotected but had no choice.
Talked to the blm wolf guy today. It is a federal collar and it takes a 30 sec video every hour during daylight hours. So now the feds know what the inside of my garage looks like. Had a good talk with him about the wolf and its pair. We had also caught the female that was with it the week before and was also collared with a normal collar.
Posted By: AKHowler

Re: Wolf collar - 02/14/24 04:04 AM

Does BLM give you anything for the collar? The State used to give you $25 but they quit doing that. Did you ask if they would share any of the videos? Good work this year.

Re: Wolf collar - 02/14/24 03:46 PM

What area was the two wolves from?
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Wolf collar - 02/15/24 03:32 AM

I read a short article somewhere about those type collars, but can't recall where.
I caught a marten one time that had a tiny metal clip in it's ear, (but no collar), about the size of a grain of rice. With a magnifying glass I could see "080".
When I had it sealed, I pointed it out, and the biologist asked where exactly I caught it.
Turned out they had an on-going wolverine study going on, and the big log-walled traps had a drop-top lid with a trigger rigged to send a signal via sattelite back to Juneau telling them they had a wolverine.
They then chartered a helicopter to the catch site. That little marten triggered that trap, (and got caught), 4 times! It had one very distinct white foot, and was easy to identify, (and sell on Taxi.net).
Well, after the 4th time, he got a helicopter ride, and was deposited about 6 miles from my line. He now resides in Ohio, in all his full body glory.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Re: Wolf collar - 02/16/24 06:27 PM

No they didn’t give us anything for them. They wanted whisker samples for a diet analysis.
They’re from the upper Goodpaster. Collared in the Charley
Posted By: victor#0

Re: Wolf collar - 02/16/24 08:22 PM

Pretty neat. Ive donated wolf whiskers to Matt Sorum the Park Service biologist and afterwards they gave me the results of what the wolves were eating. It's always nice to have a good working relationship with the area biologist, I've learned a lot from them and they've learned a lot from me.

Re: Wolf collar - 02/17/24 12:44 AM

Yeah he was really nice to talk to. We had a good conversation.
Posted By: Top Jimmy

Re: Wolf collar - 02/18/24 08:22 PM

Best part of that would be seeing from their view when they came to the set and how they may have acted. Would also be cool to see any kills they were on.

-TJ
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Wolf collar - 02/18/24 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
Best part of that would be seeing from their view when they came to the set and how they may have acted. Would also be cool to see any kills they were on.

-TJ

someone should invite that Bio to a Canadian conference so then the data can become a public domain and be shared....like that is going to happen.
Posted By: Team V

Re: Wolf collar - 02/21/24 04:43 AM

Have a wolf with a collar on it in back of truck right now. Have turned them in before but they give you barely any info on them if any . My question is do you have to turn them in. It was on my legally caught wolf witch means it should be mine. Does not say any wear on it that I have to turn it in .

Re: Wolf collar - 02/21/24 11:59 AM

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. But James has gone south, so here you go:

5 AAC 92.160. Marked or tagged game.
A person who takes an animal that has been marked or tagged by the department for scientific studies shall, within a reasonable time, notify the department of the date when, and the place where, the animal was killed. Any ear tag, collar, radio, tattoo, or other identification must be retained with the hide until it is sealed, if sealing is required, and in all cases any identification equipment must be returned to the department.

In the interest of stirring the pot: Years ago I caught a wolf with a National Park Service collar on it. (Apparently the poor thing was starving in Denali and had to leave to hunt on State land where prey is more abundant!) My argument at the time was that the reg clearly states you have to turn in collars for animals "marked or tagged by THE DEPARTMENT." Not the NPS! It was a lot of fun!

Follow me for more administrative pot-stirring tips...!

Pete
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: Wolf collar - 02/21/24 12:46 PM

Be nice to get that data. I’ve got a little collection of them. (Not wolves that I got). The number of wolves that were introduced into national parks are getting thin…..cuz there’s nothing more to eat…lol. They’re moving to where the food is or scavenge off people’s garbage….and once wolves get habituated, they’re a bit different than coyotes. More people are for coyote control, but when wolves come into play they want to leave them be…..weird.
Except Alaska, the one state that seems to manage the population. So far in most parts of Canada, we’re still ok as far as I know. There was some kinda event going on in eastern Ontario/Quebec to get their wolves bumped up to endangered, not sure what came of it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums