Home

Shee Fish

Posted By: Thurman

Shee Fish - 02/21/23 10:20 PM

We went out looking for Shee fish yesterday real quick after school yesterday. I missed two in a row and my son asked to try and then caught this nice one. He pulled it about half way up before I had to start helping. All through dinner he kept telling his mom he caught it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Aknative

Re: Shee Fish - 02/22/23 01:09 AM

Nice! Dang kids, they outfish their parents and don't realize how awesome what they did was.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Shee Fish - 02/22/23 02:29 AM

Darn nice fish young man keep up the good work ! Next time let your dad catch a couple fish too !!!!!
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Shee Fish - 02/22/23 04:22 PM

Nice fish. Looks like lots of fox bait there. What's the deal with the crab?
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Shee Fish - 02/22/23 07:31 PM

Good sized sheefish and the kids sure look like they are enjoying the time out on the ice.
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Shee Fish - 02/23/23 12:40 AM

Good deal and I bet your proud of that youngster! smile We had a standing rule in our family, $1 first fish, $1 biggest fish, $1 most fish, the kids tried breaking the bank everytime we went smile
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Shee Fish - 02/23/23 12:53 AM

Ha! My wife and I still do the same bet! grin
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Shee Fish - 02/23/23 04:49 AM

You're in Kotz in the winter?

Re: Shee Fish - 02/24/23 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by drasselt
Nice fish. Looks like lots of fox bait there. What's the deal with the crab?

Im guessing what you think is a crab is a head from a shee fish some one had removed out there and the guts sticking out. My daughter kept bringing them to us to show what she was finding haha.

Originally Posted by HFT AK
Good deal and I bet your proud of that youngster! smile We had a standing rule in our family, $1 first fish, $1 biggest fish, $1 most fish, the kids tried breaking the bank everytime we went smile

We play that game as well, always call it bingo, bango, bongo haha.

Originally Posted by martentrapper
You're in Kotz in the winter?

This year yes, working as teachers and I got to coach wrestling which was a blast. Counting down the days till we go fish for the summer, then moving to Unalakleet for the next school year. Hoping to be out at camp most of the time in the next few years once we get a little more money saved up.

And yeah hes a pretty great kid!
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Shee Fish - 02/24/23 04:34 PM

Lived in Unk. from 2000-2003. Really enjoyed the trapping there. Lynx, marten, and wolverine. Nowadays between wind and above freezing temps access to some areas is difficult.
Both of you are teachers? Stebbins, Kotzebue, now to Unk. You have moved quite a bit.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Shee Fish - 02/24/23 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Thurman
Originally Posted by drasselt
What's the deal with the crab?

Im guessing what you think is a crab is a head from a shee fish some one had removed out there and the guts sticking out. My daughter kept bringing them to us to show what she was finding haha.

Copy.

Re: Shee Fish - 02/25/23 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Lived in Unk. from 2000-2003. Really enjoyed the trapping there. Lynx, marten, and wolverine. Nowadays between wind and above freezing temps access to some areas is difficult.
Both of you are teachers? Stebbins, Kotzebue, now to Unk. You have moved quite a bit.

Yes were both teachers, we did 9 years in Stebbins, thought we were going to be in Kotz for longer but after 1 year we decided we missed BSSD and moving to Unalakleet where we know a lot of people. Used to spend year round in Stebbins for 6 years but now have a fish camp in South east for the summer.
Posted By: g smith

Re: Shee Fish - 02/26/23 03:51 AM

I now see the pictures .Thank you . What is the general opinion of the locals on the shee fish to eat ? Are they considered more or less desirable to other species that are available ?

Re: Shee Fish - 02/26/23 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by g smith
I now see the pictures .Thank you . What is the general opinion of the locals on the shee fish to eat ? Are they considered more or less desirable to other species that are available ?

Having very little experince here they seem pretty popular and we really enjoy it.
Posted By: g smith

Re: Shee Fish - 03/01/23 02:51 AM

Thank you Thurman
© 2024 Trapperman Forums