Home

Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes

Posted By: muskrat411

Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/22/24 08:11 PM

Any body know of any where that make cold weather bindings for snowshoes? I bought new bindings but to cold they to stiff can't even stay tight. Real rubber bindings would be what I'm looking for.
Also need the bindings to fit over large winter boots.
Posted By: AkWoodsman95

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/22/24 08:23 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The old bob Macki ones are pretty good. I had to trim some rubber to get my Mukluks/bunny boots in but I like em.

Also carry lamp wick just in case.
Posted By: white17

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/22/24 08:34 PM

I have always preferred leather

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/22/24 08:43 PM

He still in business? Can i google him? Those Bob Macki bindings are exactly what I was looking for. Even same aluminum military snowshoes.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/22/24 08:44 PM

Interior natives used to use moose hide bindings. Hollow braid rope works.

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/22/24 09:00 PM

A taxidermist from Main called me one time looking for a beluga skin. He said the Creek in Northern Quebec use them for snowshoes. The best snowshoes there is he said. I could not find anyone who wanted to skin a beluga.
Beluga are usually just cut up into slabs and used for muktuk. Some people aldo dry the meat.
Posted By: victor#0

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/22/24 09:24 PM

Maine guide snowshoes mgsnowhoes.com master guide bindings are the best I've ever used and I've been using mine for 10 years and have used them down to -60 no problem. I've used them hard and have put a lot of miles on them, all but indestructible! They also will replace the straps for free if you wear them out however I still haven't worn mine out.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/23/24 04:47 AM

I have neoprene bindings on mine. They must be 40 years old, I used them the other day and still holding up ok, they dont ice up, but looking a bit dry rotted, they didnt break though. I am about ready to change them out any year now.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/23/24 04:51 AM

Lampwick.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/23/24 06:59 AM

Plain old moose skin bindings on my snowshoes.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/23/24 05:02 PM

One strap over the toes and a cut across piece of inner tube over the toes and around the heel. The inner tube carry on your leg and over the toes when you mount your shoes.

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/23/24 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by victor#0
Maine guide snowshoes mgsnowhoes.com master guide bindings are the best I've ever used and I've been using mine for 10 years and have used them down to -60 no problem. I've used them hard and have put a lot of miles on them, all but indestructible! They also will replace the straps for free if you wear them out however I still haven't worn mine out.

You have a contact for Maine Guide snowshoes?
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/23/24 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by muskrat411
Originally Posted by victor#0

You have a contact for Maine Guide snowshoes?

http://www.mgsnowshoes.com/Products2.html
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/24/24 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Lampwick.

and a yard of lampwick/shoe at a time.
Tie up is -criss-cross=apple sauce- bring it on up and....keep lefty away from righty (your tie points)

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/24/24 03:32 PM

I think some of us would like to see/hear more on those skiis, Tatiana. Length? What fur type on bottom? Probably would be hard for us to get some here.
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/24/24 05:06 PM

Tatiana I am with martentrapper, we would love to see more pictures of your skis and hear about them. I recall watching a video some years ago of a Russian trapper making a set of those.

You have fascinating post and replies. It is always great to see and learn about other countries and how things compare to your own.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/25/24 01:31 AM

I think making your own cross country skis would qualify under Wilderness Living. I would probably never do it, but I to would be interested in reading a thread about it.

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/25/24 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tatiana
they are not difficult to make from scratch by splitting spruce logs but there are compromise solutions based on plywood. Maybe I should make a separate thread but I'm not sure this will be appropriate... I do not feel all that comfortable invading this subforum?

You wouldn't be invading! You would be educating. We all welcome educating!
Posted By: Alder

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/25/24 07:58 AM

Sign me up for a Tatiana ski tutorial. Doesn't matter which thread it's in to me. Super interested!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Xtrm cold weather bindings for snowshoes - 01/25/24 01:47 PM

Tatiana you can always send a email to Paul and he can post on here for you.
Interesting is your tie-down knot is not a quick release type on the bindings.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums